Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

You can get punished by your workplace without doing anything illegal.

Yes you can but in an actual court it has to be proven that damage was done or foreseeable if action was not taken. In this case, the AFL didnt have any damage to their reputation and in what world are they the moral police telling people whats tasteful and whats not, which is the language they used.

But again, De Goey was literally arrested for sexually assaulting women and then did it again on camera on an in season trip. While Drunk and did not get a suspension. Here is the precedent. Take this to court the AFL does not have a leg to stand on.

The AFL need to be called out on these weird length suspensions and asked to justify. I dont think distasteful cuts it as a reason tbh.

Is this hope or rumour

We probably want a ruckman. I have no info and just guessing, but if we are clearing space on the list id say is we fancy a ruckman late in the draft and dont think they will make it to the rookie draft. Maybe delist Stachan and put him back on the rookie list or even someone like Schoenberg.

Given the 148 pages discussing the goal review I can guarantee many more here were offended by that than Hayne rape case

Secondly unless you know what occurred then how do you know what Hayne did it the gws player?

Who cares if he dressed up as Hayne
I would think anyone who has been sexually assaulted. What a stupid statement. Fair dinkum.

how about burgess and schoey then? they couldn't be on much.
We rarely delist contracted players... so at this stage would be happy we do 1 to give ourselves options at the draft.

Yes you can but in an actual court it has to be proven that damage was done or foreseeable if action was not taken. In this case, the AFL didnt have any damage to their reputation and in what world are they the moral police telling people whats tasteful and whats not, which is the language they used.

But again, De Goey was literally arrested for sexually assaulting women and then did it again on camera on an in season trip. While Drunk and did not get a suspension. Here is the precedent. Take this to court the AFL does not have a leg to stand on.

The AFL need to be called out on these weird length suspensions and asked to justify. I dont think distasteful cuts it as a reason tbh.
AFL aren't bound by precedent, the legal standards of proof, or basically anything except the terms of the employment contract and the associated case law.

Id expect them to have broad disciplinary powers so it would up to a player to bring it up to Fairwork. But I don't like their chances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL aren't bound by precedent, the legal standards of proof, or basically anything except the terms of the employment contract and the associated case law.

Id expect them to have broad disciplinary powers so it would up to a player to bring it up to Fairwork. But I don't like their chances.

Yes they are bound by precedent if it is recent and demonstrates different standards applied to transgressions, one of which was no suspension to a player who committed multiple illegal acts.

Lawyers are involved in suspension appeals for this very reason. So the laws of the game are applied to employment law. These bans have not been appealed and the AFL do not have the right to suspend a player for distasteful. The AFL has the right to protect its image, but it does not have the right to arbitrarily decide its image is hurt just because something might cause offense. They are not the moral police.

Yes they are bound by precedent if it is recent and demonstrates different standards applied to transgressions, one of which was no suspension to a player who committed multiple illegal acts.

Lawyers are involved in suspension appeals for this very reason. So the laws of the game are applied to employment law. These bans have not been appealed and the AFL do not have the right to suspend a player for distasteful. The AFL has the right to protect its image, but it does not have the right to arbitrarily decide its image is hurt just because something might cause offense. They are not the moral police.
I'm sure you can cite the AFL rules or relevant case law that says they're bound by precedent.

Considering that players have previously been suspended for racist and homophobic commentary (and more severely) I don't think they've got much of a leg to stand on.

I'm sure you can cite the AFL rules or relevant case law that says they're bound by precedent.

Considering that players have previously been suspended for racist and homophobic commentary (and more severely) I don't think they've got much of a leg to stand on.

Doesnt matter what the AFL thinks. It can be determined they broke the law by arbitrarily deciding when to be offended.

Hodgy's response to mostyn about his request that everyone not joke about something others might find offence is the best take on it, i note mostyn didn't acknowledge his post because there is no good response 😃

The trouble with this view is that you would never be able to joke about anything bad because someone else might find it offensive. However, the simple fact is that nearly all humor is about something bad, which is because most of the world uses humor as a shield and a crutch to cope through bad times. I watched my brother on his deathbed still joking about his condition in his last hour of life, and I admire that strength to this day.

The simple fact is that joking about something in no way condones that thing, in fact in most cases it’s the opposite. The understanding of context seems to have become a lost art since the advent of texting and emojis, but I honestly believe that humor is one of the great aspects of humanity, and our ability to laugh when things are at their worst is a true strength of the human race.

This was in regards to Jenny trying to censor people but it relates the same to the afl censoring its players. It wasn't a work place, it was a private party if they want to joke about something that others might regard in poor taste that is their right. Just as it is the right of those who regard it in poor taste to judge it as so. If the gws wasn't an afl arm I doubt a strong club would have put up with that suspension and fines and I suspect the players only accepted the fines because they were reduced to a token 5k

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back