Preview Changes & Preview Thread for Round 24, 2024 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Burton is in the team and the closest like for like with Houston. We are not dropping him.

We have gun defenders now who can cover for others mistakes. Very different to the start of the year.

I've been stuffing around with the squiggle ladder predictor if Geelong win by 80 and we lose by 30 points they jump us. We still need to win this, can genuinely see them pumping west coast by 100

Neither Geelong or Sydney away should daunt us. Arguably both present as easier games than GWS home or away. Geelong at home is probably our best outcome.

Neither Geelong or Sydney away should daunt us. Arguably both present as easier games than GWS home or away. Geelong at home is probably our best outcome.

Could be a strange last game. GWS wins and Geelong win and improve their percentage to near ours. We then find ourselves behind by 20+ going into the last. We'd then have to tank so we meet Syndey rather than GWS. Could we???

Marshall will get back in I have no doubt it's just whether it's this week or a final, history just says Ken will pick him.

Whether anyone thinks Marshall is in good enough form to play is beside the point, if we go into a final and Todd has to be benched because the wind was blowing on his head too hard, it's a risk that shouldn't have been taken.

Parking all the discussion about whether Marshall is actually any good, I don't think you can carry a player who gets concussed so regularly from minimal contact at this part of the season. There's too big a risk that he leaves us a man down early in a final and you just can't go there.
You can't play him at the moment.

Whether anyone thinks Marshall is in good enough form to play is beside the point, if we go into a final and Todd has to be benched because the wind was blowing on his head too hard, it's a risk that shouldn't have been taken.
I was basically going to write the same thing.

Last edited:
Parking all the discussion about whether Marshall is actually any good, I don't think you can carry a player who gets concussed so regularly from minimal contact at this part of the season. There's too big a risk that he leaves us a man down early in a final and you just can't go there.
He shouldn’t even be in the conversation imo. Far too much of a risk to take into a finals game.

Freo will be pretty desperate this week and it is on their deck.

This will be a really interesting game.

Look I know you don't flirt with form.

But this is a game I wouldn't be too upset if we drop. Maybe even rest a few.

The reason being we know our finals history. And I just don't see us going on an extended winning streak to clinch the flag, given our draw and wins for the backend of the season.

Would playing Geelong on the wide open spaces of the MCG even be a bad outcome for us? They could also do enough to jump GWS on percentage but still be behind us meaning we get them at home just like 2020 and 2021. Not a terrible outcome either way.
Would be my preference

The medicos will make a decision on Marshall's health. That's a separate matter that we can't really speculate on. Maybe we were just being extra cautious given his history, as we all said the contact was fairly innocuous. Maybe he needs to retire immediately. We can't really know.

But there is absolutely no question that he's a far superior option than Ratugolea or Burton at this point. If he's fit he's in. Even the most ardent Marshall hater can't have watched the last 2 games and see Ratugolea as the better choice, concussion aside. If Marshall isn't fit, I'd play Soldo forward.

We're going to know after the GWS vs Bulldogs game, how desperate it is for us to win this. If the Bulldogs do win by anything more than a couple of goals, we could probably afford a 5-goal loss and still host a home qualifying final. That could even be against Geelong.

I'd rest Jones and cover with Sinn. Jones is important to our chances. He's in better form than most here care to acknowledge and has largely got over his early season fumbles and brain fades. We need him as fit and healthy as possible to cover one of the speedy small forwards that GWS and Geelong have in that first QF.

Burton stays in for Houston.

That way we get to see Sinn and Burton go head-to-head against the Dockers. I think it's a simple case of the best performed gets to play the following week.

One of Georgiades (only if 100% fit) or Marshall comes in to the forward line. My preference would be to play a fit Georgiades alongside Ratugolea and Dixon and let Marshall have another week to recover.

If the trio of Dixon, MG and Ratugolea really performs well against the Dockers, I would be leaving that trio together for the QF. Marshall could even play sub in place of Narkle in that game. He's agile, flexible and mobile enough that we wouldn't lose much with him as sub instead of Narkle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly, how does he go last Saturday night? He possibly should be retired for this year.

So, how big a loss is Houston for our finals chances? Does it completely ruin our finals chances or is it something we can cover? I fear it might be the former.

Burton would probably play the looser Houston role better than a more accountable defensive role. I guess see how he goes against Freo.

So, how big a loss is Houston for our finals chances? Does it completely ruin our finals chances or is it something we can cover? I fear it might be the former.
JHF the quarter back?

Plus goals from our small army will be down because Todd would not bring the ball down on the ground .

The medicos will make a decision on Marshall's health. That's a separate matter that we can't really speculate on. Maybe we were just being extra cautious given his history, as we all said the contact was fairly innocuous. Maybe he needs to retire immediately. We can't really know.

But there is absolutely no question that he's a far superior option than Ratugolea or Burton at this point. If he's fit he's in. Even the most ardent Marshall hater can't have watched the last 2 games and see Ratugolea as the better choice, concussion aside. If Marshall isn't fit, I'd play Soldo forward.
Really , most of the times he was the one who was mishandling crows defenders in a pack while Dixon was having quiet time and on the ruck . We still want him to replace with air thin todd in our forward line ? Super crazy

Really , most of the times he was the one who was mishandling crows defenders in a pack while Dixon was having quiet time and on the ruck . We still want him to replace with air thin todd in our forward line ? Super crazy

7 touches, 2 marks, 0 scores, 1 score involvement. 4 turnovers.

Just 2 of his touches inside 50, 0 touches inside 45.

Coming off of another 0 score game the week before.

And it's "super crazy" to replace this player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back