Preview Changes: QF v GWS

Pick ONE defender and FOUR half forwards/wingmen from the players below

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Ins: Talia, Walker, Greenwood
Outs: Atkins, Keath (Hartigan has the most experience, and deserves a spot in before Keath), Milera/Mackay/Knights

Agree with this... Keath is definite, and it will be 2 of the other 4 with Seeds in the mix to go out too.

Personally I'd drop Mackay and Atkins at this stage on form but thats only if Im using Knight to tag.

Mackay has been much better then Atkins

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's just pure garbage. Mackay has been better when compared to his normal output and Rat has been down on what we'd expect of him. But, at best, they've been about the equal of each other. Suggesting Mackay has been much better is typical Mackay inflation courtesy of his poor recent years where he's been dropped every year and this year twice. He is playing better and has deserved his spot recently, but he hasn't been better than Atkins.

This is a genuinely tough call next week. It could go either way, but my bet is on continuity winning the day and Seed being unlucky to miss after an isolated very good game, as we saw last year with Hendo.

Hartigan also plays like Keath, it's what he was doing when he was top 10 in the b&f last year. He can play on the main key forward, the second, the 3rd and even a medium and did a good job on Robbie Gray who I think Harto caught an injury from. And he came back in perfectly fine nick, I'll be very surprised if it's not him that gets the nod.

In - Tex, Greenwood, Talia
Out - Milera, Keath and Seedsman

We won't drop Rat ahead of Mackay and we won't drop Mackay ahead of Seedsman. We saw this last year with Hendo our best in the final round and Mackay carrying in lesser form than he does now. We're locked in, the only doubt was whether Harto was back into something resembling form and he pretty well was.
I've come around on Harto > Keath

Agreed

which is shit for so many who might want to take their kids to the game. Thanks AFL you muppets.

As soon as they decided to run a Thursday night, some supporter group was going to have this problem. I've posted this a number of times, but why do we only have Thursday night footy when we've got less then the full 9 games for the weekend. Normal season we have heaps of clashes where there's a couple of games you'd want to watch and when we drop the games down they add an extra night further reducing clashes. It should be a feature only when there are 9 games.

That's just pure garbage. Mackay has been better when compared to his normal output and Rat has been down on what we'd expect of him. But, at best, they've been about the equal of each other. Suggesting Mackay has been much better is typical Mackay inflation courtesy of his poor recent years where he's been dropped every year and this year twice. He is playing better and has deserved his spot recently, but he hasn't been better than Atkins.

This is a genuinely tough call next week. It could go either way, but my bet is on continuity winning the day and Seed being unlucky to miss after an isolated very good game, as we saw last year with Hendo.
Think this is the way they're likely to go, but it's a tough one. Both Atkins and Seeds bring similar attributes both good and bad, but Atkins has more nous for goal.

Whoever misses will be unlucky but they'll go with the tried and tested, I wouldnt. But what would I know

Seeds has had an injury interupted season and yes is unlucky but that's life

Rat and Mackay will play

Seeds only hope is if the selectors lose faith with CC and Milera

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

As soon as they decided to run a Thursday night, some supporter group was going to have this problem. I've posted this a number of times, but why do we only have Thursday night footy when we've got less then the full 9 games for the weekend. Normal season we have heaps of clashes where there's a couple of games you'd want to watch and when we drop the games down they add an extra night further reducing clashes. It should be a feature only when there are 9 games.
Give local footy a chance to finish up and have the day time. Plus it gives us something to watch on tv..... but I hate it

In; Tex, Talia, Thor.
That's the easy one, no brainer there.
Out; ???????
This is the big question.
Possible contenders being;
CC
Atkins
The Seed
Milera
Mackay
Knight
Hartigan
Keath
Let's start with Hartigan vs Keath
I thought Hartigan did an excellent job on Kennedy yesterday but his disposal was awful, if he can tidy that up he'll be an asset. Keath has done well considering the amount of games he's played and the jobs he's had but he's not ready for afl finals imo so I'll give Hartigan the nod.
The Seed has been in sparkling form in the 2's and played well yesterday must stay in.
That brings it down to 1 more out between CC, Mackay, Knight, Milera and Atkins.
Mackay has been ok to good for most of the year with some very good moments and had even laid some great tackles as well. At minimum we know at least he has the tank to run all day he stays.
Knight had an awful game but has shown he can stand up in big games so he stays.
Milera doesn't get much of the ball but usually disposes of it well except for yesterday. Plus he just doesn't have the frame atm for afl finals yet imo, so sorry Milera.
CC and Atkins have both been disappointing lately but both have potential to fire up and also I don't think any replacement for either of them would be any better in any case but I think CC's style is more likely to hold up in finals. So for my outs it is;
Out; Keath, Milera, Atkins.

Think this is the way they're likely to go, but it's a tough one. Both Atkins and Seeds bring similar attributes both good and bad, but Atkins has more nous for goal.

Whoever misses will be unlucky but they'll go with the tried and tested, I wouldnt. But what would I know
The Seed is decent around the goals or the long bomb, as he showed yesterday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way!

We floated Laird and Betts through the middle at times. No way we will be doing that next match.

I reckon they just ran all the wingmen at once to finalise the choice between them.

It's weird seeing us not plan only for the next game, huh?

Defence:

Talia back in & will play in the deepest forward, which is likely to be Patton.

Hartigan stays in, to play on the roaming tall, which will be Cameron.

Keath goes out. Thanks for the good work so far, and can't wait to see what he can offer next year after he's had a pre season.

Midfield:

Atkins stays in. He's at his best in kicking-oriented games such as vs Geelong where his vision can open up opportunities. He's also our only winger who is left-footed.

Seedsman >>> Mackay and must be retained. He was really good vs WCE.

Greenwood in for Mackay.

Forward:

GWS don't have great system with their ball movement, they rely on brilliance, and from their defence that comes from Zac Williams. Deledio has been important in the last few weeks. I would consider Riley Knight for a soft tag on Williams.

Cameron is low in form and confidence, but he is still attacking the game with full effort. He is our best option to make sure the GWS clearing kicks get half a second less, which means our forward press can control the game.

Milera goes when it's his turn to go, but he needs to expand his definition of when it's his turn to go. Not finals ready at this stage.

Walker comes back in for Milera.

Atkins has been awful, i cant remember him having a decent game at least the last 5 weeks. Mackay hasnt been great but does a defensive job as well

I think Hartigan on Patton is a better bet than Keath?
Agree Hartigan was fumbly and needed the run. His work without the ball will get him in over his work with the ball.
I'd go Talia on Patton, and Keath on Cameron.

Hartigan cost us several goals last night. There where he failed to spoil properly, allowing the ball over the back of the pack for a West Coast goal - the "Hartigan Special". There was another where he fell over at the vital moment, allowing a West Coast player to waltz into an open goal. From memory there were 2 or 3 others as well. I won't count the dodgy free to Kennedy for chopping the arms, which was a fair spoil.

He did a good job of keeping Kennedy quiet - one of the "good" parts of our game yesterday. He cost us too many goals though, to other players.

Im not pro Mackay, base ur opinion on performance. Do u believe Atkins is travelling well?

I was commenting only on your memory of Atkins. As far as I recall, he was near BOG in one game in the last month, but I agree he has been pretty bad in the last two.

Mackay more likely to stand up in the heat of Finals football than Atkins IMO, and I take little solace in saying that.

Milera the same, 3 Contested Possies 13 Uncontested Possies with a woeful Disposal Efficiency of 56.2%.
16 Possessions and only 9 effective when the bulk of his possessions were uncontested.
Agree with that. Atkins is really good when he has time & space. He's not good at all when the game is congested, and the opposition don't allow him to get free. That's why he played well against Essendon, but struggled against the likes of Sydney, Geelong and West Coast. People still think of the final he played against the dogs - who also play (played) a very open uncontested style of footy. I'm not sure that he's well suited to playing finals against hardened contested teams.

The same probably goes for Milera, but he's a bit younger and less experienced. That buys him a bit more forgiveness - for now at least.

I was commenting only on your memory of Atkins. As far as I recall, he was near BOG in one game in the last month, but I agree he has been pretty bad in the last two.
Oh sorry, i missed power and bombers games aa i was on holiday. We need him firing desperately for the finals but he is a liability at the moment. He need to get back to basics, think its to late to drop him now

Im not pro Mackay, base ur opinion on performance. Do u believe Atkins is travelling well?

Mackay and Atkins play in a position where they are subject to a lot of critiscm, mackay does some serious gut running we have no one that can do tthat, neither will be dropped

It seems pretty clear two outs will be milera and keath, with the big decision being CC or Seeds, the coaching staff love CC but he is playing like a donkey, the only other player in the gun is knight but very unlikely to be dropped

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: QF v GWS

Back