Preview Changes: QF v GWS

Pick ONE defender and FOUR half forwards/wingmen from the players below

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Atkins has been awful, i cant remember him having a decent game at least the last 5 weeks. Mackay hasnt been great but does a defensive job as well
Atkins was really good in the Essendon game, which was open & fast flowing. He's been poor in all of the tightly contested games we've had.

I'd go Talia on Patton, and Keath on Cameron.

Hartigan cost us several goals last night. There where he failed to spoil properly, allowing the ball over the back of the pack for a West Coast goal - the "Hartigan Special". There was another where he fell over at the vital moment, allowing a West Coast player to waltz into an open goal. From memory there were 2 or 3 others as well. I won't count the dodgy free to Kennedy for chopping the arms, which was a fair spoil.

He did a good job of keeping Kennedy quiet - one of the "good" parts of our game yesterday. He cost us too many goals though, to other players.
Talia always gets Cameron and does the job.

Were playing GWS you do realise what happened last time

1 GWS Totally blanketed Jonathon Patton out of the game. 6

As for Hartos game we lost to west coast he stood the best forward in the entire league and at worst when you lose you would expect him to kick a minimum of 5 he kept him to one

I suppose at least SEN can recognise what sort of game he played

23 WCE Fantastic effort in some crucial contests against Kennedy. Kept him to one goal. 8

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm certainly not going to melt if Hartigan plays ahead of Keath. Hartigan has played some absolutely great football in the past, but he was in a pretty terrible vein of form prior to his injuries, and I still think he had a couple of shocking moments yesterday that gifted players other than his direct opponent goals. I hope he's better for the run and improves again in the finals.

And if we're rating games purely on goals conceded, then Keath kept Petrie to 10 touches, 2 marks and a single goal to a free kick which was potentially dubious... not sure they even showed a replay, although maybe I missed it. Unless he played on Darling, whose only goal was kicked when Hartigan had him... anyhow, I'm probably just arguing for the sake of arguing. I'm really not too phased with who they go for in the end. Go Crows.

Seem to remember Hartigan stepping up and playing well in the last couple of finals series. Hard to look back on stats for a defender to confirm - anyone recall the same?
When Lever and Talia went down in the Sydney final Hartigan went to Buddy and did ok. Competed which is all I ask

Pyke has dropped Mackay twice this year and its been his best year in many. Not sure that's accurate.
It's more accurate to say that Mackay has responded well to being dropped. His form prior to those droppings was awful. His form since returning has, mostly, been very good. The second half of the season was arguably the best he's ever played over a prolonged period of time. The first half of the season was awful.

Keath will get there though. He is about 20 games off being a permanent 22.

MCrouch 2017 Brownlow Winner

If someone offered Harto big coin to leave and we were getting overs because of his contract status, then I'd be very comfortable with Keath taking his spot after another preseason on the track and in the gym. He's done well given his lack of AFL conditioning and strength, really has showed plenty, but Harto in a canter with 3-4 games of 2017 left to go as far as I'm concerned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Atkins can be a match winner on his day when he is at his elusive best. Will the selectors take the gamble and back him in?
He can be.. but only when the opposition plays a game style which suits him. GWS, Geelong, West Coast & Sydney don't play that game style. Essendon do. Port & Richmond are maybes.

I am a big fan of Alex Keath but the safer option is to play Hartigan. I said this before yesterday's match and I saw nothing to change my mind.

The outside mids/wings are a tougher choice. We have played Bran Nue Mackae and The RAT on the wings for almost all of the second half of the year. This is a role that must be played in a specific way with an emphasis on protecting our back six and then assisting in the transition from the D50 to F50. Milera was given a chance earlier in the season but most of his recent match time has been as a high half forward. The SEED played this role last year and was second in the pecking order before injury struck. The other option is to rotate three wingmen (we did this in the first half of 2016). It was difficult to tell from the television, where were Atkins, Mackay and Seedsman playing yesterday. I do know that whoever was on Gaff was not very good.

The small forward role is also a tough decision. It wasn't Charlie's lack of disposals that concerned me. He seems to be picking and choosing when to "go". I recall one example when the Eagles were running the ball through the corridor and you could see Charlie virtually standing still out near the boundary. Perhaps you needed to be at the game to know what was happening (were any posters at Subi?) but it didn't look good. Wayne looked good early but doesn't provide enough defensive pressure. The best like for like replacement is Menzel but that would be a huge call by our selectors.

Out: Milera, Mackay, Keath
In: Walker, Greenwood, Talia

B: Brown - Hartigan - Lever
HB: Laird - Talia - Smith
C: Seedsman - Sloane - Atkins
HF: Lynch - Walker - Cameron
F: Betts - Jenkins - McGovern
R: Jacobs - Crouch - Crouch
I: Knight - Greenwood - Kelly - Douglas

Hartigan did a great job blanketing Kennedy, but Keath was more attacking and had some great intercepts.. tough pick.
Seedsman gets the chocolates over Mackay, loved his line break work in the middle. He perfectly compliments Smith.
Mackay was serviceable. We need Cameron's defensive work. Milera unlucky, needs more impact on the game for longer.

Team based on last 6 weeks form:
Brown Keath Lever
Laird Talia Smith
Cameron Sloane Atkins/Seedsman
Lynch Walker Knight
Betts Jenkins McGovern

Jacobs MCrouch BCrouch

Greenwood Douglas Mackay Kelly

Emergency: Hartigan Cheney Seedsman/Atkins

Did milera and Seeds do enough interesting ratings

ADELAIDE – 10.11 (71)

Rory ATKINS – 5

Had some handy moments with his 21 disposals.

Eddie BETTS – 5

Kicked two goals. Missed two others. Worked hard.

Luke BROWN – 5

Solid effort against LeCras despite not winning much of the ball.

Charlie CAMERON – 3

Quiet. Kicked one goal but got run down by Jetta late.

Brad CROUCH – 8

Won a massive 43 possessions and 10 clearances. Vital game.

Matt CROUCH – 8

Like his brother, dominated the midfield. Had 45 possessions and kicked one goal.

Richard DOUGLAS – 6

Had 16 touches in the first half and finished with 22

Kyle HARTIGAN – 8

Fantastic effort in some crucial contests against Kennedy. Kept him to one goal.

Sam JACOBS – 8

Dominated the ruck and his hit outs to advantage were telling.

Josh JENKINS – 4

Didn’t do enough inside 50 in Walker’s absence. Kicked one goal.

Alex KEATH – 3

Not a great day defensively.

Jake KELLY – 4

Couldn’t control the Eagles key forwards.

Riley KNIGHT – 4

Quiet. Only 11 touches.

Rory LAIRD – 7

One of the key ball winners and a consistent performer all day.

Jake LEVER – 7

A typical Lever game. Took some nice marks and read the ball well.

Tom LYNCH – 4

No goals and only four marks. Needed to do more.

David MACKAY – 5

Faded after half-time. Had 17 possessions.

Mitch MCGOVERN – 5

Kicked two goals but only had six disposals.

Wayne MILERA – 6

Had almost 350m gained from his 16 possessions. Gave the team run

Paul SEEDSMAN – 7

A big game with 25 posssessions and 1.2. But it was his 603m gained that proved telling.

Rory SLOANE – 8

A beast in congestion. He had 14 clearances among 38 possessions.

Brodie SMITH – 7

Plenty run and 531m gained as he collected 23 touches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: QF v GWS

Back