Preview Changes: Round 12 v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

It's so frustrating to see that when Gov went down, we went with someone as tall and immobile as Otten.

Beech IS and SHOULD have been the replacement for Otten. Provides us with a stronger marking target up forward, but is also more mobile, can push into the midfield and will apply a shit ton more defensive pressure.
They were just desperate to keep him in because it was a great story at the time (was very topical with the commentators etc). When Lever came back, forcing Otten out of defense, it might have appeared heartless to omit Otten.

So we shifted him into McGovern's role instead, a role for which he is eminently unsuitable given his mobility and speed issues.

Then we had to move Charlie forward to compensate.

And here we are.

All from being too nice for our own good

They were just desperate to keep him in because it was a great story at the time (was very topical with the commentators etc). When Lever came back, forcing Otten out of defense, it might have appeared heartless to omit Otten.

So we shifted him into McGovern's role instead, a role for which he is eminently unsuitable given his mobility and speed issues.

And here we are.

2 weeks ago he was our best forward

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah but we are missing his closing speed in the guts, we aren't pressuring opposition midfielders when they have the ball like we were in the first six weeks. Given you make such a big deal about playing football at a semi pro level, you would recognise that it is much harder to pin point passes as a mid to a forward when you are under pressure. We currently have Cameron and Hampton out of the rotations and it is showing.

Funnily enough, somebody on here thinks the answer to us not providing pressure on the opposition mids because we have become slow as a midfield, is to bring Thommo back.

Madness I tells ya, madness

It's a team game. The move has been disastrous for the team.

Structure is shot. Loss of forward pressure. Loss of field position. Loss of midfield pressure (mids shifted forward to help with pressure).

Snowballing dumbass move

Yeah but we are missing his closing speed in the guts, we aren't pressuring opposition midfielders when they have the ball like we were in the first six weeks. Given you make such a big deal about playing football at a semi pro level, you would recognise that it is much harder to pin point passes as a mid to a forward when you are under pressure. We currently have Cameron and Hampton out of the rotations and it is showing.

Funnily enough, somebody on here thinks the answer to us not providing pressure on the opposition mids because we have become slow as a midfield, is to bring Thommo back.

Madness I tells ya, madness

Not sure we are missing Hampton and his 10 posessions he was actually lucky not to have been dropped Greenwood has achieved more in the two weeks he has played

Does he replace any of Sloane, Crouches, Douglas? Probably wouldn't have gotten in ahead of Hampton either.

Gee I would have put him in front of Hampton I suppose he would have been given an opportunity in the Pre season comp and if he performed he would have been given an opportunity

So it would have been up to him no different than any other club

Gee I would have put him in front of Hampton I suppose he would have been given an opportunity in the Pre season comp and if he performed he would have been given an opportunity

So it would have been up to him no different than any other club

We'd of still played Hampton based on preseason form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I certainly agree playing Charlie predominantly as a forward has had a huge impact on our poor form as late. He was doing wonders in the midfield.
Hopefully if we bring Knight back it can free up Cameron again. Seemed he was playing a lot more midfield when we had Knight and/or Menzel in the side.

Not sure we are missing Hampton and his 10 posessions he was actually lucky not to have been dropped Greenwood has achieved more in the two weeks he has played

No, we are missing the pressure he and Cameron were inflicting on opposition midfielders given their pace. In the first month of footy they were averaging 25% of our tackles for games...25% and that isn't counting times they caused mids to panic under implied pressure. Our game is built on counter attacking, which relies on us winning the ball back from the opposition.

Now, if we have two outside mids winning the ball back from tackles, stopping play from tackles and causing turnovers from implied pressure, it helps our game plan. We were unbeatable when this was happening and now we moved Charlie out to compensate the lack of pressure from the forwards and don't have Hampton closing with speed and we have the result we saw last week with opposition players waltzing through the midfield without a player getting close.

And you want to bring Thommo in to solve this?

I have to ask, are you Campo?

No, we are missing the pressure he and Cameron were inflicting on opposition midfielders given their pace. In the first month of footy they were averaging 25% of our tackles for games...25% and that isn't counting times they caused mids to panic under implied pressure. Our game is built on counter attacking, which relies on us winning the ball back from the opposition.

Now, if we have two outside mids winning the ball back from tackles, stopping play from tackles and causing turnovers from implied pressure, it helps our game plan. We were unbeatable when this was happening and now we moved Charlie out to compensate the lack of pressure from the forwards and don't have Hampton closing with speed and we have the result we saw last week with opposition players waltzing through the midfield without a player getting close.

And you want to bring Thommo in to solve this?

I have to ask, are you Campo?

I think I worked out why GWS didn't want Hampton after seeing him this year

Doedee for Brown. Time to give the kid a taste.
Cheney for Hartigan. Membrey (188cm) is their third tall forward so Cheney, Doedee, Kelly or Smith should have the size to go with him.
Knight for Mackay. Upgrade to a better player.
Beech for Otten. Reward form, though I wouldn't be unhappy to see ROB in.

Doedee for Brown. Time to give the kid a taste.
Cheney for Hartigan. Membrey (188cm) is their third tall forward so Cheney, Doedee, Kelly or Smith should have the size to go with him.
Knight for Mackay. Upgrade to a better player.
Beech for Otten. Reward form, though I wouldn't be unhappy to see ROB in.

You forgot to bring in Galluci and Wigg

And here we are.

Time to rebalance our side, which means a tall must make way... otherwise our structure suffers with a lack of pressure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: Round 12 v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back