Opinion Can the Hawks make finals in 2024?

Can the Hawks make finals in 2024?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Strangely, we can still finish top 4 at this stage, so finals ain’t out of the question, but we’d need to win at least 3 of our next 4 to do it.

Seems more likely we just miss out.
We're starting to cop some bad luck at a really shitty time tbh. I was hopeful we could make it but our strength was team continuity and that's starting to look at risk.

Tomorrow's game is the big one in reality. We win in Tassie and then have the chance to take on a banged up Collingwood and then Adelaide without Rankine. That then leaves us with 4 games and having to win a minimum of two out of the four. Giants in Canberra are not great in terms of their win/loss record.

We lose tomorrow and then it doesn't become impossible, just incredibly unlikely.

Strangely, we can still finish top 4 at this stage, so finals ain’t out of the question, but we’d need to win at least 3 of our next 4 to do it.

Seems more likely we just miss out.

Probably needing an impossible percentage boost in the last week. Good to burn in the guts for next year
Go into 2025 thinking top 4 is the target

Lose tomorrow, and come 5pm it'll all be about the trade and draft.
I am not sure we are throwing in the towel if we lose tomorrow. It just means making finals is harder. Until making finals is mathematically impossible, we will go hard. Once it becomes impossible. Sic will probably go in for surgery etc...

I am not sure we are throwing in the towel if we lose tomorrow. It just means making finals is harder. Until making finals is mathematically impossible, we will go hard. Once it becomes impossible. Sic will probably go in for surgery etc...
Agree. Lose tomorrow and it dents our chances but still possible. Lose against the pies as well and it’s probably over. Wouldn’t be surprised if we drop off a bit once finals off the table. Need to find the form/intensity that we had prior to the cats game - but it’s a long season for a young group.

Lose tomorrow, and come 5pm it'll all be about the trade and draft.
For us on Bigfooty maybe, but not for the playing group or coaches.

You don’t create resilience and fight by waving the white flag with 4 Rounds to go.

If we beat Collingwood, Adelaide, North and Richmond, in which we'd go in as favourites to all, we'll have 13 wins. We'd be incredibly unlucky to not make finals with that. I'm fact, I believe it would be unprecedented. Though, if it's going to happen, this year is probably the year it will.

If we beat Collingwood, Adelaide, North and Richmond, in which we'd go in as favourites to all, we'll have 13 wins. We'd be incredibly unlucky to not make finals with that. I'm fact, I believe it would be unprecedented. Though, if it's going to happen, this year is probably the year it will.
We'd have to get in with 13 wins. And should win all 4 of those games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The season has 23 games now, and with Dogs and Dees winning today, 13 might no longer be enough.

Bonkers if you miss out with 13 wins.

I think percentage will be a big factor. The way the season is transpiring I can see several teams finishing on 13 wins but one maybe 2 at most getting into the finals.

TBH, if we win this week v Pies, we play finals. If we lose, we don't. Simple as that.
Will be interesting to see what they do with Gunner this week, and probably also what they do with Breust.

Bonkers if you miss out with 13 wins.
If that happened it would be an indication of just how bad the bottom three teams (Richmond, North and West Coast) have been this year.

And I don’t see either of those three teams improving much in 2025 so it will really throw the fairness level of the fixture out of whack for teams that can get those three teams twice in 2025.

I'm glad the competition is this fierce right now, because it means in 2-3 years time when we're at our peak the competition will hopefully be weaker after passing their premiership windows.

If that happened it would be an indication of just how bad the bottom three teams (Richmond, North and West Coast) have been this year.

And I don’t see either of those three teams improving much in 2025 so it will really throw the fairness level of the fixture out of whack for teams that can get those three teams twice in 2025.

I think it also indicates how even the top is though. Teams between 4-12 are throwing up a lot of unpredictable results - even ours today. Not sure it’s just the bottom three.

We have the Eagles too don't we?. I actually think our toughest match will be Adelaide in 2 weeks. They are in pretty good form ATM and will be tough to beat over there. Certainly not thinking about next year all about ruining finals for teams on the way home they are. I actually feel were a a good chance against the Blues. They won't bully our midfield like last year and I reckon our smalls up forward will cause them all sorts of problems judging how the dogs went today.

I think percentage will be a big factor. The way the season is transpiring I can see several teams finishing on 13 wins but one maybe 2 at most getting into the finals.
If we're 11 wins heading into the final 2 rounds and percentgage is keeping us out of the 8 we go full throttle against Tigers and Roos and win by as much as possible. When or if the game is done keep going and pile them on. To be any chance by than we need to get it up to at least 100. If it stays in the 90s we are no chance even with 13 wins.

Opinion Can the Hawks make finals in 2024?

Back