Preview Bulldogs vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

We can get away with Cordy & Boyd this week, but already looking ahead to GWS has me a bit worried.

No chance Crameri plays and we will need Cordy to go back to play on Lobb, Patton or Cameron.

Can't say I'm looking forward to that one.

We need to fix this having the VFL start so late compared to the AFL. I get all the stuff about less teams etc but just have them play each other three times if that's what it takes. Do we really care if this makes the VFL draw uneven we live with it in the AFL so why not the VFL.

I think its stupid we cant have our reserve grade comp in synch with the seniors.

It is stupid BUT. The AFL run the AFL and the VFL run the VFL. Considering the little brothers opinion of the big bully brother, (and a history of antagonism), I can't see the pipsqueak bro conceding to AFL requirements

We can get away with Cordy & Boyd this week, but already looking ahead to GWS has me a bit worried.

No chance Crameri plays and we will need Cordy to go back to play on Lobb, Patton or Cameron.

Can't say I'm looking forward to that one.

Their forward line is scary but it'll be won in the midfield. Problem is their midfield looks streets better too atm.

Nothing less than a 10 goal win will do this week. If the boys limp in to next week it could be embarrassing.

I'm not taking anything away from this great victory, but it appeared as though Carlton had their focus set on trying to end Essendon's unbeaten run the following week.

Before we ended Carlton's winning streak, they smashed Collingwood the week before by almost 20 goals. They were in incredible form.

The Western Bulldogs have confirmed forward Stewart Crameri will miss at least two weeks of football after sustaining a hip flexor injury during Friday’s VFL clash with Box Hill.

Speaking with westernbulldogs.com.au on Tuesday, Head Physiotherapist/Medical Services Manager Chris Bell said that Crameri will be reassessed in a weeks’ time.

“Stewart returned to play on the weekend following a hip joint complaint that he had the previous week, [but] unfortunately Stewart strained a hip flexor during the game,” Bell said.

“He won’t be available this week but will be assessed the following week to determine his availability.”

Ruckman Tom Boyd remains in the mix to face Brisbane on Saturday afternoon at Etihad Stadium, but will be assessed later in the week before a final call is made on his availability.

“Tom received a knock to his cheekbone in the first quarter on the weekend,’’ Bell said.

“He developed some concussive symptoms during the quarter time break and we were forced to remove Tom from the game, but he’s come in well this week and he’ll be assessed and monitored over the coming days to dictate his availability this week.”

One man who will be missing on the weekend is fellow big man Travis Cloke, with the Club confirming a rib fracture that will sideline him for an extended period.

“As confirmed on the weekend, Travis received an impact to his chest that has fractured two of his ribs.

“At this stage we anticipate him missing four to six weeks.”

In better news, Bell has confirmed that Dale Morris is making encouraging progress from a leg injury suffered in the Club’s round one win over Collingwood, with the veteran expected to return within a month.

“Dale is progressing really well from his fractured fibular that he sustained in round one.

“He is progressing to running on the Alt-G gravity machine this week and will be gradually progressed to running outside next week.

“He’s on track with our return-to-play timeline of three to four weeks.’’

I'm thinking we'll win this week, but it won't be comfortable at all. Then we'll all huddle together next week and shit ourselves in unison at the prospect of a flogging from a big plastic orange machine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

THE INJURY concerns affecting the Western Bulldogs tall forwards will force coach Luke Beveridge to employ a "quite different" attack against the Brisbane Lions at Etihad Stadium on Saturday.

Key forward Travis Cloke's rib injury will see him join Stewart Crameri (hip), Jack Redpath (ACL) and Jordan Roughead (hamstring) on the sidelines, forcing the premiers to rely on a smaller set-up headlined by Jake Stringer and Toby McLean.

In better news, the club is confident versatile big man Tom Boyd will overcome concussion to face the Lions.

"We haven't really got any other talls available to come in, so our configuration down (forward) will be quite different to the way we've started the first four rounds," Beveridge said.

"Trav has been terrific at different stages, played extremely well against Sydney, so we'll miss him."

While Beveridge was optimistic Boyd would pass a fitness test later in the week, he said Crameri had suffered a fresh hip injury in the VFL on the weekend.

Boyd received delayed concussion from a head knock in the first quarter of the Good Friday clash with North Melbourne, while Crameri played only two quarters before his problematic hip "flared up" again.

"So we think (Tom is) going to be fine, but again he still needs to get through that cogstate test and our medical staff will need to clear him," Beveridge said.

"He's in a similar situation to (Liam Picken) last week, albeit he did come back on the ground Tom, where 'Picko' didn't.

"(Crameri's) got a bit of a hip flexor injury, so he'll be out this week and possibly the next two or three.

"He definitely won't play at any level this week. It's a fresh injury, he's had a little bit of a grumbly hip in recent times."

Beveridge was happy with the way premiership stars Caleb Daniel and Shane Biggs responded to their demotions to the VFL.

While he didn't go into detail about why the duo were axed, Beveridge forecast a swift return for the usually reliable playmakers.

"Yeah, they did (respond well to being dropped)," he said.

"They accepted that they needed to go back and just work on a couple of things and they did really well.

"They'll be considered this week."

Crameri out will hurt a lot. Probably wasn't going to be in the frame for this week but would have been desperately needed in Cloke's absence. Not sure what we do if Boyd doesn't get up this week either but I imagine Cordy will need to move forward either way. Let's hope Dickson is back soon as our forward line is looking bare.

B: M.Boyd Roberts Wood
HB: Murphy Adams JJ

R: Campbell Dahlhaus Bont
C: Macrae Libba Hunter

HF: Jong Cordy Dunkley
F: Stringer T.Boyd Smith

I: Suckling Picken Daniel McLean

Out: Cloke (inj)
In: Daniel

I'd only do the one change this week but there are a few guys who would be on the edge after the performance against North. Suckling in particular with Biggs and Williams in the seconds looking to come in.

OUT: Cloke (ribs), M.Boyd (rested)
IN: Webb, Williams

I think Moyd needs to reset. Not convinced he's dropped off the cliff yet but his form has not been great. Playing VFL is not going to help him either. Take a week off and come back refreshed next week against GWS.

Williams has looked to be the next in line for a game and Webb was close to our best against Box Hill. If not Webb I'd be OK with Biggs or Daniel.

I'm not taking anything away from this great victory, but it appeared as though Carlton had their focus set on trying to end Essendon's unbeaten run the following week.

Before we ended Carlton's winning streak, they smashed Collingwood the week before by almost 20 goals. They were in incredible form.

One of my first games was when we went to Princes Park and beat Carlton. Our Mastermind Rohde was playing the kids but gave Garlick and Croft a comeback game to say goodbye, both were excellent and we won. I was sitting near Garlick's parents that day, good people. We beat them and the best thing was Fevola had a massive primadonna sook because they were playing shit. I think I really fell in love with our club that day.

OUT: Cloke (ribs), M.Boyd (rested)
IN: Webb, Williams

I think Moyd needs to reset. Not convinced he's dropped off the cliff yet but his form has not been great. Playing VFL is not going to help him either. Take a week off and come back refreshed next week against GWS.

Williams has looked to be the next in line for a game and Webb was close to our best against Box Hill. If not Webb I'd be OK with Biggs or Daniel.

Admit Moyd was bad but without Morris and Biggs and Bob drifting forward I reckon we need his experience down there.

Out Cloke
In Daniel (to do a job on Zayne Dorko)

Luckily Suckling played a great second half because he was worst on ground up until then and Webb would be a lock to replace him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Bulldogs vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back