Changes vs Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

How much attention do they give to the SANFL byes when selecting the senior team? I'm fairly sure it comes into consideration when selecting the emergency players, but the first 22? If Johncock is in line for the axe (and he may well be), then I doubt the fact that the Port Magpies have a bye would make any difference.

I guess I get a little annoyed at how Doughty looked after due to experience and what brought to club when Stiffy for whatever reason is being pushed around and has played 3 times more better games than Doughty and saved team numerous times and hurts the opposition when in possession .
Now reason for treatment of Stiffy may be internal just think been one of our shining lights for many years
and unlucky not to get AA once or twice where if suggested Doughty for AA would be laughed at .
Think there will be 1 more change than expected apart from Symes and Smack out for Sam and Shaw
maybe with Tambling , Lyons or Johnson getting a go but still say Lynch has been very very unlucky

How much attention do they give to the SANFL byes when selecting the senior team? I'm fairly sure it comes into consideration when selecting the emergency players, but the first 22? If Johncock is in line for the axe (and he may well be), then I doubt the fact that the Port Magpies have a bye would make any difference.

I seriously hope we're not selecting our team based on who has the bye. I'm all for selecting our emergencies, especially our traveling emergencies based on the bye, especially when we've got so many fit players pushing for selection. I hate to see guys miss out on a game just because they're the traveling emergency, especially when the SANFL's bye schedules are so disruptive.

I love Stiffy, I've got #18 on my jumper, but, lets face it, he was dropped because he was fat.

I'm not 100% sold that his fitness is where it should be yet, and if it isn't, he probably shouldn't be in the side.

I think there's little doubt that his fitness is not up to scratch. Watching him on the weekend, his ability to weave through heavy traffic in defense and find a good target is still there, he's still the same old Stiffy with the ball, but the worry is his ability to consistently make contests and create pressure. I hope he is at that level and is just finding touch, but I'm certainly not convinced.

Here we go again..

B: Sam Shaw, Ben Rutten, Michael Doughty
HB: Nathan van Berlo, Daniel Talia, Brent Reilly
C: Bernie Vince, Scott Thompson, Brodie Smith
HF: Jared Petrenko, Taylor Walker, Matt Wright
F: Richard Douglas, Jason Porplyzia, Ian Callinan
FOLL: Sam Jacobs, Patrick Dangerfield, Rory Sloane
INTERCHANGE FROM: Josh Jenkins, Graham Johncock, Shaun McKernan, Aidan Riley, Brad Symes, Richard Tambling, Luke Thompson
INS: Sam Jacobs, Aidan Riley, Sam Shaw, Richard Tambling
OUT: David Mackay (toe)

Here we go again..

B: Sam Shaw, Ben Rutten, Michael Doughty
HB: Nathan van Berlo, Daniel Talia, Brent Reilly
C: Bernie Vince, Scott Thompson, Brodie Smith
HF: Jared Petrenko, Taylor Walker, Matt Wright
F: Richard Douglas, Jason Porplyzia, Ian Callinan
FOLL: Sam Jacobs, Patrick Dangerfield, Rory Sloane
INTERCHANGE FROM: Josh Jenkins, Graham Johncock, Shaun McKernan, Aidan Riley, Brad Symes, Richard Tambling, Luke Thompson
INS: Sam Jacobs, Aidan Riley, Sam Shaw, Richard Tambling
OUT: David Mackay (toe)

Hmmm, shame about Mackay, I'd suspect Tambling will be brought in as a direct swap, I think Riley, L Thompson and either Symes or McKernan will drop out depending on the side Essendon name and the weather.

At this stage:
In: Jacobs, Tambling, Shaw
Out: Thompson, Symes, Mackay (Toe)

And I'd guess that Johncock will start as the sub.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully one or both of Riley and Tambling get a chance to string a few games together. Need to build some more depth across the ground as we head towards September.

Hopefully one or both of Riley and Tambling get a chance to string a few games together. Need to build some more depth across the ground as we head towards September.

I rate Tambling as a definite replacement for Mackay, Riley I think depends as much on the weather as anything. Essendon have an extremely tall team with two recognised ruckman, on a dry day we'll likely need both McKernan and Jenkins, however if the weather's sh*t, I suspect McKernan will be dropped for Riley. Symes is a definite out IMO, as is L Thompson considering Shaw is back.

Don't know how I feel about Tambling playing. I've watched a few games on TV of Sturt and he hasn't stood out at all and to be frank I'd rather give Kerridge a shot as he was our first draft pick. Being as that is, Tambling is a number 4 draft pick and I suppose you ought to give him every chance to prove himself ( and earn that bloody 350k he is getting) before we move him on.

Hmmm....looks like the outs will be Thompson, symes and one of either smack or jj. Stiffy the sub?

That being the case kudos to tambo for persevering and working his way into form. Good luck.to him.

Couldn't be overtraining could it?

They basically said as much, and that they expected it. Apparently they were coming from such a low base, that they made the decision to load them up insanely, and force a rapid improvement - injuries are collateral damage.

On the ins; I just realized I considered Shaw to be a key inclusion - not bad for a kid in single digit games!

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes vs Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back