Changes vs Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

i'd give LT another week - bit harsh dropping him after 1 week. Callinan has been a bit quiet last couple of weeks - he could start feeling some heat. For me i'd make the 1 change (assuming jacobs and tippet are still inj).

Out : Symes -Not the ideal person to start as sub - he's more an indurance player than an impact player
In : Tambling

Alright I'm going to get shot down for this but here goes:

OUT: McKernan, Symes, Luke Thompson, Petrenko
IN: Jacobs, Lyons, Shaw, Riley

Consider Petrenko's last four games:

vs North: 5 disposals, score 0.0
vs Richmond: 4 disposals, score 0.1
(Missed Port and GWS games due to injury)
vs West Coast: 8 disposals, score 0.0
vs Geelong: 9 disposals, score 0.0

I love Pets but that's just not good enough.

Callinan's recent stats don't make for pretty reading either (he hasn't even laid a tackle in his last 4 games).

Callinan's recent stats don't make for pretty reading either (he hasn't even laid a tackle in his last 4 games).

Before the bye, was quite possibly in our top 10 players. Since the bye he's been struggling. Granted he's been playing shutdown roles, but like Blighty said, he doesn't have enough impact once he gets the ball. Would want to have a big game this week and also get on the scoreboard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Internally I think you'll find coaches very happy with Pets, he was in the bests against West Coast for his job on Hurn.
He was sub against North and Sando has publicly said he made an error there so he won't be dropped.
Agree on Callinan I think he's getting more respect now and being more closely checked.

Before finals, as soon as we're able to I'd like to see:

IN: Tippett, Jacobs, Shaw, Henderson
OUT: McKernan, Jenkins, Symes, Luke Thompson

We're not in a position to have any impact on the finals without our best 22 out there. Hopefully we can get 3 or 4 of the above this week.

Hard to assess callinan. On the positive he created 4 clear scoring chances and should have had a 5th when tex failed to centre a ball on 3/4 time.

On a good day that should have been 4.1 . But it was a bad day so it was 1.3.

Needs to nail those chances to keep himself safe.

I wouldn't mind B Smith having a couple of weeks off - he has been stinking it up in the last few weeks. Hopefully Shaw's eye has improved and be included; therefore
ins: Shaw, Jacobs possibly Lyons
outs: Mckernan, Smith doubts over Jenna T {injury}
Brodie had the highest disposal efficiency for the team vs Geelong, from 20 touches.
Equal 3rd in rebound 50's.
Only had the 1 clanger.
Top 10 in the team for most statistical categories you'd expect to see him in the mix for (so I'm not looking at hitouts.. tackles/i50's just outside top 10)

He's a young player and improving - look elsewhere for guys to drop for mine.

Brodie had the highest disposal efficiency for the team vs Geelong, from 20 touches.
Equal 3rd in rebound 50's.
Only had the 1 clanger.
Top 10 in the team for most statistical categories you'd expect to see him in the mix for (so I'm not looking at hitouts.. tackles/i50's just outside top 10)

He's a young player and improving - look elsewhere for guys to drop for mine.

Agree. Don't understand why so many see him as a fallguy.

Drop Brodie Smith?

And in a perfect world a young kid looks great in his first game and just keeps getting better (think Patty Dangerfield and Rory Sloane). In reality 99% of 100+ game players have good games and bad games in their first three seasons and some times their form trails off and they are put back to the two's to work on parts of their game (think Taylor Walker and Sam Jacobs at Carlton). Why do so many posters say "we must play the kids" and then call for them to be dropped when they don't dominate.

We need to accept some pain, bite the bullit and play these guys (e.g. Jarryd Lyons). Not one game on the bench and then they're gone but give them 3 or 4 games in a row. We're happy to do it with Knights etc. Where do you think our improvement will come from in the next two years, Dogga, Stiffy, Knighta, Nutta, Symes and Tambling or Smith, Shaw, Wright, Lyons, Brown and Kerridge?

P.S. I have absolutely no idea where Lynchy fits into all of this.

Shaw needs to come back in.
Smith needs to be kept in.
Wrights already replaced our captain in the midfield rotations - going great guns.
Don't mind Riley/Lyons getting a look if symes comes out - and we have other senior players who need to be dropped (injury or form.. not sure who that might be at this point).
Kerridge needs to focus on winning more ball in the SANFL - and have a huge preseson - games should come for him next year IMO.

I love Jenkins but fear what Fletcher will do to him on the rebound.

Jenkins is raw and has all the tools to do well, and i believe we should persist with him, but he is on a steep leaning curve pertaining to footy nous.

At our last home game, despite Jenkins doing well, it was painfully obvious that when he plays as a forward he doesn't anticipate or make the play very well. His defender read the ball better most times, and Fletcher is the ultimate reader of the ball.

Our options are to bring in Lynch to play a close checking role on Fletcher (ala the Cornes role) or let Jenkins go for it and learn a lesson.

If Tippett isn't fit, I'd bring in Lynch anyway (McKernan out for Jacobs, keep Jenkins, have an additional tall forward).

So it should look something like this:

Jacobs for McKernan
Tippett/Lynch/Johnston for Symes
Shaw for L Thompson

and personally I'd be happy to see Riley or Lyons given a crack but cannot see any more obvious omissions unless we don't pick the additional tall (Lynch/Johnston). Johncock would be nervous but i think we'll persist for another couple, Doughty is Doughty and will stay, and no one else should get the chop just yet. In any case, it seems Tambling is next in the pecking order for some reason.

Thankfully all of Lyons, Lynch, Riley, Tambling, Johnston will get SANFL games if needed this week despite the gazillion byes in that comp.

Really need Shaw and Hendo back to get some balance to our line up.

I also find it rather strange that all the posters who were screaming for Aidan Riley to be played last year (have I mentioned how he went in the Sturt B&F last year) seem happy to ignore the fact that he is absolutely killing them in the SANFL this year.

Go figure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes vs Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back