Preview Changes Round 5 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

I will put this one out there and expect to be criticised.

In: Barrass
Out: Masten
Sub - Rosa, Nelson, Butler, Wellingham - anyone but Duggan (he needs and has earned a full game).

Rationale:-
Barrass (In)
We need height down back and with GWS forwards. McInnes is good but I liked him up front with Kennedy. Gov is to play on Cameron at CHB. Barrass on McCarthy at FB. Ruckmen rest on the bench not the pocket.
Barrass is showing something at East Perth - has he fully deserved it? Possibly not. BUT when you have Emac and Brown out for the season, you need to find out more on the next level coming through. Barrass would have played on McCarthy in the state U18 training sessions and in Claremont v South Fremantle. Not the GF as McCarthy had broken his leg at the U18 carnival. Barrass knows McCarthy and should go in with confidence. Body development should be comparable.

Masten (Out)
Nothing personal about the Crayola Kid but his form has been woeful this season and he needs to go.

If there is concern that the team is too tall, then consider resting NicNat or Lycett or Schofield. McInness earned another week with a good solid start to AFL. He can pinch hit in the ruck so capable of playing only 1 ruckman (pick one and be done) and that leaves Schofield as the 3rd tall defender freeing up Rosa or Wellingham or Duggan.

Interesting point regarding Barrass, sounds like this might actually be a good game to debut him if there's a chance that he's ready (I'm not sure if that's the case though). But I'd drop Lycett (or Shoey, who looked a bit worn out) if Barrass came in, and swap Masten for Hutchings or Colledge.

The annoying thing is, Duggan is probably the best sub option we have. He has the smarts and the desire to find the footy late in the game, and when he gets it he tends to use it well. I can definitely see why the coaches would want to start him there, but he can't play sub forever and I really hope this week he gets a full game at west coast, rather than being sent to the wafl for fitness. He looked a class above most others on the ground when he came on late against brissie.

Absolutely - but remember that he was competing with a very tired team that is bottoming out right now (and our team isn't so flashy either, especially by Q4). I agree he can't play sub forever though.

Might Hutchings be a reasonable sub option?

- Young players are showing good signs. To be honest, the players were a little off in attitude earlier in the week - but that all changed when Fraser was named. Kids brought a lot of enthusiasm into the side this week.

Duggan aside, this was the most interesting tidbit for me. Lots of posters have spoken about attitude - this might confirm the theory that players really do play better when they feel like the MC is making fair calls.

Hope Shuey is ok. Would be embarrassing to lose at home to GWS

Hope Shuey is ok. Would be embarrassing to lose at home to GWS

I don't think it's all the embarrassing to lose to GWS anymore.. especially when taking into account our depleted back line taking away an advantage we had over them. Their midfield is ridiculous and they have good outside runners which should love playing at Subi. Hoskin-Elliot will most likely come in as well.

Anyways, surely if Duggan is named he will play a full game. Playing as sub 4 weeks in a row would surely not be helping him build fitness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would you drop Nelson, he's been great???

Great is probably an overstatement - but for a rookie draftee he has shown enough to keep his spot and given the position of our club, even if he falls slightly out of best 22 - he is worth persevering with.

Loved the fact that the ump warned him for elbowing Rockliff in the ribs - love the mongrel

Masten strikes me as the type who would easily wrack up 15 touches in a quarter once everyone is dead on their legs.

Similar to Leigh Adams at North.

Only if the sting is out of the game. If the game is hard, tight and contested would you still expect him to impact the game as sub?

Great is probably an overstatement - but for a rookie draftee he has shown enough to keep his spot and given the position of our club, even if he falls slightly out of best 22 - he is worth persevering with.

Loved the fact that the ump warned him for elbowing Rockliff in the ribs - love the mongrel

Noted this and thought - that's no Masten of Gaff.

Obviously great relative to his age, first year player etc etc. But I think he's shown more this year than a fair few of the rest of our team. I wouldn't even call him fringe 22, think he's cemented his spot for the year apart from the odd rest given to most first year players.

What has he done to be dropped ???
Rnd 1 (1st game) picked up Dalhause and Honeychurch when resting in the forward line, niether did much damage down there, they smashed em in the midfield

Rnd 2 Took Menzel apart, then again, Carlton were shite

Rnd 3 played on Walters, got one when he was actualy on him (not resting for a rotation).hardly the reason Freo belted em, outside McGovern, was the one who played his role.

Rnd 4 picked up Rockliffe (didnt see him with a bag of 5, saw him carrying on like a pork chop because this kid in his 4th game dared test the Lions captain.

put bluntly , it aint the opposition small forwards doing the damage against WCE.........

Playing his role. am convinced he has been told not to enter packs. rather keep very close to the bloke who can do the damage. If he gets 2 possesions a game. i dont care, as long as the forward hes playing on does bugger all

So you'd pick Colledge after he was shown up? And you'd pick Bennell for Nelson even though Nelson has shown more than Bennell in a similar role?

Why in gods name are we dropping Nelson or is there some general soreness you are aware of?

To be fair, Masten was shown up a bit as well. Colledge or Hutchings could well replace him and I'm not sure how much he'd be missed - would probably depend upon the opposition though, Colledge probably doesn't have the leg speed to be competitive against the GWS outside mids, not sure about Hutchings.

As for Nelson, there was some talk about him needing a rest - not sure if that's just supposition (I suspect it is). I think Bennell still has potential (and from the sound of it, could do well on a wing) but until he fixes his defensive side he'll find it tough to crack a game.

Not wrong, a tad bizarre wasn't it.
Ah, just noticed his username and that he's a dockers supporter, 15:40 on a Tuesday Perth time so he's probably way past half cut!!
sorry lads .
i replied to the wrong post.
Id luv to be half cut , and following the Heave Ho, at least id have a reason to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes Round 5 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back