Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I've deleted confirmed information

Rumors from September 30
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumors from October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)

Rumors from October 2-3
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)

Rumors from October 4-5
  • Gettable claiming pick 25 for Neal-Bullen and a future 2nd for Peatling (link)

Rumors from October 6
  • Tom Morris claims we are open to splitting pick 4 (link)

Rumor summary October 8
  • Jon Ralph claims we are not prepared to use a future 2nd on Peatling (link)

Rumor summary October 9
  • Graham Wright will not join Adelaide, instead taking up the Carlton CEO role (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the Peatling trade will involve future 2nd and 3rd round picks, and we have offered him a four year deal at about $600k per season (link)
  • Riley Beveridge claims we asked GWS if they were interested in one of our players in the Peatling trade (link)

Rumor summary October 10

• Collingwood are interested in Justin Reid as their new head of football (link)
  • GWS want our future 2nd and pick 46 for Peatling (link)

Rumor summary October 11

• Poster claims we are attempting to lure Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, maybe in 2025 (link)
  • Tom Morris claims we will do the Peatling deal for pick 46 and a future 2nd provided there are other late pick swaps (link)

Rumor summary October 13

• Tom Morris suggests we have offered a trade involving a swap of future 2nds for Peatling (link)

Last edited:
Its all well and good to say we needed to get more low picks for this draft, but we simply have a bar-belled type list.

Guys we wouldn't want to let go & guys that nobody would want.

It's a fair point. I think we have about eight players that if we delisted them wouldn't find another home this year given how tight list spots are.

Smith
Strachan
Schoenberg
Burgess
Cook
Gallagher
Borlase
T Murray

Then you have Crouch who never seems to get much interest from other clubs, Murphy who I doubt anyone would want and Tex who might find a home for 12 months.

Milera, Laird and Jones would find a new home but they would only be worth late picks.

Wow - gone through. Melbourne gambling here but with picks 5 & 9 in this draft, 2 very good players will be coming in

If I was Melbourne I'd absolutely do that deal every day

It's a fair point. I think we have about eight players that if we delisted them wouldn't find another home this year given how tight list spots are.

Smith
Strachan
Schoenberg
Burgess
Cook
Gallagher
Borlase
T Murray

Then you have Crouch who never seems to get much interest from other clubs, Murphy who I doubt anyone would want and Tex who might find a home for 12 months.

Milera, Laird and Jones would find a new home but they would only be worth late picks.
The sad thing is that three of the players you've mentioned are in our leadership group.

Smith
Strachan
Schoenberg
Burgess
Cook
Gallagher
Borlase
T Murray

Thats right.
The only ones that attract a high price are Thilthorpe, Dawson, Rankine, Rachele, Curtin, Soligo (might be a couple I've missed there) but there's no way we'd want to let any of them go and not to mention that two of them we have recently acquired and none of them want out.

Be bold and see where it takes you.

As noted, I would love it if we could do a deal with Richmond where we give them 4 and our F1 for their 6 and their F1...and I 'could' possibly see something like that if Jagga Smith is there at our pick 4, they have been quite keen on him for a long time now.

A crack at Dyson Sharpe would be unbelievable if we could pull it off WHILST still securing one for the top mids in this draft. And FWIW, If next year rolled around and we did have the pick to get Dyson assuming he does not go backwards between now and then, there is no chance on earth I trade hat pick for NWM or almost anyone else. Dyson would be the ultimate get for us.

Can't have your cake and eat it too, it's as simple as that, 3 good mature age players to add to our experience and a top end draft talent is excellent business.

#edit - And a F/S for what now is looking likely to be at little real cost to see what he's got.

Last edited:

Smith
Strachan
Schoenberg
Burgess
Cook
Gallagher
Borlase
T Murray

Realistically, it's at least another 2 years to shift all those guys (and that's under the assumption that we don't have any players who shift into that category in the meantime). Can't see us having fewer than 5 departures next year. It's what makes me wonder if we're all slightly overthinking the pick swap we executed this morning: maybe the GWS F3 will be a classic Haggis special on an unknown kid who turns into a decent AFL player.

ETA – or maybe not:

Thats right.
The only ones that attract a high price are Thilthorpe, Dawson, Rankine, Rachele, Curtin, Soligo (might be a couple I've missed there) but there's no way we'd want to let any of them go and not to mention that two of them we have recently acquired and none of them want out.
Certainly missed some Fogarty, Michalanney, Worrell for starters.

As noted, I would love it if we could do a deal with Richmond where we give them 4 and our F1 for their 6 and their F1...and I 'could' possibly see something like that if Jagga Smith is there at our pick 4, they have been quite keen on him for a long time now.

A crack at Dyson Sharpe would be unbelievable if we could pull it off WHILST still securing one for the top mids in this draft. And FWIW, If next year rolled around and we did have the pick to get Dyson assuming he does not go backwards between now and then, there is no chance on earth I trade hat pick for NWM or almost anyone else. Dyson would be the ultimate get for us.
No chance (imo) Richmond agree to a deal that's essentially Pick 6 + Pick 1 (2025) for Pick 4 + Pick 4-12 (2025). Too much risk.

Certainly missed some Fogarty, Michalanney, Worrell for starters.
Yep definitely knew id missed a couple but its the same deal, its not guys that are surplus to needs and its guys that are Crows for life type players (especially in the case of Fog/Michaelanney/Thilthorpe etc).

That said I think the club and supporters value Fog higher than outsiders. Some of the comments I've seen around him are laughable.
Worrell probably 12 months off having a high price attached. The league will soon see his worth. If he hadnt gone down last year, there would probably be a lot more buzz around him already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12 months ago a few on here called Justin Reid incompetent for not trading our future first as Welsh was going top 5. Not only has Welsh slid but pick 4 is valuable.

Unless it's for a player or a specific purpose, trading future picks is a mugs game.
To quote Shifty Crow we werent planning on having pick 4

We thought we were making finals

Essendon are getting away like bandits here, they get to trade their first into next year and get all the points for Kako - effectively getting a free first rounder without paying anything.

The points they get are worth 1657, or pick 7.

They are paying pick 50 (future 3rd) for points worth pick 7 and moving their first into next year with a team likely to finish around the same spot or lower.

Smith
Strachan
Schoenberg
Burgess
Cook
Gallagher
Borlase
T Murray

To me the argument is more about players we didn't need to have on our list. Like Sloane this year.

There is no need for us to have Smith on the list. Ridiculous that we pushed him through to an extension and then dropped him.

I would say the following should not be on the list:
Smith
Schoenberg
Burgess

We could have easily removed one or two of these to add in extra talent before the compromised drafts.

Then you also have the following fringe guys:
Chayce
Berry
Pedlar
Cook
Borlase
T Murray
Bond
Butts (I would be trying to encourage a trade)

Some of these are good depth and some have promise, but if we really wanted to cut the fat and try for more talent, we could.

I just think we missed an opportunity in a deep draft to add in extra young talent. Again it seems like we think we have a top 4 list.

Can't have your cake and eat it too, it's as simple as that, 3 good mature age players to add to our experience and a top end draft talent is excellent business.

You are right but it's starting to annoy me when clubs and supporters use a high end draft pick earnt through a poor year as some kind of reward. Having pick 4 is not really good business. I guess still holding itafter the trades and bringing three players is.

Last edited:
Cats and their fans have me shaking my head at their entitlement thinking that pick 17 for Smith is 'overs' and dogs should be over the moon with the offer. I'd love a club to come out and say they'd take him at the draft if he was walked.

Dogs rejecting North's offer of Pick 25 for Caleb Daniel + Pick 48 is absolutely wild.

Tigers are almost guaranteed to be bottom next year. 0% chance they trade away pick one in 2025

Cats and their fans have me shaking my head at their entitlement thinking that pick 17 for Smith is 'overs' and dogs should be over the moon with the offer. I'd love a club to come out and say they'd take him at the draft if he was walked.
If he goes into the draft I'd hope we very quickly negotiate a Smith retirement to free up a list spot.

Hang on, so we've traded a current pick for a lower future pick?

Why?

You can almost always trade a pick for a higher future pick, because it costs to bring a pick forward a year.

So we just throw away some value there?

Is it a lower pick? Pick 46 is pretty deep in the 3rd round, and it's not like Melbourne are expected to be much good next year. I'd expect the pick to be better than 46 next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back