Preview Changes and Preview Thread v Hawthorn Saturday 1:15pm at AO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Port Adelaide captain Tom Jonas has been overlooked for AFL selection this week despite being available.
Jonas will play in the SANFL in his return from his second suspension of the season.
Coach Ken Hinkley said on Thursday it was a big call but Jonas knew the decision was good for him to get some form.
Hinkley could not guarantee it would be just a one-week SANFL stint for the Power captain, saying it would come down to how the veteran and the AFL side played.“It’s a significant call, but it’s a call of a team that’s in good form,” said Hinkley, whose side was on an eight-game winning streak.
“We’re in really good form, Tom’s missed a bit of footy now over the last month.

Port Adelaide captain Tom Jonas has been overlooked for AFL selection this week despite being available.
Jonas will play in the SANFL in his return from his second suspension of the season.
Coach Ken Hinkley said on Thursday it was a big call but Jonas knew the decision was good for him to get some form.
Hinkley could not guarantee it would be just a one-week SANFL stint for the Power captain, saying it would come down to how the veteran and the AFL side played.“It’s a significant call, but it’s a call of a team that’s in good form,” said Hinkley, whose side was on an eight-game winning streak.
“We’re in really good form, Tom’s missed a bit of footy now over the last month.

If ever there were an insight into who is actually calling the shots, this is it.

Also, what an absolute own goal letting this bloke run around as captain again only to relegate him to the magoo's halfway through the year. Like nobody saw that coming.....

The amount of common sense selection this year has been staggering.

- Talls injured replaced by talls where possible.

- Giving Lord an extended run based on form and effort, conversely dropping Teakle on the same measures.

- Gave Jonas every opportunity as Captain to prove his worth.

- Lycett back through the Magoo's.

Players seem to get backed in for 1 or 2 games and then form decides. It's amazing 😍😍😍

Honestly, this is probably the best thing that Hinkley has done in his time with us. Probably the most credit deserving item I can remember.

He's made big calls this year of players that have deserved dropping. Lycett, DBJ, Fantasia, all of these have been reflecting what we the fans have been able to see for a while, that they are not saviours of our team and were significant concerns. All have been dropped appropriately, for the first time we're seeing the gold passes disappear and Jonas is really the last domino to fall.

Honestly whatever is happening in the coaches box appears to be working. I don't know if it is Hinkley, but whatever is driving this is doing the right thing regularly.

Just a shame that the change has occurred AFTER those preseason decisions were made. Jonas should not be captain, that was obvious in preseason but the club's new found balls weren't around back then.

Honestly, this is probably the best thing that Hinkley has done in his time with us. Probably the most credit deserving item I can remember.

He's made big calls this year of players that have deserved dropping. Lycett, DBJ, Fantasia, all of these have been reflecting what we the fans have been able to see for a while, that they are not saviours of our team and we're significant concerns. All have been dropped appropriately, for the first time we're seeing the gold passes disappear and Jonas is really the last domino to fall.

Honestly whatever is happening in the coaches box appears to be working. I don't know if it is Hinkley, but whatever is driving this is doing the right thing regularly.

So much so we should probably close BigFooty Ports down?

He's made big calls this year of players that have deserved dropping. Lycett, DBJ, Fantasia, all of these have been reflecting what we the fans have been able to see for a while, that they are not saviours of our team and were significant concerns. All have been dropped appropriately, for the first time we're seeing the gold passes disappear and Jonas is really the last domino to fall.

Just a shame that the change has occurred AFTER those preseason decisions were made. Jonas should not be captain, that was obvious in preseason but the club's new found balls weren't around back then.

Carr running the show

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did not think we’d ever actually go through with sending Jonas to the SANFL despite how much it was needed.

Time will tell but this could be the one thing that convinces me that something is different about this year…
Random question
Your sexy Bergman avatar
How old is that picture? Cant find that jacket anywhere on the port store

Lachie Jones was very good for the first half last week so a strong decision to leave Jonas out of the side.

The wheel is turning and it is becoming the young guys team.
Playing kids like Teakle, Williams, JHF, McEntee, Lord, Mead, as well as blokes with still limited experience aka Bergmann, Evans, Farrell, etc gives the side a new dynamic and a different balance to it.

Add in Rozee and Butters now fit, and giving guys like Jackson a shot as an emergency says to me that the side is being rejuvenated "on the run".

Not all those guys mentioned are starring week-in, week-out. But they're doing enough to add some leg speed and run to what was quite an ageing side. And having a crack.

Reckon it may be energising the more experienced blokes a bit as well 😜👍

It's a good call, a pretty obvious one. Not sure it deserves plaudits. Any half wit like most of us here can see that it is the right decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back