Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I've deleted confirmed information

Rumors from September 30
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumors from October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)

Rumors from October 2-3
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)

Rumors from October 4-5
  • Gettable claiming pick 25 for Neal-Bullen and a future 2nd for Peatling (link)

Rumors from October 6
  • Tom Morris claims we are open to splitting pick 4 (link)

Rumor summary October 8
  • Jon Ralph claims we are not prepared to use a future 2nd on Peatling (link)

Rumor summary October 9
  • Graham Wright will not join Adelaide, instead taking up the Carlton CEO role (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the Peatling trade will involve future 2nd and 3rd round picks, and we have offered him a four year deal at about $600k per season (link)
  • Riley Beveridge claims we asked GWS if they were interested in one of our players in the Peatling trade (link)

Rumor summary October 10

• Collingwood are interested in Justin Reid as their new head of football (link)
  • GWS want our future 2nd and pick 46 for Peatling (link)

Rumor summary October 11

• Poster claims we are attempting to lure Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, maybe in 2025 (link)
  • Tom Morris claims we will do the Peatling deal for pick 46 and a future 2nd provided there are other late pick swaps (link)

Rumor summary October 13

• Tom Morris suggests we have offered a trade involving a swap of future 2nds for Peatling (link)

Last edited:
Then I dont think you are signing 2026 Milera.

I think he has a recovery year in 2025 and then gets a 1 year prove it deal in 2026.
I don't think he'll be judged on his early-season output, but he'd want to start showing something by mid-late season.

My guess is that Milera will be given a 12-month contract, given the number of obvious departures we can already identify on the 2025 "out of contract players" list. A 12-month contract gives him time to recover this year, and show us whether or not he still has "it" in 2026.

Port would really be hoping they don't end up sliding down the ladder in 2025 or that F1 loss will hurt.
I'm not sure about that 13 in this draft may be a better player than pick 7 next year. This year's draft is shaping to be very strong.

Besides GC are just going to trade out Port and Collingwood's F1st for more picks next year anyway due to all the academy picks

He was in the best 22 in the past. He wasn't by the end of 2025 - that's why he was only selected for 2 games after R14.

So you are ignoring the past 3 years of him being best 22 for an 8 game stretch?

Suppose Sholl wasnt best 22 this year. You know considering he was dropped for the last 5 games of 2023 and then went on to play almost all our games in 2024.

No... you're the one suggesting that just because a player was selected in R24, he was in our best 22. The logical extension of this is that any player who played a game in 2024 should be considered as part of our best 22.

Jones played in R22 because several better players were MIA for various reasons - most notably Rankine (concussion) and Rachelle (club stupidity). If those players were available, Jones didn't play, and we're not having this conversation.

I am suggesting our best 22 gave a bunch of games to average footballers - Hamill, Jones, Berry, McHenry all had significant games in 2024 - and all of which are significantly inferior to Peatling.

The broader point is that we finished 15th and haven't made the finals in 7 years. A player that forced his way into a top 4 sides midfield is a massive upgrade on the spuds we played for considerable games in 2024.

I'm not sure about that 13 in this draft may be a better player than pick 7 next year. This year's draft is shaping to be very strong.

Besides GC are just going to trade out Port and Collingwood's F1st for more picks next year anyway due to all the academy picks
Losing their F1 makes it much harder for them to make a play for Sharpe next year and that makes me happy

Should he be best 22 in R1 next year, in your opinion?

Hell no. Not now that we have added ANB, Peatling and Cumming.

If we didn't add those 3 then he probably gets a Guernsey.

And to clarify - my argument isn't that I believe that Jones should be a best 22 player for us. My argument is that Nicks has rated him as a best 22 player of the past 3 years.

Losing their F1 makes it much harder for them to make a play for Sharpe next year and that makes me happy
Also if a SA player wants to come back, losing that F1 takes away a lot of their bargaining power for a trade, due to not having the pick but also the rules around using so many round 1 picks

So you are ignoring the past 3 years of him being best 22 for an 8 game stretch?

Suppose Sholl wasnt best 22 this year. You know considering he was dropped for the last 5 games of 2023 and then went on to play almost all our games in 2024.
If a player spends a prolonged period in the SANFL, it's fair to say that they're not currently viewed as being in the "best 22" at that time. For players on the fringe of the 22, it's quite possible that they can be in the best 22 one year and out the next (or vice versa).

In Jones' case, he was clearly in our best 22 prior to suffering a lisfranc injury in R23 2023. Unfortunately, when he returned in 2024, he wasn't the same player that he was before the injury. They gave him time to come good, before sending him back to the SANFL after R14. Maybe an extra pre-season will give him the time he needs to recover fully from the injury, allowing him to return to his best - winning back his place in our best 22. But as things stand right now, he's not in our best 22 players.
I am suggesting our best 22 gave a bunch of games to average footballers - Hamill, Jones, Berry, McHenry all had significant games in 2024 - and all of which are significantly inferior to Peatling.
Hamill & McHenry have already been delisted. Jones has been discussed extensively already above, and in previous posts between us. That leaves Berry...

Berry was definitely in our best 22 in 2024, so there's no argument there. I also agree that he's one player whose position in the best 22 is at risk going into 2025. However, with ANB, Cumming & Pick 4 also competing for positions in our best 22, there's no guarantees that it's Peatling who takes his place.
The broader point is that we finished 15th and haven't made the finals in 7 years. A player that forced his way into a top 4 sides midfield is a massive upgrade on the spuds we played for considerable games in 2024.
But is he better than ANB, Cumming and Pick 4, who will also be pressing for places in our best 22 going forwards?

FWIW, I think the players most at risk of dropping out of our best 22 are (in no particular order) Berry, Murphy, Dowling, Laird and Nankervis.

And to clarify - my argument isn't that I believe that Jones should be a best 22 player for us. My argument is that Nicks has rated him as a best 22 player of the past 3 years.
Nicks faith in him was going in the right direction last year before his Lisfranc injury, Jones wasn't just best 22 but best 18 before that injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's poor list management.
We finished 15th, yet the club seems to think we have a top 4 squad with very little fat to cut. 3 very good players coming in, plus pick 4 and maybe another 1-2 players with high level potential would have been a great outcome. There was absolutely no need for us to put ourselves in a position where we couldn't add in that extra talent.

Ok, just for some perspective what would you have done?

Jones was a best 22 player until he suffered the Lisfranc injury, in R22 2023. He is no longer in our best 22.

However, he may return to the best 22 if he can recover fully from the injury, and return to playing his best football again.

You can't just pay out players.

I wish folks would stop talking about that. Presumably we didn't go into this season with massive unspent salary cap room - which we'd need if we're bringing a contract forward to pay someone out.
you can if theyre cheap

To me the argument is more about players we didn't need to have on our list. Like Sloane this year.

There is no need for us to have Smith on the list. Ridiculous that we pushed him through to an extension and then dropped him.

I would say the following should not be on the list:
Smith
Schoenberg
Burgess

We could have easily removed one or two of these to add in extra talent before the compromised drafts.

Then you also have the following fringe guys:
Chayce
Berry
Pedlar
Cook
Borlase
T Murray
Bond
Butts (I would be trying to encourage a trade)

Some of these are good depth and some have promise, but if we really wanted to cut the fat and try for more talent, we could.

I just think we missed an opportunity in a deep draft to add in extra young talent. Again it seems like we think we have a top 4 list.

If you cut deep all that happens is you end up with late picks. How many players did you intend on cutting in addition to Gollant, McHenry, Parnell, Hamill plus retirement of Sloane?

You can’t do it in one year and in addition players are contracted.

And just for reference not every player on a list is best 22.

I have him in the 4 man emergencies
I didn't have him in the "best 23" I named before.

The emergencies would probably be: Bond, Taylor, Borlase and Jones.

Pedlar would definitely be in the emergency list, if not the best 23, IF he can get his body and form back to where he was in 2022.

The key to the 2024 trade period - Rory Atkins

... was not on my bingo card

I didn't have him in the "best 23" I named before.

The emergencies would probably be: Bond, Taylor, Borlase and Jones.

Pedlar would definitely be in the emergency list, if not the best 23, IF he can get his body and form back to where he was in 2022.
ive got pedlar in the 23. i believe in him

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back