Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I've deleted confirmed information

Rumors from September 30
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumors from October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)

Rumors from October 2-3
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)

Rumors from October 4-5
  • Gettable claiming pick 25 for Neal-Bullen and a future 2nd for Peatling (link)

Rumors from October 6
  • Tom Morris claims we are open to splitting pick 4 (link)

Rumor summary October 8
  • Jon Ralph claims we are not prepared to use a future 2nd on Peatling (link)

Rumor summary October 9
  • Graham Wright will not join Adelaide, instead taking up the Carlton CEO role (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the Peatling trade will involve future 2nd and 3rd round picks, and we have offered him a four year deal at about $600k per season (link)
  • Riley Beveridge claims we asked GWS if they were interested in one of our players in the Peatling trade (link)

Rumor summary October 10

• Collingwood are interested in Justin Reid as their new head of football (link)
  • GWS want our future 2nd and pick 46 for Peatling (link)

Rumor summary October 11

• Poster claims we are attempting to lure Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, maybe in 2025 (link)
  • Tom Morris claims we will do the Peatling deal for pick 46 and a future 2nd provided there are other late pick swaps (link)

Rumor summary October 13

• Tom Morris suggests we have offered a trade involving a swap of future 2nds for Peatling (link)

Last edited:
If he goes into the draft I'd hope we very quickly negotiate a Smith retirement to free up a list spot.
"Sorry Brodie, that contract is actually for the other B.Smith".

So we are only taking one pick into this years draft after trading 46 for melbournes future 3rd ??
No. We currently have picks 4, 64 and 82.

We will use pick #4 on a "live" selection. We will then wait for a Welsh bid, using points from picks 64 and 82 to match. Pick 82 doesn't currently have any points attached, but both 64 and 82 would be expected to "come in" as other clubs use up picks matching other (earlier) bids.

We will pass on our 3rd selection, upgrading a rookie (probably Keane) after the ND.

No. We currently have picks 4, 64 and 82.

We will use pick #4 on a "live" selection. We will then wait for a Welsh bid, using points from picks 64 and 82 to match. Pick 82 doesn't currently have any points attached, but both 64 and 82 would be expected to "come in" as other clubs use up picks matching other (earlier) bids.

We will pass on our 3rd selection, upgrading a rookie (probably Keane) after the ND.
It's worth noting that even if we still had pick 46, we would most likely be doing the same thing.

If I was Melbourne I'd absolutely do that deal every day
That's if they don't want a particular player they think goes 1 or 2 in which case there's every chance they'll use 5 & 9 to get up to the real pointy end if possible.

Could have paid out a couple of players and had a few more cracks at this pool of players. Especially with so many picks on the table due to the bids etc.
And how do you know that we "could have paid out a couple of players"? This is a huge assumption.

"Paying out" a player means that their 2025 contract (and any future years) needs to be included in our 2024 salary cap - which has already been (mostly) spent. I sincerely doubt we have enough room remaining in our 2024 salary cap to pay out more than 1 player, and even then, that player would probably need to be towards the lower end of the salary scale.

Essendon are getting away like bandits here, they get to trade their first into next year and get all the points for Kako - effectively getting a free first rounder without paying anything.

The points they get are worth 1657, or pick 7.

They are paying pick 50 (future 3rd) for points worth pick 7 and moving their first into next year with a team likely to finish around the same spot or lower.

Essendon benefit from the situation they're in. Melbourne can't just use the points system to combine those picks into a real pick 7 to use.

Melbourne effectively traded their future first and pick 28 (aka Alex Neal-Bullen) for pick 9. The other picks later than 40 don't matter too much to Melbourne.

Getting up the order in a strong draft like that is good business.

To me the argument is more about players we didn't need to have on our list. Like Sloane this year.

There is no need for us to have Smith on the list. Ridiculous that we pushed him through to an extension and then dropped him.

I would say the following should not be on the list:
Smith
Schoenberg
Burgess

We could have easily removed one or two of these to add in extra talent before the compromised drafts.

Then you also have the following fringe guys:
Chayce
Berry
Pedlar
Cook
Borlase
T Murray
Bond
Butts (I would be trying to encourage a trade)

Some of these are good depth and some have promise, but if we really wanted to cut the fat and try for more talent, we could.

I just think we missed an opportunity in a deep draft to add in extra young talent. Again it seems like we think we have a top 4 list.

Can you genuinely formulate some sort of trade with those names that gets us a pick useful enough to take advantage of this quality draft?
I cant see any of those guys attracting a pick in the 20s or better.

Cats and their fans have me shaking my head at their entitlement thinking that pick 17 for Smith is 'overs' and dogs should be over the moon with the offer. I'd love a club to come out and say they'd take him at the draft if he was walked.
Been watching a few footy shows, I wouldnt rule out the Saints taking him.

Would love if they do, as I dont want to see the Cats improve on last season.

Essendon benefit from the situation they're in. Melbourne can't just use the points system to combine those picks into a real pick 7 to use.

Melbourne effectively traded their future first and pick 28 (aka Alex Neal-Bullen) for pick 9. The other picks later than 40 don't matter too much to Melbourne.

Getting up the order in a strong draft like that is good business.
We'll know over time, still a lot to play out (where the F1 pick lands, who they pick and how he goes) - but yep, Melb have a huge hand this year now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you genuinely formulate some sort of trade with those names that gets us a pick useful enough to take advantage of this quality draft?
I cant see any of those guys attracting a pick in the 20s or better.
That's not the point. It's about list space. Delist them. Use picks. I'm not talking about trading for extra picks.

We are getting in 3 1st 22 players plus pick 4
4 and Welsh.

I'm not complaining, assuming we nail the pick.
It is absolutely a good off season. Hopefully one of the best we have had.
Doesn't mean we couldn't have trimmed the fat a bit more and added some additional talent.

And how do you know that we "could have paid out a couple of players"? This is a huge assumption.

"Paying out" a player means that their 2025 contract (and any future years) needs to be included in our 2024 salary cap - which has already been (mostly) spent. I sincerely doubt we have enough room remaining in our 2024 salary cap to pay out more than 1 player, and even then, that player would probably need to be towards the lower end of the salary scale.
Of course I don't know for certain it would be doable. But considering our only acquisition for 2024 was Burgess - I can't see us pushing 100% on the salary cap for 2024. But again it's more about how we have gone about managing the list to get to this point (smith trigger, burgess, signing on Berry, etc.)

And even you suggest we could have done it with one player at least - freeing up the spot to grab another player in this draft.

That's not the point. It's about list space. Delist them. Use picks. I'm not talking about trading for extra picks.
With what picks?

We currently have picks 4, 64 & 82. Delisting an additional player gives us pick #100. Delisting a 2nd player gets us pick #118 - assuming we still have sufficient room in the 2024 salary cap to pay them out (unlikely).

Quite frankly, I'd rather have them on the list in 2025 than a player picked in the 4th or 5th round.

With what picks?

We currently have picks 4, 64 & 82. Delisting an additional player gives us pick #102. Delisting a 2nd player gets us pick #120 - assuming we still have sufficient room in the 2024 salary cap to pay them out (unlikely).

Quite frankly, I'd rather have them on the list in 2025 than a player picked in the 4th or 5th round.

Rookie selections have paid off for us before.

Of course I don't know for certain it would be doable. But considering our only acquisition for 2024 was Burgess - I can't see us pushing 100% on the salary cap for 2024. But again it's more about how we have gone about managing the list to get to this point (smith trigger, burgess, signing on Berry, etc.)

And even you suggest we could have done it with one player at least - freeing up the spot to grab another player in this draft.
I've said that we could "maybe" do it with one player - it's extremely unlikely that we'd be able to do it with 2.

Then there's the question of where we get the replacements? As I stated above, we currently have picks 4, 64, and 82. Delist another player and we add pick 100. Delist 2 players and we get pick 118. These are not picks we want to be using on live selections.

We are getting in 3 1st 22 players plus pick 4
4 and Welsh.

I'm not complaining, assuming we nail the pick.
And 2 of them are in the best 18 (Peatling might be end of next year) so we've replaced the 3-4 players we've carried all year in games provided Nicks doesn't pick them again, McHenry and Smith are definitely gone so only Murphy and Jones (on form this year due to Lisfranc injury but he might bounce back) and then there's Laird and ROB who are the most difficult......

And 2 of them are in the best 18 (Peatling might be end of next year) so we've replaced the 3-4 players we've carried all year in games provided Nicks doesn't pick them again, McHenry and Smith are definitely gone so only Murphy and Jones (on form this year due to Lisfranc injury but he might bounce back) and then there's Laird and ROB who are the most difficult......
I have a feeling we wull not let Jones go until Tasmania comes in. We will get more than he is worth then. We would be silly to cut Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back