Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 16 - Lions v Demons Fri June 28th 7:40pm AEST (Gabba)

Who will win and by how much?

• Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Demons by a goal or less

• Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 51 79.7%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Draw

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

good post. but I disagree on a lot of things. Van Rooyen looked dangerous all night. Petty had 8 marks and played a decent game until it came to converting. Pickett was obviously dangerous.

Who looked dangerous out of the Brisbane forwards? Hipswood and Daniher weren't. Logan Morris and Rayner are spuds. Charlie Cameron was relatively well held.

in the midfield, I thought Rivers and Oliver cracked in all night. And Viney as you say. Our midfield was in top of theirs for most of the game until the last quarter. But if the umpires were neutral the game would've been well and truly over at 3/4 time.

Yes Brisbane missed some shots too but I'd say almost 7 or 8 of their behinds were spoiled or rushed over so it's a bit misleading.

Yes I agree regarding the sub. It needed to be activated sooner. And Goodwin is being criticised for that.
Consistently missing shots at goal is essentially a turnover and team confidence sapper and needs to be treated as such. If we had a midfielder that had 25+ disposals with half of them being turnovers would we be praising them for the amount of ball they got or commenting on the mistakes? I see it no different with Petty. This also doesn't take into account the number of times he got outmarked, fell over or fumbled / double grabbed a ball and cost Melbourne forward momentum.

I'll give you Rivers and Van Rooyen both of whom I've been impressed with every time I've watched them play. They both are young and learning and make a few errors but these will lesson as they get game time and experience. Oliver was actually the player I had in mind when I made the more than 2.5 quarters comment. He doesn't have the fitness to run games out like he used to and it shows. Dunkley got on top of him as the game wore on, especially in the last quarter. Completely agree regarding Brisbane's forwards not looking dangerous and goes to one of my main points which was that it was Melbourne's defence that kept them in front as long as they were.

Agree that Brisbane got the benefit of a few more 50/50s than Melbourne across the night, especially in the first quarter. The Rivers running too far was one of the few that I'd argue shouldn't be considered a 50/50 decision but a paid every time. The only reason that's controversial is the amount of times the umpires are gutless and don't pay it. Agree that a balancing of those 50/50s probably results in a Melbourne win but only because of how close the end result was. There's plenty of "inside bulls" that would love to get umpired the way Oliver does with the amount of throws and incorrect disposals he gets away with. There's only 3 players in the competition that get looked after as well as he does. 1 plays for Sydney and the other 2 would appear in most people's top 5.

Consistently missing shots at goal is essentially a turnover and team confidence sapper and needs to be treated as such. If we had a midfielder that had 25+ disposals with half of them being turnovers would we be praising them for the amount of ball they got or commenting on the mistakes? I see it no different with Petty. This also doesn't take into account the number of times he got outmarked, fell over or fumbled / double grabbed a ball and cost Melbourne forward momentum.

I'll give you Rivers and Van Rooyen both of whom I've been impressed with every time I've watched them play. They both are young and learning and make a few errors but these will lesson as they get game time and experience. Oliver was actually the player I had in mind when I made the more than 2.5 quarters comment. He doesn't have the fitness to run games out like he used to and it shows. Dunkley got on top of him as the game wore on, especially in the last quarter. Completely agree regarding Brisbane's forwards not looking dangerous and goes to one of my main points which was that it was Melbourne's defence that kept them in front as long as they were.

Agree that Brisbane got the benefit of a few more 50/50s than Melbourne across the night, especially in the first quarter. The Rivers running too far was one of the few that I'd argue shouldn't be considered a 50/50 decision but a paid every time. The only reason that's controversial is the amount of times the umpires are gutless and don't pay it. Agree that a balancing of those 50/50s probably results in a Melbourne win but only because of how close the end result was. There's plenty of "inside bulls" that would love to get umpired the way Oliver does with the amount of throws and incorrect disposals he gets away with. There's only 3 players in the competition that get looked after as well as he does. 1 plays for Sydney and the other 2 would appear in most people's top 5.
I think there is at least 5 Oliver throws or drops in last night's game.

danster168 I totally understand your frustration around unpaid marks. It just happened to our VFL team against Coburg and I was absolutely spitting chips.

Boys have pulled together to overcome this injustice though as good teams do.

good post. but I disagree on a lot of things. Van Rooyen looked dangerous all night. Petty had 8 marks and played a decent game until it came to converting. Pickett was obviously dangerous.

Who looked dangerous out of the Brisbane forwards? Hipswood and Daniher weren't. Logan Morris and Rayner are spuds. Charlie Cameron was relatively well held.

in the midfield, I thought Rivers and Oliver cracked in all night. And Viney as you say. Our midfield was in top of theirs for most of the game until the last quarter. But if the umpires were neutral the game would've been well and truly over at 3/4 time.

Yes Brisbane missed some shots too but I'd say almost 7 or 8 of their behinds were spoiled or rushed over so it's a bit misleading.

Yes I agree regarding the sub. It needed to be activated sooner. And Goodwin is being criticised for that.
You say some things I agree with and it’s obvious you rub a lot of people the wrong way. Saying Logan Morris is a spud after the start he has had to his very short career, after an objectively poor game last night is probably why a lot of people take the piss out of you. I do enjoy your content though so don’t let up on the posting.

Any vision of Oliver and his handballs ?? Throws the ball five times a match. Viney ran ten metres then got tackled - dropped the ball and called play on.

Big O missed a set shot from 20/25 m out directly in front. Cameron dropped a sitter 10metres out. Hipwood missed a handball to Lohman who was 10metres out with no one near him.

Three clear cut goals left out there.

Melbourne were good and brave with a young side but they didn't lose due to the umpires. They kicked 2 goals in entire second half.

You say some things I agree with and it’s obvious you rub a lot of people the wrong way. Saying Logan Morris is a spud after the start he has had to his very short career, after an objectively poor game last night is probably why a lot of people take the piss out of you. I do enjoy your content though so don’t let up on the posting.
nah. a bit of hyperbole from me. just responding to people saying he was better than Fritsch.

nah. a bit of hyperbole from me. just responding to people saying he was better than Fritsch.
Fritsch (and Petty) played about as un-clutch a game as someone could possibly play. Hurts in a game decided by less than a goal. Fritsch’s main concern seemed to be hassling Harris Andrew’s all night, karma for him that he missed the shot to tie up the scores at the end

Fritsch (and Petty) played about as un-clutch a game as someone could possibly play. Hurts in a game decided by less than a goal. Fritsch’s main concern seemed to be hassling Harris Andrew’s all night, karma for him that he missed the shot to tie up the scores at the end
see, you're falling into the trap of analysing players based off a game here or a game there. When you kick 6 in a granny and make an AA squad, that's 5 years of validation. when you're a scrub like Rayner, who hasn't achieved anything at afl level, you don't 'turn around 7 years of underwhelming footy with the odd game.

How is it karma? it was clearly his instruction from the coach. And he did a good job. It's not like Fritsch's kick was a soda from 20m out. Plus that wasn't to win the game anyway. Even if he kicked it the ump, would've said he ran too far or found something off the ball to call.

see, you're falling into the trap of analysing players based off a game here or a game there. When you kick 6 in a granny and make an AA squad, that's 5 years of validation. when you're a scrub like Rayner, who hasn't achieved anything at afl level, you don't 'turn around 7 years of underwhelming footy with the odd game.

How is it karma? it was clearly his instruction from the coach. And he did a good job. It's not like Fritsch's kick was a soda from 20m out. Plus that wasn't to win the game anyway. Even if he kicked it the ump, would've said he ran too far or found something off the ball to call.
1.7 between Fritsch and Petty in a 5 point game. Ouch. The only thing worse was watching the fake tough guy act from Bailey on Harris. Cringeworthy

Any vision of Oliver and his handballs ?? Throws the ball five times a match. Viney ran ten metres then got tackled - dropped the ball and called play on.

Big O missed a set shot from 20/25 m out directly in front. Cameron dropped a sitter 10metres out. Hipwood missed a handball to Lohman who was 10metres out with no one near him.

Three clear cut goals left out there.

Melbourne were good and brave with a young side but they didn't lose due to the umpires. They kicked 2 goals in entire second half.
Honestly not having a go but do you keep an alternative score board n free kick count ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
which bit can you possibly argue about? You can choose to tell yourself that the umpiring was neutral but of you watched the game again you'd realise that there were howking decisions made that resulted in most Brisbane goals.
View attachment 2034566
I agree that this one here is HTB. No denying that. But you won't ever show the Clayton throws. You are genuinely a sore loser.

How many times do you see that a player thought they took a mark is given leniency with HTB. Harris Andrews was given no such leniency. Resulted in Melbourne's first goal.

Stop being a clown. Deadset.

I agree that this one here is HTB. No denying that. But you won't ever show the Clayton throws. You are genuinely a sore loser.

How many times do you see that a player thought they took a mark is given leniency with HTB. Harris Andrews was given no such leniency. Resulted in Melbourne's first goal.

Stop being a clown. Deadset.
I need video evidence. I can tell you one thing. for every 1 bad decision for the Lions, there was 4 for the dees. At least I provided video evidence of Lohman throwing it. And the Andrews one, just makes up for the May one not paid.

Back