Changes vs Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Vader L.Thompson can't survive based on that performance

Jacobs, Shaw have to come in
I'd still have Lyons in for Symes .......in case we have a midfielder go down we have to have some more games into Lyons as he's our only real backup

Did anyone else hear Sando on 5AA tonight?

My impression is that Stiffy is on very thin ice.

Arguably in our top five last week, reviewing his game hindsight.

Still has a weird knack for kicking OOF, and his individual turnovers always strangely stick in my mind, despite being one of my favourite players.

He certainly has x factor and is trending nicely towards the late second year break out period many player of his type have.
I love Smith's kicking style. Very sublime and effortless. I'd describe him as a right footed left footer.....if you know what I mean. ;)
I think it was Milburn earlier this year who compared Brodie's kicking with Joel Corey - fair compliment from someone who should know.

What did he say about Stiffy?

I'll listen to interview later

Cornes was being his normal know-all self and telling Sando that Stiffy had to be playing in our back six. Sando initially went with the politically correct response but when pushed further said something like "we can't take into account form over the last ten years".

Cornes was being his normal know-all self and telling Sando that Stiffy had to be playing in our back six. Sando initially went with the politically correct response but when pushed further said something like "we can't take into account form over the last ten years".

Brutal.

So how has Doughty kept his spot?

So how has Doughty kept his spot?

Apparently we can pencil him in for the next three years. Sando also seemed much more impressed with McKernan than most on this board.

With five games remaining I am going to have to concede defeat with Dogga. I think my call that we can't have both Dogga and Stiffy in the back six by the end of the year is still looking good.

Apparently we can pencil him in for the next three years. Sando also seemed much more impressed with McKernan than most on this board.
as said have to build McKernans self confidence ......Sando was never going to publicly say anything negative

We won the clearances on Saturday but Smack did very little around the ground. How did that compare to the Geelong number one ruckman?
Who West? .....hardly a good benchmark

Better benchmark is how many possessions McKernan v Jacobs normal output (about half)

I was very critical of his around the ground game Sat ....lazy!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even I was taken aback by the complete honesty in the response.

he is either putting Stiffy on notice publicly or is just stirring the pot and making a point.

Even I was taken aback by the complete honesty in the response.

he is either putting Stiffy on notice publicly or is just stirring the pot and making a point.

Sando hasn't seen the last 10 years of Stiffy magic. From what he's seen this year he couldn't have faith in Stiffy playing in defence in a tight game against the better teams. Using him as a forward or off the bench is a much safer option. Stiffy hasn't been listed in the coaches award all season and neither has Dogga and Truck. From the coaches view point our best defenders have been Reilly and Petrenko.

Vader L.Thompson can't survive based on that performance

Jacobs, Shaw have to come in
I'd still have Lyons in for Symes .......in case we have a midfielder go down we have to have some more games into Lyons as he's our only real backup
Four points..
  1. I didn't see the game on Saturday, though I did listen to it on the radio (ABC commentary team).
  2. I would like to see Thompson given another opportunity this week, rather than just dropping him after one game.
  3. I wholeheartedly admit my bias against Symes - I'd rather see the famous "inanimate carbon rod" selected ahead of him.
  4. I have already admitted to overlooking Jacobs' return, which will (or should) come at McKernan's expense.

Jacobs in for Mckernan is an easy one. Jenkins was VERY good on the weekend and I am liking what I am seeing.
Shaw (assuming fit) comes in for L.Thompson. Only reason he was selected was Shaw wasn't fit and didn't do enough to stay in the side at the expense of somebody else.
Symes was very slow whenever he had the ball and is a liability at AFL level. Bring in Lyons who was good for the Bays on the weekend.

Jacobs in for Mckernan is an easy one. Jenkins was VERY good on the weekend and I am liking what I am seeing.
Shaw (assuming fit) comes in for L.Thompson. Only reason he was selected was Shaw wasn't fit and didn't do enough to stay in the side at the expense of somebody else.
Symes was very slow whenever he had the ball and is a liability at AFL level. Bring in Lyons who was good for the Bays on the weekend.

I agree with all this except instead of Lyons, I would go with Riley, with Stiffy as the sub.

Not sure on Riley at this stage. I don't think he has the skills to make it at AFL level.

I don't know about that. If Petrenko went down or doesn't recover his early season form, I reckon Riley would be an ideal defensive half forward. Was very good in a similar role late last year, against quality opposition in the Cats.

Thought Sando's interview was very interesting. On Stiffy basically said that you can't select on reputation and in the end you have to have some form to get selected in the team. Thought he sounded pretty critical of him.

As for Smack he was quite complimentary of him. Said that you have to understand that 3 weeks ago he fractured his cheek and the docs said it would be a 6 week injury. He has done virtually no competetive work over the last 3 weeks and came in out of necessity with Jacobs and Tip unavailable so the fact that he was even out there was impressive. He said he thought he did a good job and in particular was quite positive about his ruckwork and felt he worked himself into the game as it wore on. He felt his ruckwork was one of the instigators of our 3rd quarter comeback.

As for Riley - while he got asked about him specifically, he said his form for Sturt had been outstanding, his clearance work was very impressive and he'd be in the mix for selection over the next couple of weeks.

And don't you love the current set up with the SANFL.

Five byes this week with Knighta enjoying consecutive byes with the Eagles.

Sturt have a bye next week so it would not be ideal to name Tambling in the 25 unless he is going to get a game (Sturt play Norwood on Friday Night). I have a feeling that Aidan Riley will get a run as the sub this week.

In - Jacobs, Riley, Shaw

Out - McKernan, Symes, L. Thompson

I think Stiffy is on very thin ice and if they want to give Sauce or Sam Shaw another week off then McKernan and Luke Thompson survive.

My conspiracy theory has Tippett returning for the Brisbane match which gives him 4 weeks since the head clash with Beau.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back