Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Most of the smarter clubs have it at a pub of a club sponsor or supporter

There needs to be a bit more care taken , not just behaving like that in a public space without care , actually some of the stuff just not in anyway regardless where … ever

It was at a pub, and although they booked a private room they had venue staff providing food and beverage hospitality services to the players - the venue staff made the initial complaint

Players want lockdown private - strictly no-one other than players

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

A $20k fine for failing to act? Actual player suspensions?

AFL has a long history of setting itself as the moral police, when it suits them.

Should the bar staff at the next Jim Jeffries show get offended when he tells the "I took my mentally handicapped mate to a hooker" joke and cancel him?

Jesus wept.

apples and oranges

Feenix having a mare here
Feenix calling out modern snowflake society.

Everyone here has told an offensive joke or made an offensive comment in a public space. Would you have liked to be arrested and fined for doing so?

Many of you would have been to or watched comedians performing insanely insensitive jokes. Should he/she or God forbid they be dragged off stage?

There are far more genuinely offensive things to complain about than some bloke pretending to get a blowie from a blowie. And fining someone for not stopping it? That's just insane.

That's all from me 😊

So you reckon the AFL would be fine with a player making fun of a situation where a guy was acquitted of rape on appeal?

Pretty sure that means in the eyes of the law it wasn't rape.

The AFL isn't going to look kindly on there being video/photo evidence of this captured by a third party which could leak to anyone and cause a scandal. That's if they don't also believe that making fun of sexual assault in any context is morally wrong.

See above, it wasn't sexual assault.

That was 12 years ago. St Kilda setting fire to a dwarf was 11 years ago. They'd almost certainly cop some sort of sanction today because the AFL wouldn't like the look.

The punishments for the GWS players sounds severe to me but I also don't have an issue with the AFL taking a strong stance against making fun of sexual assault

Neither do I but how could he be making fun of sexual assault when it wasn't sexual assault?

AFL players aren't comedians ... they just think they are.

They are employed by the AFL and are required to meet certain standards as part of that agreement.

No good crying "Woke!!!".
And the afl is only an administrator at the bequest of the afl clubs. When push comes to shove if collingwood or Geelong have an issue such as with Stengle it is a 'mental health issue' and he's back playing the next week. At a weak club the afl plays politics to distract from their own culture and keep that government funding of their stadiums rolling in.

Everyone here has told an offensive joke or made an offensive comment in a public space. Would you have liked to be arrested and fined for doing so?

Many of you would have been to or watched comedians performing insanely insensitive jokes. Should he/she or God forbid they be dragged off stage?

There are far more genuinely offensive things to complain about than some bloke pretending to get a blowie from a blowie. And fining someone for not stopping it? That's just insane.

That's all from me 😊
I hate today’s society

Except no one is being arrested, their receiving sanctions from their employer for behaviour that reflects poorly on their employer.

Without knowing exactly what went down none of us are informed enough to fairly say what punishment (or no punishment) there should be.

However the idea that Giants players can’t receive AFL sanctions for actions done in public (a private function at a public venue is still public), at a club event is just silly.

I reckon if any of us did something similar to what is rumoured at our work Christmas show there’d be some repercussions.

The other point that I’m finding odd is that whoever made the complaint is now receiving backlash. It’s up to any manager/owner to maintain a safe work environment, and if people can’t see how having 40 intoxicated and physically large young men behaving in such a way could rightfully cause a bartender to feel unsafe then I’m not sure what to tell you.

Again, without knowing the full story I’m not gonna say for sure they should be suspended, but given the AFL’s usual practice of sweeping things under the rug, I reckon where there’s smoke, there’s fire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like there’s no interest in Dodson so there probably no more list movements in the offing
We still have some list movements to make, just in order to participate in the ND.

The AFL mandates that clubs make a minimum 3 selections in the ND, with rookie upgrades counting towards the total. We currently have just 2 list vacancies - 1 on the senior list, and 1 on the rookie list.

Just how many list movements we plan on making depends primarily on where they plan on selecting Welsh - ND or RD.

Welsh in ND
We need to delist 2 contracted players from the senior list, upgrade 1 rookie, re-draft the contracted players in the RD.

Welsh in RD
We need to delist 2 contracted players from the senior list, upgrade 2 rookies, re-draft the contracted players in the RD.

It's possible that they won't choose to select him at all (refer to previous discussions about Welsh's draft-worthiness in this thread). In that case, simply replace Welsh with another draftee in the scenarios above.

Pretty sure that means in the eyes of the law it wasn't rape.

See above, it wasn't sexual assault.

Neither do I but how could he be making fun of sexual assault when it wasn't sexual assault?

Do you think that when a player dressed up as Jarryd Hayne and performed a skit with a sex doll for a "troubled couples" themed event that the player was making fun of sexual assault, or making fun of just regular consensual sex?

Whether or not he was found guilty is irrelevant. If the skit implied he committed the crime he was acquitted of, that's making fun of sexual assault.

Do you think that when a player dressed up as Jarryd Hayne and performed a skit with a sex doll for a "troubled couples" themed event that the player was making fun of sexual assault, or making fun of just regular consensual sex?

Whether or not he was found guilty is irrelevant. If the skit implied he committed the crime he was acquitted of, that's making fun of sexual assault.
Funnily enough I’m not interested enough to care

I don't think it's that we're uninterested in the draft. We just have a very young list so clearly targeted a bunch of middle-age players expecting to get maybe 1-2 of them. We probably surprised ourselves getting three, and we're left with very few list spots as a result.

I agree that it's a shame that we have plodders signed to contracts instead of hitting a good draft, but I don't think that was the intention when we signed them.
I think this is fair

But

I also think there was room to cut a few to at least have flexibility

The fact it was 12 years ago and noone cared, whereas they would today, tells you everything you need to know about modern snowflake society. My God.

There are lots of distasteful things you could get away with 12 years ago that you can't now. That's to modern society's credit, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't really see the humour in joking about sexual assault, personally. But then I also didn't see the humour in telling racist jokes, or in making fun of disabled people, or any of the other various things we've collectively realised aren't cool anymore. People whined about those jokes becoming unacceptable in society as well when they happened.

That's all from me 😊

I think most people would expect to be disciplined if they were caught on camera at a work function making any sort of inappropriate jokes, even if that was "in private".

Choosing to watch a comedian perform insensitive jokes is not the same as making those same jokes in a work setting.

I think most people would expect to be disciplined if they were caught on camera at a work function making any sort of inappropriate jokes, even if that was "in private".

Choosing to watch a comedian perform insensitive jokes is not the same as making those same jokes in a work setting.
Decent chance in a work setting you'd be sacked.
I think only the perpetrator should be sanctioned though.

Decent chance in a work setting you'd be sacked.
I think only the perpetrator should be sanctioned though.

I'd personally be cancelled if I did it and that footage was made public.

Whether or not Toby Greene or other players should be sanctioned for "doing nothing to stop it" depends on how much responsibility they hold for the event. Does the captaincy apply in that setting? Not sure.

I'd personally be cancelled if I did it and that footage was made public.

Whether or not Toby Greene or other players should be sanctioned for "doing nothing to stop it" depends on how much responsibility they hold for the event. Does the captaincy apply in that setting? Not sure.
I think it's rough to assume you're liable for others lack of brain cells.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back