Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 18 - Pies v Cats Fri July 12th 7:40pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Cats by a goal or less

• Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 27 38.0%
  • Pies by a lot

• Cats by a lot

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • Draw

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Coll-vs-Geelong.png

9th v 5th

AFL 2024 PREMIERSHIP SEASON ROUND 18
COLLINGWOOD V GEELONG
FRI JULY 12TH 7:40PM AEST (M.C.G.)

Live scores on BigFooty during the match.

TIPPING ON BIGFOOTY

CLICK HERE :arrowright: TIP IN BIGFOOTY TIPPING
$1000 total prize money!
$500 first place and a spiffy medal
$300 second place
$200 third place

Weekly Prize:
:arrowright: Best score each round wins a year's Premium Platinum membership!

Tipping proudly sponsored by
The Golden Ticket

Medallion Club tickets at the MCG and Marvel
Corporate Box tickets at the MCG and Marvel
AFL Finals Tickets

Optus Stadium open air box tickets

Adelaide Oval Stadium Club tickets

Heritage Bank Stadium Lounge tickets

GABBA Open Air Corporate Boxes

Teams:
COLLINGWOOD v GEELONG

Friday July 12, 7:40pm at the MCG

MAGPIES

B: B. Maynard, D. Moore - C, I. Quaynor
HB: J. Noble, O. Markov, W. Hoskin-Elliott
C: S. Sidebottom, S. Pendlebury, J. Daicos
HF: B. Hill, N. Kreuger, L. Schultz
F: N. Long, P. Lipinski, J. Elliott
FOLL: D. Cameron, J. De Goey, N. Daicos

I/C: B. Frampton, J. Crisp, R. McInnes, J. Richards, H. Harrison
EMG: F. Macrae, L. Sullivan, A. Johnson

IN: J. Noble, J. Elliott, R. McInnes
OUT: C. Dean (Omitted), J. Howe (Injured), B. Mihocek (Injured)

CATS

B: J. Henry, S. De Koning, J. Kolodjashnij
HB: M. Duncan, T. Stewart, Z. Guthrie
C: Z. Tuohy, M. Holmes, O. Dempsey
HF: T. Stengle, G. Rohan, G. Miers
F: S. Mannagh, S. Neale, J. Cameron
FOLL: M. Blicavs, P. Dangerfield - C, T. Atkins

I/C: J. Bowes, B. Close, L. Humphries, J. Clark, O. Henry
EMG: J. Bews, M. Knevitt, R. Stanley

No changes

:arrowdown: Links to the Club Board tipping comps :arrowdown:

Last edited by a moderator:

Huge game for both teams.

Geelong win this and it’s 3 wins on the trot and season somewhat stabilized.

Conversely Collingwood need to win this match, already out of the 8 they can’t afford to lose touch with the teams above them or it could be goodbye premiership defense.

Lions were ordinary then but have hit some solid form recently. Anyway it's about the Pies V Cats. Yes the Pies are just as ordinary as the Cats, but feel like the loss to the Bombers will spark them.
What is amusing though and proves how fickle "wins against top 8 teams" is as a concept, is that if Geelong win it won't count as a win against a top 8 team. If Geelong lose, it would count as a loss against a top 8 team in people's running tallies (as Collingwood would almost certainly climb back into the 8).

A similar story for Port vs Bulldogs last week and Essendon vs Collingwood last week.

Realistically any win against the top 13 right now is as meritorious as top 8 given how even things are. Minor or major form fluctuations can make a team positioned 3rd play like a 13th placed team or vice versa on any given day.

What is amusing though and proves how fickle "wins against top 8 teams" is as a concept, is that if Geelong win it won't count as a win against a top 8 team. If Geelong lose, it would count as a loss against a top 8 team in people's running tallies (as Collingwood would almost certainly climb back into the 8).

A similar story for Port vs Bulldogs last week and Essendon vs Collingwood last week.

Realistically any win against the top 13 right now is as meritorious as top 8 given how even things are. Minor or major form fluctuations can make a team positioned 3rd play like a 13th placed team or vice versa on any given day.

Absolutely freaking spot on. It doesn't matter what time of the year it is, a win is a win.

It doesn't matter what time of year it happened. All that matters is who is there in those 8 spots come Finals time and to write off any team after beating anyone else in those 13 spots would be a fool.

All 13 sides looking for a spot in that 8 (yes even Sydney) have hit periods of rough patches just as they have all hit periods of dominance. At different times this year you could seriously name about 10 teams as genuine top 4 contenders.

As you said so eloquently that any minor or major form fluctuations and in my opinion from basically Post bye rounds onwards have or could be huge in terms of ladder positioning come Finals time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Season on the line for Collingwood.
I reckon they find their kamikaze pressure and suffocate Geelong to go on and win by 16 points.

Daicos will have his best game of the year.

How many in the other three quarters?
I will probably only watch the 5 goals in the first qrt, then walk to the back of the box and speak with clients.
Hopefully, I can win some contracts, as I unfortunately don't hold high hopes of a win on the field.

Then again, they have surprised me before, though this week really does seem like all or nothing.

Pies injuries and poor performance against the Dons gives me zero extra confidence going into Friday night.
Their backs are now against the wall as is their season, Cats will need to put it on them early and often to keep the crowd out of it.

Can see this being a close one.

Now we have significant injuries.
We have been trying to scrape a side together most of the year.
Not fun is it. This was us last season.

Just as you get some hope up and someone returns the next injury report has two more go out. Cripples your season and prevents quality development at VFL level as well.

Not fun is it. This was us last season.

Just as you get some hope up and someone returns the next injury report has two more go out. Cripples your season and prevents quality development at VFL level as well.

It's scary how similar their run this year was to us last year.
Dominant year finishing on top to winning the Premiership, start the next season underdone and full of injuries with a 0-3 record.

Scrape through enough wins to stay within arms reach of the 8. <<< Pies are here

Oldest list struggling late in the season as the Injury toll become too much to overcome.
Guys who come back are just replacing different best 23 guys going out with injuries.
You shut players down early and close the book on the "back to back" season by Round 20.

Are they?

There are a few guys listed as tests still so things could get worse. But Cox, Mihocek, McCreary, McStay and Mitchell are the only best 22 players listed as out so far aren't they? 5 players and none of them being your absolutely elite players doesn't seem that bad.
Three of those players are KPPs and tall players are precisely what we lack. You would also know that other than Moore we don't have any elite big men. You also have not included Elliott, and ignore players like De Goey who was out injured till two weeks ago and has not hit form. Then there is Murphy whose retirement has left a gaping hole in what is now a rather brittle defence. However I would not claim that injuries are solely responsible for our ordinary performance this year. The team is not playing with the intensity and confidence that won them the flag last year. It's not our year.

Back