Review Cats bounce the Roos by 40 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought OHenry had a great game. 18 touches, 11 contested, 2.1 is huge from a key forward. some really good pack marks. He’s def got ‘it’.

And mannagh is a beast. 12 disposals, 9 contested for 2 goals. I just don’t understand how he wasn’t getting a game. The play where he punched it forward, followed up and got us into a goal scoring opportunity (Jezz blew it) was pure will. He just wills himself into every opportunity. He’s fast becoming a favourite.

Bewsy exemplified why he is now a VFL player. He is a turn-over merchant and his mistakes are just way too costly.
He’s done. There’s no point going back to the bews well. So many times he just ran past the play, ineffective. And of course the usual out of bounds on the full under no pressure. We have many younger players to play that role, let’s move on.

Tyson Stengle looks a shoe-in for the 2024 AA small forward's spot at this stage; today was just further evidence for his case: 3 top-shelf quality finishes (+ some of his contest work around the ground was 1st rate, too).

Toby Greene will put up a good case of course; match-winner no doubt.

But Stengle has been the man this year, and as I was spruiking a few weeks ago, he may well be the best true small forward this club has ever had in it's 100+ years of existence.
Really dangerous small forwards are a rare thing. Stengle is on track to become one of the greats for sure. In the history of the club, there are names like Cliff Rankin and Specka Moloney. Players whose records sort of speak for themselves.

Thought OHenry had a great game. 18 touches, 11 contested, 2.1 is huge from a key forward. some really good pack marks. He’s def got ‘it’.

And mannagh is a beast. 12 disposals, 9 contested for 2 goals. I just don’t understand how he wasn’t getting a game. The play where he punched it forward, followed up and got us into a goal scoring opportunity (Jezz blew it) was pure will. He just wills himself into every opportunity. He’s fast becoming a favourite.
O.Henry had some good signs but feel he is playing a little selfish. He also leaps so early to try and take the mark so I think he needs to learn how to use his body little better..

OH was great. He struggles to get it right on this board. Anything like self preservation and "he's not putting in", and now your comment, which could well be true. I rate him highly, and to me, he is the most exciting prospect since Dan Menzel. We may just have to enjoy each week we get from him.
Nah he's shown plenty, even if he's had things to work on. Had a really poor patch after returning from injury and being in and out of the sub role (understandable), but yesterday was more like it. And the first 8 weeks he had shown better signs of contesting, scrapping, assisting team mates etc. He'll get there.

Truly amazing that some folks have written off a youngster with serious potential and fairly good output for his age.

Got to expect that result with a team playing 6 players 21 or younger….

Against more mature side …

Oh wait! BOTH teams had six players 21 years or younger.

Our youth is severely underrated.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
You’re telling me we didn’t have a full 30+ list!!
Bring on the kids! Bruhn, Dempsey, Holmes, Neile, Humphries etc.

The forward line is looking very dangerous right now
Such a treat seeing freakish goals from Dempsey and Stengle along with great marks from O.Henry
As much as I dislike the commentary team from yesterday I agree Geelong need a fit Dangerfield to have a chance as we need to at least get close to drawing even in clearances to get it to them

I'm not sure I agree. Just 13 touches, at 60% DE. I reckon any of our three Irishmen today would have got more possies and used it better.
Yeah but bews also defends. And bews doesnt get involved in pointless chip kicking around the backline that boosts stats and de. Bews possessions matter more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

O.Henry had some good signs but feel he is playing a little selfish. He also leaps so early to try and take the mark so I think he needs to learn how to use his body little better..
I think he's just trying really hard to frank credits on his 1 wood which is timing a leap. With the height disadvantage he absolutely needs to take it at it's highest point in a height mismatch with very little room for error.

He can't really body players out to protect space the way strengle or does, or hold players to protect the drop zone like Hawkins. That's why I'm confused to see him often listed as a key forward when I can't remember him beating a one on one against a key defender.

His game today was much better I thought because I saw more of what he was doing early in the season to bring to ground to advantage though. Happy he's finding form a bit more which we'll need because of Rohans concussion

We need Bruhn, no doubt at all.

Midfield depth has been an issue all year long, we always seem to be one strong rotation short.

We get all of Dangerfield, Bruhn, Atkins, Bowes, Holmes and now Tom Stewart in regular rotation and suddenly we're looking in decent shape. Dangerfield and Bruhn have only played 3-4 games together this year; now that they're paired once again Atkins is out; it hasn't quite come together but there is still time in 2024.
All those midfielders can play positions on other parts of the ground except Bruhn. He soaks up midfield time as that is all he can do. I think he needs to learn a 2nd position

Yeah but bews also defends. And bews doesnt get involved in pointless chip kicking around the backline that boosts stats and de. Bews possessions matter more.

I dunno. I suppose I place more value on possessions that go to a teammate, rather than OOF. And as much as we'd like him to get a few more touches, I'm not sure I've heard Mark O'Connor in particular accused of not defending; and I would seriously question the accuracy of such statements.

Last edited:
Gee Jack Henry plays so much better when SDK and Stewart play back.
Simply need SDK to play on the tallest forwards, as shown by Sam Darcy.
Maybe 203cm Neale playing 30% ruck is the way for him to stay in the side when Hawkins returns. I thought O Henry or Rohan might make way but hard to push them out.
(Hawkins will 100% come back once fit. He’s an 11x leading goal scorer, 5x AA, 3x Premier. If we’re to win a final it’ll need him, Danger, Jez & Stew playing their absolute best.)
Haven’t seemed to miss MOC, Mullin or Clark so hopefully Humphries and Mannagh keep their spots. I’m sure the former 3 will be back in the side next year following some retirements.
Bews was ok but I’d go Touhy. Atkins comes in for Clohesy.
Does Guthrie make it back at all having missed so much footy the past 2 years?

cats_09 where was our supposed clear core 3 mids last night? And tell me how we couldn’t have possibly fit Hardie into this rotation?

This board will say anything to justify not giving him a go. Save the mental gymnastics and admit he’s earned his chance, and the side can only benefit by giving him the litmus test at the top level.

IMG_6260.jpeg
IMG_6261.jpeg

IMG_6262.jpeg

IMG_6263.jpeg

cats_09 where was our supposed clear core 3 mids last night? And tell me how we couldn’t have possibly fit Hardie into this rotation?

This board will say anything to justify not giving him a go. Save the mental gymnastics and admit he’s earned his chance, and the side can only benefit by giving him the litmus test at the top level.

View attachment 2061122
View attachment 2061123

View attachment 2061124

View attachment 2061125
Ok so supposing Hardie came in next week, what role do you see him playing at afl level?

View attachment 2061122
View attachment 2061123

View attachment 2061124

View attachment 2061125

I doubt cats_09 has any influence on the match committee, so I'm unsure what this post is trying to achieve.

Ollie needed a good game
He's been pretty poor this year

Mannaghs efforts since coming into the team over the past week raise queries why it took so long to crack the side

Ollie needed a good game
He's been pretty poor this year

Mannaghs efforts since coming into the team over the past week raise queries why it took so long to crack the side
No question Mannagh is a good player but since he's been in Miers has put in his 2 worst performances for the year statistically with one of the 3 still being pretty good.

I think the reality is that by playing Mannagh you get the same thing Miers beings but maybe 50% more because you're playing 2 in the 1 role. So it’s a question of using that position to get another 50% of a type you like or 100% of some other structural option.

Bang on the door as much as you want I don't think it's that clear cut.

Tyson has him covered in all the small forward stats. Only thing Kozzie has on Tyson is tackles and clearances.
Kozzie has been thrown into the middle a bit here or there hasn't he? Makes sense he'd have more tackles and clearances.

For impact on a team Stengle would have to be the most important small forward in the game with Greene's form line trending down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Cats bounce the Roos by 40 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back