Hurn Barrass Witherden
Foley McGovern Duggan
Naish Yeo West
Rioli Darling Jones
Ryan Kennedy Waterman

Naitanui, Shuey, Redden

O'Neill, Nelson, Hough, Dixon

Sub: Langdon

Jones was poor but he deserves another crack and Langdon worked his way into it but we know what he brings. Could make an argument for either of them to be medisub

Give TK a good week of training to make sure that hammy is right

Tried to fit Hedwards in but none of the backmen disgraced themselves this week

In: Shuey, Yeo
Out: Edwards, Hough/Rotham

Nelson to run with Blakey on the wing.

Kelly to come back via 2nds. Needs to earn a spot. Petro too.

Dixon is already an upgrade on Bailey Williams as backup ruck to me.

Interestingly, Naish currently 17th in AFL for metres gained, his average is exceeding Sheed and Gaff from 2021 as well. I can see alot of improvement still in him too, being only his 4th game.

IN: Shuey, Kelly
OUT: Ledwards (Inj), Kennedy (Rest)

Give the old timer a rest and Snek a chance to get some continuity up front. Let Shuey rest up forward when he isn’t in the guts. Yeo etc can get some touch in the WAFL before coming in.
I think if Yeo isn't 100% ready we need to keep Kelly out for another week and bring him through the WAFL.

We've been too unbalanced without a defensive minded mid, and Yeo brings that (West is the other one, but assuming he's out with Edwards if we bring 2 mids in).

Redden can't do it on his own, Shuey is balanced, but Kelly and Xon are not particularly defensive, plus Naish also (not inside like the others, but it still tips the balance).

Yeo, Shuey, Kelly in

Edwards, JJ, West or Nelson out.

All outs are pretty unlucky tbh.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

In: Yeo, Shuey, Petrucelle

Out: Waterman, Edwards, Hough

Play Yeo half game as forward, Play Shuey half the game in defence. Gives us more speed, run and tackling at either ends. Besides the goal, Waterman was pretty much unsighted. Edwards got injured and Hough can have a run in the WAFL for a break even though played quite well don't wanna over play him at his smaller size this year.

In Shuey Kelly Yeo Petruccelle
Out West L. Edwards Nelson JK

West played pretty well but someone needs to make way for the skipper.

L. Edwards out Injured (groin injuries, need to be super super careful. I rate Edwards very highly, need to make sure we take care of him.

Nelson is a very tough omission... possibly Hough loses his spot instead and Nelson goes back or tags again.

JK out for a rest. 6 day turn around too much.

Makes the team...

Foley Barrass Hurn
Duggan Gov Witherden
Shuey Redden Naish
Petruccelle Darling Jones
Rioli Waterman Ryan
Naitanui Yeo Kelly
Dixon O'Neill Hough Langdon

I thought Kelly was still a couple of weeks away.
My initial change would be Shuey for Edwards (inj). It depends on how Yeo pulls up, he did have a very strong preseason before the injury right at the end.
One thing is for sure, both he and Shuey will attack the contest with vigour and won’t be found wanting there, so I think bringing them both in is no issue. Some of the “other” names may need a bit of WAFL time.

out: Nelson, West
In: Shuey and Kelly

Possibly drop Waterman for Petch.

Hough stays, need to pump games into him.

In: Yeo, Shuey, Petrucelle
Out: Waterman, Edwards, Hough

Play Yeo half game as forward, Play Shuey half the game in defence. Gives us more speed, run and tackling at either ends. Besides the goal, Waterman was pretty much unsighted. Edwards got injured and Hough can have a run in the WAFL for a break even though played quite well don't wanna over play him at his smaller size this year.

Exactly. We need to booster the midfield and our forwards pressure. I would straight swap waterman for yeo as I think he is a better mark and provides more pressure, can’t let swabs run it out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn’t you play Yeo at half back, given his history and Shuey in the forward line?

TBH now no. Yeo is a great mark and defender however if we're looking for kicking skills then it has to be Shuey down there. Yeo has a great penetrative kick and is quite good on the run in regards to hitting a player. However in tight scenarios his kicking is more to an area than to a player or where a player should be running.

If he has full athletic capacity back and is going to provide run and carry then sure but I think Shuey can provide the run and carry as well as the kicking skills from defence and is much less prone to giving away free kicks.

Shuey also has elite vision. Where is Yeo is more a see ball, get ball, win ball player and look from there.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t you play Yeo at half back, given his history and Shuey in the forward line?

Yes but he would replace hough and with buddy out I think we need the smaller backs. They ran the ball out of our forward 50 with ease at Kardinia. I think yeo offers an aerial threat, speed and tackling pressure way more than waterman. Kennedy snd darling slowing a bit. Shuey I don’t think has the speed or marking power to be dangerous up forward. His best work is in the coal face. Yep is more versatile (and only played 70mins of wafl). Tim kelly I’d be happy to play off half forward to ease back.

Who gets omitted from the midfield after a game like that!?

Obviously Yeo and Shuey make us a better team, but these kids are playing for their lives atm

They have no such credits in the bank and are playing out of their skin. Match committee, take note

Gaff.....be automatic selections.
No he bloody well shouldnt be. Gaff has been absolutely terrible this year for the limited gametime he has had - covers the grass, guards space, racks up the kms without touching the ball and refuses to put his body on the line defensively.

Gaff can piss off back to the WAFL for a while and learn what its like to kick a footy for a few weeks.

I hope we have learnt from recent years in rushing too many in on a given week. So I’d only allow 2 returning midfielders back in this week and feeling it will be Shuey and Kelly.

LEdwards if injured is an obvious out. I’d like to see West be played inside alongside Shuey and Kelly with XON/Redden on a wing. I was mixed in my views on West and do not believe he will be more than depth but might be ok a a defensive mid. XON had probably his best game yet.

Sydney don’t have a third tall forward so Harry misses out as does Rotham. We need to save Rotham for grand final sprint defence.

2 six day breaks worry me with Hack and JK. Both appeared struggling -Jack was particularly poor on second and third efforts and was often not following his man when Pies were rebounding.

Overall - MC to reward effort and not be lured too quickly with credit balances

Think there was a bit more to JJs performance than just having a bad game. Obviously copped that knock but additionally sitting at the Freo game last week you could see him limping to the bench in the last quarter grabbing his hammy. Few moments in the last quarter of this Collingwood game as well where he looked like he was running hurt but still absolutely busting his gut to get to the contest.

I reckon he's one of those blokes who leaves absolutely everything on the field and has been playing hurt cause the team needs him to. I'd be telling him to put the brakes on and take a rest this game, but reassuring him that no matter who plays well and who's returning that he has the CREDITS IN THE BANK for a secure spot in round 6. Have really liked his start to the season and reckon he deserves that but needs a breather, we don't want to run our young players too hard into the ground regardless of the availability we've had.

I think they’ll look at Edwards, Jones and Waterman for Gaff, Shuey and Yeo/Kelly if all are fit.

If Shuey needs a full week on the track then give him that because let’s face it, the man has hammy’s like wet crepe paper.

Couldn’t see a thread, or maybe it got pushed to the second page by all the toast threads?

Out: Ledwards (inj), Nelson, Kennedy (rest) or Waterman
In: Shuey, Kelly, Petruccelle

Backs: Barrass, Gov, Hurn, Witherden, Duggan, Foley, Hough
Mids: Shuey, Kelly, Redden, XON, West, Naish
Rucks: NicNat, Dixon
Forwards: Kennedy/Waterman, Darling, Ryan, Rioli, Petruccelle, Jones, Langdon
Sub: Nelson
Emergencies: Rotham, Winder, Waterman/Billiams

Nelson unlucky but I think he makes a good sub. Give Yeo another week, ditto Gaff, ditto SPS.
We got maximum value from limited touches from Kennedy but consecutive six day breaks might be too much for him. If he is right to play then Waterman comes out, I don’t think playing the three of them as deep talls works, even though he kicked that important late goal.

Good thing about a Friday game is the emergencies can all play the WAFL the following day.

All sounds good. If Petch back I want to see him use his speed to chase ball and opposition and tackle.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Out: LEdwards (groin), JJones, Nelson.
In: Shuey, Yeo and Petch.
Jones only had 6 possessions no scores, Edwards is injured and Nelson for Yeo is a no brainer. Frankly it's hard to drop anyone after that performance. It would be pretty unfair to take Xon and West out given that game was probably their best career games but if Gaff, Yeo, Shuey and Kelly are available it's hard to leave them out.

Why Nelson out?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back