Preview Changes: Round 12 v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do I feel there will be only 1 or 2 changes ?
Because I dont think Don has ever made any more unless forced.

Brown is already out and based on selections this year it looks like they've been keen to bring Knight back as soon as they can. The question will be does Pyke think he needs to rebalance the forward line by doing something like Beech or Otten, or bringing in a separate defender for Brown instead of moving Mackay back.

I'd bet on just Brown for Knight at this stage.

Brown is already out and based on selections this year it looks like they've been keen to bring Knight back as soon as they can. The question will be does Pyke think he needs to rebalance the forward line by doing something like Beech or Otten, or bringing in a separate defender for Brown instead of moving Mackay back.

Time for Don to consume the salted cashews.

He pretty much have an indication in his pressers what he planned on doing, you would have no reason to not believe him

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Out: Brown, Mackay, Otten,
In: Cheney/Doedee, Knight, Beech

Lucky: Atkins, Hartigan, Jacobs
Unlucky: O'brien, Gallucci/Poholke, Keath

The problem we have is that they've gone on record as saying nothing is broken. This means that they'll only make the absolute minimum changes to support that view. It's going to be the worst result possible, because this coaching group is battening down the hatches and going full throttle without any change of direction. The change will be;

Out - Brown (inj)
In - Thommo

Thommo to provide an inside traffic cone along with 22 touches from 85% midfield time with no spread whatsoever. One of the existing insiders to pushed to an unsuitable outside roll, reducing their effectiveness with Mackay and Dougie sharing Brown's lock down role. It's amazing how at our club the best candidate for any off-field role tends to already be employed in a different role and the selector's best 22 is exactly the same. Basically a closed shop.

They were just desperate to keep him in because it was a great story at the time (was very topical with the commentators etc). When Lever came back, forcing Otten out of defense, it might have appeared heartless to omit Otten.

So we shifted him into McGovern's role instead, a role for which he is eminently unsuitable given his mobility and speed issues.

Then we had to move Charlie forward to compensate.

And here we are.

All from being too nice for our own good
For what it's worth I think Otten has done a terrific job in plugging the holes we've had due to injury. He's exceeded my expectations of him TBO. That won't stop me from saying that with the imminent return of the Gov that he should have a rest in the 2's. It's probably a bit harsh on him because he hasn't done a lot wrong but the forward balance is way off ATM.

This week id love for the axe to swing..
Mackay
Douglas
Brown (inj)
Hartigan

IN:
Cheney (still haven't read anything about him pulling a string)
Wigg
Knight
Dont really care who is ahead of who in the pecking order. Care about turning up when we need to. Ports numbers are good but gws are the standout currently imo.

anyone who plays the bottom 5 sides are going to have good numbers. I hope teams start putting homework into Port now like they did with us.. they need to be silenced. nothing worse that port fans being up and about. argh!

I wonder whose final call it was to pick Gallucci over a type of player we actually needed (Powell-pepper).....

I watched a bit of the game mainly looking at Geelong's goals.

How does Hartigan go under the radar here not to be dropped?

He directly cost us three goals with poor attempts at spoiling and running under the ball. He was terrible.

I still rate him as a player but he is trying to be too fancy. Needs to be dropped and told to work on the fundamentals of spoiling and defensive positioning..

I wonder if Dear playing down back at SANFL level is preparation for Hartigan being dropped if he does not lift soon.

Hartigan's poor efforts and the free kick Selwood got are four goals that should have never happened. As bad as we played, in a close game it could be suggested that was the difference.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched a bit of the game mainly looking at Geelong's goals.

How does Hartigan go under the radar here not to be dropped?

He directly cost us three goals with poor attempts at spoiling and running under the ball. He was terrible.

I still rate him as a player but he is trying to be too fancy. Needs to be dropped and told to work on the fundamentals of spoiling and defensive positioning..

I wonder if Dear playing down back at SANFL level is preparation for Hartigan being dropped if he does not lift soon.

Hartigan's poor efforts and the free kick Selwood got are four goals that should have never happened. As bad as we played, in a close game it could be suggested that was the difference.

Surely Otten gets 1st crack if Harto gets a week in the 2's. Otten is only 1cm shorter

Could have Talia take Bruce, Otten take McCartin and Lever take Membrey

I wonder whose final call it was to pick Gallucci over a type of player we actually needed (Powell-pepper).....
DP. Hard to make long term judgements but your right PP would have definetly filled a deficiency in our team immediately. This is based on the proviso that we would have played him which is not guaranteed for a drafted player at our club.

The problem we have is that they've gone on record as saying nothing is broken. This means that they'll only make the absolute minimum changes to support that view. It's going to be the worst result possible, because this coaching group is battening down the hatches and going full throttle without any change of direction. The change will be;

Out - Brown (inj)
In - Thommo

Thommo to provide an inside traffic cone along with 22 touches from 85% midfield time with no spread whatsoever. One of the existing insiders to pushed to an unsuitable outside roll, reducing their effectiveness with Mackay and Dougie sharing Brown's lock down role. It's amazing how at our club the best candidate for any off-field role tends to already be employed in a different role and the selector's best 22 is exactly the same. Basically a closed shop.
If they pick thommo there could be a coup at this club tonight. I agree based on previous evidence i feel and fear this could happen. As said before if thommo is picked that is equivalent to the club saying we have no answers and that the key decision makers dont deserve to be there post 2017. The club seems more concerned about season proper numbers than developing a team that will deliver post-season numbers. Would rather less wins in the season proper if it meant developing a team that will stand-up post season.

Last edited:
Surely Otten gets 1st crack if Harto gets a week in the 2's. Otten is only 1cm shorter

Could have Talia take Bruce, Otten take McCartin and Lever take Membrey
Does Otten play strong? I see him more as a smart loose defender ie Lever.

Hartigan is a strong body and is usually pretty good one on one.

But his form has dropped off a bit.

From what I have seen of Dear he is quite strong and handles one 8n one contests well.

Out - Brown (inj)
In - Thommo

I like the way you suggest a hypothetical change and then criticise the club for implementing it.
I predict the club will try and trade Tippett back. What a bunch of losers they are.

Does Otten play strong? I see him more as a smart loose defender ie Lever.

Hartigan is a strong body and is usually pretty good one on one.

But his form has dropped off a bit.

From what I have seen of Dear he is quite strong and handles one 8n one contests well.

Otten definetly plays a contested game, I would be a fair bit worried if Dear can step up to the standard we know Otten can play the standard required

Every prepared for the melt at 4:25?
You have to give it up for Mackay he's a resilient bastard, LVL 99 cockroach.
Lived through the Permian extinction and will survive the next mass extinction contract intact

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I like the way you suggest a hypothetical change and then criticise the club for implementing it.
I predict the club will try and trade Tippett back. What a bunch of losers they are.
welcome to bigfooty

If they pick thommo there could be a coup at this club tonight. I agree based on previous evidence i feel and fear this could happen. As said before if thommo is picked that is equivalent to the club saying we have no answers and that the key decision makers dont deserve to be there post 2017. The club seems more concerned about season proper numbers than developing a team that will deliver post-season numbers. Would rather less wins in the season proper if it meant developing a team that will stand-up in post season.

Then you are accepting of medicrity, people blame last year on falling out of the top 4, its imperative that we finsih as high up the ladder as possible if they drop players come finals like Sheeds did with Kicket then fine, but you play the best team if you have a premiership window to make top 4 or top 2, drop a couple of games and you could finish 5th to 8th denting your premiership chances greatly

And before you mention the bulldogs how many teams since 1990 have won it from outside the top 4, then calculate the percentages of it happening I prefer the other odds

Is this the first week selectors may be forced to chose between a match fit Knight and Mackay?
If they replace Brown directly with Doedee or Cheney or whomever I think it will be. However, it it's just the one forced change, Knight in for Brown, and a restructure follows. In this scenario we don't get to learn the Knight/Mackay pecking order.
We know Mackay is fringe. Knight has been on the fringe, but only because of injury. Twice he has been brought in underdone off the emergency list. IMO he is best 22 when fit, and by that logic Mackay should be first out if Knight comes in.
Based on the AFC MO, I'm calling forced change only, Knight for Brown.

I'm a little concerned by Pyke's comments following the Geelong game.

In the past he had said our losses were an 'event'. Now he doesn't want anyone to panic as we are 8 and 3. Unfortunately, this looks and sounds a LOT like he wants to maintain the status quo. He isn't striving for 'best in the league' but rather for 'going ok'. He isn't looking to make changes that could take us from good to great. He wants to maintain good rather than risk it for the glory. Keep good, because great is scary and risky.
See the 'dropping of Jenkins and Mackay'. It was 'risky' and hence they were brought back in asap.

I'm expecting minimal unforced changes over the entire season.
This week Brown will go out injured and Knight will come in. That will be it.
Mackay survives due to his 'flexibility' and will push to half back.

It is of course insane and dumb thinking. Mackay's selection against Fremantle was justified as needing speed. Mysteriously he was still picked against Geelong when contested ball was the more critical factor. I'm guessing the justification was not changing a team that won by 100 points.

Now we play St. Kilda and the justification will be speed and ability to play back.

Unfortunately, it makes zero sense. We are consistently making up reasons to pick a guy whose ceiling and ability in big games is well known, rather than pic someone who may not play to the same level immediately but may have a higher ceiling. It is the decision making of a group of coaches picking for the now rather than for the future.

Why would we drop Jacobs?

Because he is consistently tapping it either directly to the opposing mids or to the disadvantage of our own mids.
His around the ground work is also poor at the moment.
You would think after last years Sydney debacle with him the club would have learnt.
ROB needs a shot or we will just repeat the same mistakes as last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: Round 12 v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back