Preview Changes Round 5 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

what's the bet it's mcginnity in for shuey :thumbsdown:
lamont-spit-o.gif

We have had bad run with the developing kids too last couple of years , maginness was just building good forrm then did the ankle last year , only recently came out moon boot , ropo and barrass missed most of their 1st season , cavka and lamb , newman just starting to look slim trim and very exciting then does a finger . All of which have nothing to do with changes this week except the lack of match fitness for potential ins . I dont think hutch is fit enough yet and while colledge is doing great at wafl level He still rough around the edges with disposal . He looked like he had more promise than sheed last year until he got knocked out by lycett knee . Maybe the coaches prefer sheed disposal to colledge .

This is why winning against poor sides is bad. We can't drop those who excel even though they are of little utility against better sides.

What is your suggestion for stopping the carve-up to which I referred? Make it realistic too, at least my suggestion was.
Make it realistic? OK sure. The unfortunate reality is that there is no one we can bring in to stop the "carve-up" to which you refer. We don't have anyone currently waiting and ready to play that's going to make much difference whether we win or lose a match this year. We are going to get smashed by the good sides, lose to the average sides and beat up on the bottom four sides whichever fringe players we shift in and out of the side. We are clearly building for the future, especially in the midfield.

If you'd bothered to read my post properly I said I was all for phasing Butler out, unless he suddenly plays every match like he did on the weekend. Consider it from Simpson's point of view though when he's selecting a side for this week, do you really think he's going to drop the player who was arguably the best on ground from the last game? That would be a quick way for him to lose the trust and respect of the rest of the team, especially the young players.

Then we come to your suggestions, no problems with bringing Bennell back and blooding Waterman, but dropping Butler? You talk about being realistic but why the hell would the match committee drop someone who played a great game the week before? And banging on about playing well against poor teams, got some news for you there, most of our players do the same thing. We've got plenty of players who've played poorly against both good and bad teams all season, McGinnity being one of them, why drop someone who's at least shown something?

As for my changes, if Shuey is out then I'd probably go similar to yours in so far as -
Out - Shuey, Masten
In - Bennell, Waterman
Duggan gets a full game

But for mine, McGinnity would never see the field in an Eagles uniform again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not everyone has to be a Gary Ablett type that transform into midfielders during their career
I wish the club would just play Hill and Lecras deep more often rather than trying to turn them into midfielders
But Lecca was initially a midfielder and was only turned forward once entering the AFL.

Make it realistic? OK sure. The unfortunate reality is that there is no one we can bring in to stop the "carve-up" to which you refer. We don't have anyone currently waiting and ready to play that's going to make much difference whether we win or lose a match this year. We are going to get smashed by the good sides, lose to the average sides and beat up on the bottom four sides whichever fringe players we shift in and out of the side. We are clearly building for the future, especially in the midfield.

If you'd bothered to read my post properly I said I was all for phasing Butler out, unless he suddenly plays every match like he did on the weekend. Consider it from Simpson's point of view though when he's selecting a side for this week, do you really think he's going to drop the player who was arguably the best on ground from the last game? That would be a quick way for him to lose the trust and respect of the rest of the team, especially the young players.

Then we come to your suggestions, no problems with bringing Bennell back and blooding Waterman, but dropping Butler? You talk about being realistic but why the hell would the match committee drop someone who played a great game the week before? And banging on about playing well against poor teams, got some news for you there, most of our players do the same thing. We've got plenty of players who've played poorly against both good and bad teams all season, McGinnity being one of them, why drop someone who's at least shown something?

As for my changes, if Shuey is out then I'd probably go similar to yours in so far as -
Out - Shuey, Masten
In - Bennell, Waterman
Duggan gets a full game

But for mine, McGinnity would never see the field in an Eagles uniform again.
I am no good at multi-quoting so I will just highlight the points to which I refer.

I agreed with you and then said this is the problem. We aren't picking a team for the team we are playing, nor do we use the sub to our advantage; we pick a team based on false positives which we all lament each and every week (e.g. see thorne89 and musings about battering minnows so the midfield all keep their spots; an opinion with which I wholeheartedly agree). Butler should stay on the back of the performance against Brisbane, but should he stay? That's the question. In my view no, but I am not the MC, purely an opportunistic BF poster.

I was more referring to calls such as 'bring in Colledge, Karpany and Barrass'. We know that is not going to happen based on logic and our MC's form.

'Most', yes but not all. Hill was good against Freo. McGinnity was shit, sure, but he has been okay and done the job he was given in the first few weeks. I simply think his brand of toughness and unskilled disposal could be useful in the upcoming match. I am not endorsing him as an All-Australian who should play every game, to be clear.

It appears apart from McGinnity we are have bilateral consensus. Agree to disagree. Thanks for the good posts too.

I am no good at multi-quoting so I will just highlight the points to which I refer.

I agreed with you and then said this is the problem. We aren't picking a team for the team we are playing, nor do we use the sub to our advantage; we pick a team based on false positives which we all lament each and every week (e.g. see thorne89 and musings about battering minnows so the midfield all keep their spots; an opinion with which I wholeheartedly agree). Butler should stay on the back of the performance against Brisbane, but should he stay? That's the question. In my view no, but I am not the MC, purely an opportunistic BF poster.

I was more referring to calls such as 'bring in Colledge, Karpany and Barrass'. We know that is not going to happen based on logic and our MC's form.

'Most', yes but not all. Hill was good against Freo. McGinnity was shit, sure, but he has been okay and done the job he was given in the first few weeks. I simply think his brand of toughness and unskilled disposal could be useful in the upcoming match. I am not endorsing him as an All-Australian who should play every game, to be clear.

It appears apart from McGinnity we are have bilateral consensus. Agree to disagree. Thanks for the good posts too.
Yep fair enough, but we're talking about changes for the next game. In the long term I agree that we need to phase/trade out more of the players of the Butler/Masten/Rosa/Selwood and dare I say it, Priddis ilk and replace them with quality young players if we're to compete. As you say we'll have to agree to disagree on McGinnity, he does play with heart but he has absolutely no skill to back it up with. I can see where you're coming from with him but we need someone more like Chick, hard as nails, but actually acts like he's seen a football before when he does get it.

I see your point with Mcspudity , because Gws are gonna run run run with pace , he probably will come in if someone sore or injured over colledge
Who wants Karpany . He hasnt even played a good wafl league game yet. Lots of calls for Duggan to play a full game , I agree , Sheed could be sub .

Yep fair enough, but we're talking about changes for the next game. In the long term I agree that we need to phase/trade out more of the players of the Butler/Masten/Rosa/Selwood and dare I say it, Priddis ilk and replace them with quality young players if we're to compete. As you say we'll have to agree to disagree on McGinnity, he does play with heart but he has absolutely no skill to back it up with. I can see where you're coming from with him but we need someone more like Chick, hard as nails, but actually acts like he's seen a football before when he does get it.
A 2006 Chick would be just what we need. Priddis can stay (he is useful to the young blokes on how to put your head over it!) but should be relegated to playing the role he was always intended for, e.g. 4th or 5th best mid who accumulates then disposes to the guys who can actually kick it end-over-end to a team mate. He was another who was good(ish) against the lions apart from a few characteristic turnovers who will get praise for being our gun.

I see your point with Mcspudity , because Gws are gonna run run run with pace , he probably will come in if someone sore or injured over colledge
Who wants Karpany . He hasnt even played a good wafl league game yet. Lots of calls for Duggan to play a full game , I agree , Sheed could be sub .
Would prefer both Sheed and Duggan to play full games. Priddis will never be sub, but as my previous posts suggest more responsibility should be given to the young blokes to lead, after all.. isn't that what we drafted them for? Masten could be handy off the bench late in the game.

Out: Masten
In: Colledge

Butler McGovern Sheppard
Hurn Schofield Rosa
Duggan Priddis Gaff
Wellingham McInnes Cripps
LeCras Kennedy Hill

Ruck: Natanui Yeo Shuey
Int: Lycett Sheed Nelson Sub: Colledge

Out: Masten
In: Colledge

Butler McGovern Sheppard
Hurn Schofield Rosa
Duggan Priddis Gaff
Wellingham McInnes Cripps
LeCras Kennedy Hill

Ruck: Natanui Yeo Shuey
Int: Lycett Sheed Nelson Sub: Colledge
I have seen GWS a few times they have pace and skill. Does College have any pace, he is described as prone to turnovers by many. In the one AFL appearance I have seen him in he looked very slow both running and in a football sense

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes Round 5 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back