Preview Changes Round 5 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair, Masten was shown up a bit as well. Colledge or Hutchings could well replace him and I'm not sure how much he'd be missed - would probably depend upon the opposition though, Colledge probably doesn't have the leg speed to be competitive against the GWS outside mids, not sure about Hutchings.

As for Nelson, there was some talk about him needing a rest - not sure if that's just supposition (I suspect it is). I think Bennell still has potential (and from the sound of it, could do well on a wing) but until he fixes his defensive side he'll find it tough to crack a game.

I've been saying he'll be rested since round 1 :drunk:

If Shuey gets up and there are no changes, who will be sub?

Duggan - please god no.
Wellingham - definitely a possibility, but has been ok this year.
Masten - can't remember last time he was sub (if ever), but has to be a candidate
Cripps - could be an option, especially if he is still a bit sore
Others - Hill, Sheed
growing demand for sub to be scrapped , they should have at least made sub be able to be reset after half time

For me the only change i would do is Masten sub and Duggan a full game. IF Shuey is not fit i would also bring in Hutchings.

Team:

Butler Mcgovern Nelson
Shep Schoey Hurn

Gaff Priddis Rosa

Wellers Mcinnes Sheed
Lecra JK Cripps

Ruck: Nic Nat, Yeo, Shuey/Hutchings

Bench: Hill, Lycett, Duggan Sub: Masten.

- Duggan may tire as the match goes on so Masten can swap with him.

- Mcinnes to swing back if we are getting pumped by their tall forward line.

- Yeo MUST stay in the midfield.

- I feel Simpson does not use Masten right and with the way he is struggling as an inside mid he must only play on the outside or as a forward flank.
I think you're pretty close here. Though I think Rosa, Hurn and Shep will share backline and wing duties. And I agree that Masten should be used primarily as a smaller forward, he was kicking plenty of goals in 2011 (edit it was 2012) i think it was, when he was playing forward a hell of a lot.

Question - will Schofield be able to change to give us run from the backline? If yes - then fine. If not. Then drop either Lycett or NicNat playing a young McInnes pinch hitting in the ruck. Therefore maybe including Barrass means dropping Masten plus a tall meaning we pick the best midfielder/running player at East Perth and be happy. That could be Bennell, Hutchings, Waterman, Lucas, Colledge, etc depending on how you see match ups and team balance.

I expect calls of no to resting either Lycett or NicNat. Reality is they are not the best combination running around at present. Maybe potential but not yet. I am OK to send a message of what they need to do differently and give them a chance to experiment at EP.

Question. Would it be best to test Barrass on McCarthy now given a close physical match up and an opponent Barrass would be confident with or wait another 4 weeks until we play Geelong and realise Schofield is only a 3rd tall and he has to debut on Hawkins or Clark?

I would rather risk losing a couple of games in 2015 by finding out more about some players and get games into players who are our next Gov. I think of McInnes and Barrass as KPP that may just blossom in 2015.

In terms of the stars of the 2014 draft, I love the way we are giving games to the new boys. May long these guys be prioritised.
there wont be any changes this week

di
I agree that Masten would be a great sub.
d anyone notice that Duggan sprinted into the centre off half back at least twice maybe more at centre bounces , he made it basically 5 on 4 and he cleared twice with clean hands . Showed to me he keen to impact as the fresh sub and use the extra legs

If Shuey gets up and there are no changes, who will be sub?

Duggan - please god no.
Wellingham - definitely a possibility, but has been ok this year.
Masten - can't remember last time he was sub (if ever), but has to be a candidate
Cripps - could be an option, especially if he is still a bit sore
Others - Hill, Sheed
I would prefer it if we just dropped Masten

(Log in to remove this ad.)

shuey
Shuey and Duggan not sighted at training , Duggan missed recovery also .

Liam only played one quarter so probably didnt need recovery
probably told to keep weight off ankle , quite often now players will be on crutches all week and play on game day , Duggan may have got an extra stop over in Victoria on way home to see family .

His tackle numbers and 1%er's would be interesting too - if he's getting contested possessions but not tackling, then he's not winning the ball but rather receiving it in a contested situation (when he should have cleared off of his opponent). If he's not shepherding for other players or putting pressure on opponents to help lower their disposal efficiency than he's not playing with the team in mind which is unacceptable at AFL level.

If it was only Gaff that he was competing with, there might be room for him but the reality is we also have Rosa and Wellingham around the flanks, not to mention Duggan, Cripps and LeCras rotating through there as well. We need a 2nd touch midfielder who is better under contested situations... I think this is where the allure of bringing in Waterman comes from - even if he's bringing similar attributes to Priddis, he'll be more capable of either providing a shepherd for Priddis to get a cleaner handball out, or getting the first handball and distributing it. Masten is playing that role too often recently and is just getting thrown aside.

Quote worthy post. :thumbsu:

Actually i thought/ 99% knew you meant Gov , I agree Barrass is gonna be a gun , Ropo as well , I used to always call up 6 pr years ago even when we had lynchy and tell em we should elevate mcgovern and replace lynchy. Langdon never agreed of course . Seemed to take forever for Gov to be elevated. Yes I reach round and pat myself on the back on my early opinion on the Gov.

They always think they know best (Langdon & co). Years ago when Lynch was playing CHB I was at an Eagles lunch with some of the eagles coaching staff and I asked why didn't they try Lynch forward because we were struggling for a forward target at the time. I was told in no uncertain terms that it wouldn't happen...

They always think they know best (Langdon & co). Years ago when Lynch was playing CHB I was at an Eagles lunch with some of the eagles coaching staff and I asked why didn't they try Lynch forward because we were struggling for a forward target at the time. I was told in no uncertain terms that it wouldn't happen...
When will you learn, you shouldn't question paid experts, they are beyond reproach.

Great is probably an overstatement - but for a rookie draftee he has shown enough to keep his spot and given the position of our club, even if he falls slightly out of best 22 - he is worth persevering with.

Loved the fact that the ump warned him for elbowing Rockliff in the ribs - love the mongrel

That really pissed me off on the weekend, its of no business to the umpire if Nelson is testing out a guy with sore ribs, as long as he doesn't do anything illegal (ie high or a full punch etc), then its all part of the game. If a guy is not fit to play then he shouldn't be on the field, if he's been passed fit, then the opposition have every right to test him out. ****ing game is turning into kindergarten..

That really pissed me off on the weekend, its of no business to the umpire if Nelson is testing out a guy with sore ribs, as long as he doesn't do anything illegal (ie high or a full punch etc), then its all part of the game. If a guy is not fit to play then he shouldn't be on the field, if he's been passed fit, then the opposition have every right to test him out. ******* game is turning into kindergarten..

That's not the case anymore - you are not allowed to interfere with an injured player

My argument is he has been passed fit to play and is therefore not injured, however the afl don't see it that way

That's not the case anymore - you are not allowed to interfere with an injured player

My argument is he has been passed fit to play and is therefore not injured, however the afl don't see it that way

Well like I said, that's bullshit, because as you say, if he's been passed fit to play, then he's fair game. The umpire has no right to decide he's injured unless he's seen the injury occur on field recently and then people cannon in to him to further hurt the player..

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes Round 5 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back