Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the race for Peatling is down to GWS, Adelaide or a Victorian club (link)

Rumor summary October 2
  • Ricciuto claims we will announce a director of coaching this week (link)
  • GWS have upped their offer for Peatling to four years (link)
  • Twomey claims the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide, GWS and Western Bulldogs (link)
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)
  • Kymbo says the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide or GWS (link)
  • Poster claims Peatling has decided to stay in Sydney (link)
  • Poster claims our offer for Peatling is the best in terms of dollars by far (link)
  • We've landed Murray Davis from the Brisbane Lions as coaching director (link)

Rumor summary October 3

• Free agency lodgements for Cumming to Adelaide and Himmelberg to Gold Coast will go through tomorrow (link)
  • James Peatling has chosen Adelaide (link)

Last edited:
Port can easily say it’s north or us to Houston from here
At which point Houston simply calls their bluff and says "us". It's Port pushing him out, not the other way around. They can't bluff and say "us" is an option, when they're the ones who are desperate for him the draft resources his departure would provide.

George Kramer you went prematurely yet again .....and proven wrong .....just hold off in future until the role is actually outlined, not what you think it is

The role is as I and others anticipated .....to take some workload off Nicks
I tell you what, I’ll do a deal and respond to this in good faith knowing that you’ll respond to these 2 questions I’ve put to you many times now:

Why did Nicks get Smith to his trigger and drop him considering you think Nicks is cooked.

What did you think of Nicks moving Laird to defence and removing Hinge from there?

Knowing you’re not one to slink away and answer the though questions I’ll go first.

So we’ve effectively created another role to baby sit our assistant coaches. Awesome, I believe our new appointment is qualified to do that so I take my question marks over him back and instead ask what changes the club is making to stop Nicks going rogue bonkers again and making stupid selection decisions like the ones you’re avoiding.

I’ll further ask you today you said I should be getting excited about our new off field appointments, care to tell me what I should get excited about?

Good:

• Davis comes to the club in a role that is befitting of his experience
  • Davis has premiership club experience

Bad:

• Made up a role for Davis because we didn't want to demote Burns from senior assistant and hurt his feelings, even though his role description is that of a "senior assistant"
  • Creating a "Coaching Director" position for someone whose role isn't to direct the entire coaching department means we now won't hire someone who will do that
  • Still no person at the club above Nicks with football experience to provide oversight
  • Godden somehow gets promoted and demoted at the same time?
Fair - but if it quacks like a duck. Who cares what we call it.

I'm with the majority here ... we don't know how this is going to end up, but at least I see some change - and some of our "leaders" admit that what we have now is not working.

I do not expect 2025 to be a monster year for us - I expect it to be the last we see of Nicks.

If this changes that for the better, good.

If not, I'm back to where I was at the end of the season anyway!!

3 years on a Contract, why would PORT give Houston away ?
Port are pushing him out the door, in order to get the draft resources he represents. The want to land Luko, and ideally get back into the 1st round of the 2024 ND, and they can't do that if Houston remains on their list.

Port are pushing him out the door, in order to get the draft resources he represents. The want to land Luko, and ideally get back into the 1st round of the 2024 ND, and they can't do that if Houston remains on their list.
So, cutting their nose off to spite their face?

This year's and next years 1st from CARL, achieves those objectives .....otherwise keep Houston, miss the 1st round this year, and use next years F1 for Luko

PORT are still OK in that scenario .....next years Draft, expected to be down on this year .....I don't expect PORT to fold for this years CARL pick only

So Nicks needs Davis over the top of him, and now Goddard to develop the coaching group

Is Nicks going part time or something?

Nah. It seems like the club thinks Nicks is awesome and that it's the stinky assistant coaches that need to perform better.

They've basically hired someone to improve and manage the assistants and have excluded any oversight or management of the head coach from that role.

Basically they love what Nicks is doing and want to make it easier for Nicks to do what Nicks does

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port certainly have more leveridge with Lukosius .....GC want the $1M annual contract off the books, and they will not extend to amortise that commitment

Houston can nominate .....as Oliver can with GEEL .....but if the buyer has no Draft Capital, and are facing long contracts ....both deals don't get one
Both deals get done, because the alternative (i.e. the player staying) is untenable for the club(s) pushing the player(s) out. Both clubs need to get the deals done.

Can't you just imagine Mackie ... "It's not $15.7 million for the whole squad - that's for the guys you can't give farms, houses and businesses to right? I mean, no-one could do that if it was the whole shebang!"
Well Smith is out of contract, nobody can cover his salary except Geelong.

If Geelong were at 100% of the cap this year, they have $750K to play with anyway, then you take away Tuohy and Hawkins and that woud easily cover the remaining 750K.

Nah. It seems like the club thinks Nicks is awesome and that it's the stinky assistant coaches that need to perform better.

They've basically hired someone to improve and manage the assistants and have excluded any oversight or management of the head coach from that role.

Basically they love what Nicks is doing and want to make it easier for Nicks to do what Nicks does
Id like to think theyre continuing to let him flounder by himself, and building the other guys up to have better ideas.

Reality though, is I expect Wright and Hombsch to benefit the most.... the others are too stubborn

Loving your work.

So the posters who were lining up getting excited and defending the club, what do you all think about our major off-field overhaul?

Senior assistant coach without demoting Burns?
Scott Burns is our forward coach ( currently) and we bring in a guy who was the Premiership winning forward coach

And we still keep Burns and make up a title for Davis?

Seems legit

Id like to think theyre continuing to let him flounder by himself, and building the other guys up to have better ideas.

Reality though, is I expect Wright and Hombsch to benefit the most.... the others are too stubborn
I think it's currently in the opposite direction. It's in their own interests to put all the blame elsewhere and hope like hell Nicks can turn it around next year because they're the group who unnecessarily put all their eggs in Nicks basket 12 months before they needed to and proclaimed him capable of winning a premiership off the back of a 30 odd % win record.

Most complex trade ever, says AFL media. So complex it might need a little loophole to be made? Which might benefit the Cats?

Would never happen.
AFL when Geelong suggests anything....
Chuck Norris Ok GIF

Same as GC with Luko and Melb with Oliver. All 3 deals will get done because they were initiated by the selling club.

I think it's currently in the opposite direction. It's in their own interests to put all the blame elsewhere and hope like hell Nicks can turn it around next year because they're the group who unnecessarily put all their eggs in Nicks basket 12 months before they needed to and proclaimed him capable of winning a premiership off the back of a 30 odd % win record.
Thats the most plausible answer yeah

Yep first it was the players, now it’s the assistants and the issue is Nicks hasn’t had enough time to be Nicks ie implement rogue game plan, blame players, stupid match ups, stupid selections, get cooked players to their trigger and then drop them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back