Preview R20: Changes vs. Hawthorn

Will Daniel Curtin come in this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

lol at anyone who thinks Smith is going to be dropped...

They'll take a conservative approach with Murray, Butts is out, and Dawson concussion protocols.

Worrell has by all reports been able to continue conditioning, so I think he comes straight back in.

It'll be Borlase and Worrell in for Murray and Butts. Berg very unlucky to to be making way, has covered the ground quite well IMO. I think TT gets further up the ground and Walker stays at home.

Outs: Butts (inj), Murray (inj), Berg (Omit), Dawson (Protocols)
Ins: Borlase, Worrell, Walker, Jones/McHenry

I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks, but I want the Hawks scalp.

They'll take a conservative approach with Murray, Butts is out, and Dawson concussion protocols.

Worrell has by all reports been able to continue conditioning, so I think he comes straight back in.

It'll be Borlase and Worrell in for Murray and Butts. Berg very unlucky to to be making way, has covered the ground quite well IMO. I think TT gets further up the ground and Walker stays at home.

Curtin?

I reckon the Hawks played their GF on Saturday and might be a bit off this week.

We have to get Curtin in somehow.

It's a very good point...they have a plethora of quality small forwards which probably exceeds our supply of true lockdown small/med defenders (esp. with Hamill out injured). Unfortunately Smith, Nankervis and Hinge are going to need to match up on some of Watson, Breust, Ginnivan, Moore, Macdonald, Hardwick at various stages...this is definitely Hawthorn's path to victory and potentially their ability to rebound quickly out of defence if we go tall in attack.

Edit: there's possibly cause for a recall for Jones this weekend to address this issue...could see him replacing either Himmelberg or Cook if the selectors wanted to go that way.
yeah you can see an argument for Jones coming back as a small defender

Not every time at all, and there’s plenty that didn’t recognise the good stuff. And I absolutely disagree that Rachele had more bad than good. Watch it again, you are being way too harsh. Rob was also up against two genuine ruckmen. I reckon he too did more good than bad. Our biggest problem with him is his inconsistent marking around the ground. That’s what we need from him. I agree with you re Smith and Murphy though.
Totally fair reply, thanks :thumbsu: . I might watch the replay on afl.com tonight.
Someone else pointed out his 3 goals, pressure acts and goal assists.

They can also swing Sicily down there. I guess Hinge could probably take him but that's not ideal for us. If wooz is right to go I'd roll the dice on him.
Gunston hasn't played the past 2 weeks. We could decide to go the 3 talls. If Sicily's shoulder is getting better and can handle his usual role he will stay back particularly with your big forward line. We may opt to play another tall back there someone like Serong or Phillips to cover them which I wouldn't be against. We were able to go smaller on the weekend because Collingwood are going a bit smaller ATM due to injuries but it will be different on the weekend. Could potentially play the same lineup as our earlier match this year with Meek in the ruck instead of Reeves.

Moore had a career game against us last time. Can't remember who we played on him last time but obviously didn't work. Bond or Max would be my guess this week. No interest in either getting their own ball if they shut him out. The other one can go to ginnivan, wouldn't expect him to play like he did vs pies this week.

Would put Nank to Watson, he's not got much to his game and Nank could just run off him.

Sicily is absolutely cooked with that shoulder, hopefully some good body spoiling on him this weekend.
Bit harsh on Watson, has already shown a bit for a first year small forward. It was his most complete game all year 3 goals a few score involvements even a couple of centre clearances late in the game. His defensive pressure is very good which is what kept his confidence up when he wasn't kicking accurately at goal. It's where we see we can an advantage for sure our smalls up forward. Conor McDonald is also in very good form too.

Bit harsh on Watson, has already shown a bit for a first year small forward. It was his most complete game all year 3 goals a few score involvements even a couple of centre clearances late in the game. His defensive pressure is very good which is what kept his confidence up when he wasn't kicking accurately at goal. It's where we see we can an advantage for sure our smalls up forward. Conor McDonald is also in very good form too.
Yeah probably could've worded it better my point was more that if we had to lock down on 2 players I would think it should be Moore and Ginnivan. We can use Nankervis to rebound (not saying that will work) while playing on him. Obviously we can't play 4 lock down small defenders

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah probably could've worded it better my point was more that if we had to lock down on 2 players I would think it should be Moore and Ginnivan. We can use Nankervis to rebound (not saying that will work) while playing on him. Obviously we can't play 4 lock down small defenders
Honestly I would just have Keays defensive tag Sicily. Amazed Collingwood didn't do it on the weekend TBH. At the very least give his shoulder a workout and see if it can handle physicality. He's so important to what we try to do every week it should be a no brainer. Teams went to work on Stewart and it paid dividends and he's the same sort of player.

I'm coming around to the idea of playing a tall side this week. Need to try something vs the hawks who are very quick which is a weakness of ours. Just do an early sub if it isn't working. Also means they are forced to play a clearly hampered Sicily in defence

Reckon you find ways to test that shoulder of Sicily but fairly. He would react aggressively, which is exactly what you want.

Here's my suggested changes:
  • Butts out is an obvious one; Borlase in is pretty like for like.
  • Murray out (take absolutely no chances with him - he's a key pillar of the team for the next decade); Walker comes in to give us maximum firepower up front and in recognition that the Hakws are not tall up forward so we don't need too many KPDs. Not sure if he's available but Worrell is too important to rush back.
  • Dawson out; Curtin in...you know it makes sense.

Defensive match-ups:
  • Keane on Chol is a nice match-up...should be able to match him for agility and height.
  • Borlase taking Dear gives James every chance to perform well...covers him for size and they're both pretty inexperienced so you'd hope to keep him to 1-2 goals max. and limited impact.
  • Bond on Watson would also be a good test for Bond...he did such a good job on Higgins first up and I felt small defender was the right slot for him. Was a bit surprised he pushed him up the ground to be a full-on tagger with Merrett which was understandably a struggle. Hoping he can lockdown on Watson and again not let him be a three-goal matchwinner.
  • Michalanney on Breust. I think this is the key matchup and for the Hawks to kick a winning score they'll need Breust to kick multiple goals.
  • Nankervis on Ginnivan. Like Breust I think this is critical and so I think we need one of our best on him and I just don't trust Smith to get the job done.
  • I'd be keeping Himmelberg in the team to continue to protect TT from having to do ruck duties. Given that - and with Walker coming back in - Berg becomes the swingman doing 2nd ruck, filling in down back if Keane/Borlase need a rest and allowing us to stretch the Hawks up forward if we can.
  • Let the kids have the run of the centre square - start with Soligo, Berry and Taylor and see how we go. If we don't get smashed in the middle and they don't walk it out of our forward line on rebound then I have some confidence that we can kick a winning score and their forward line is not that intimidating.
Team:

FF: Murphy - Walker - Thilthorpe
HF: Keays - Fogarty - Rachele
C: Curtin - Soligo - Sholl
FOLL: O'Brien - Berry - Taylor
HB: Hinge - Keane - Nankervis
FB: Bond - Borlase - Michalanney
INT: Smith - Dowling - Laird - Himmelberg
SUB: Cook

What is the plan for Dylan Moore? Who went crazy last time with 5 goals along with Gunston with 3.

Yeah, with Breust in the starting line-up Moore is pushed into more of a midfield role rotating with Ginnivan and McDonald forward.
Michaelanny v Bruest
Bond v Ginnivan
Nankervis v McDonald

The bigger question is who we will have left to play as tall defenders.

Didn’t he get dropped recently?

Curtin has had two very good games in the centre in the SANFL. Time for him.
Curtin in for Dawson Inj
Borlase comes in for Butts inj
Tex in for Berg (unlucky)

AFL
F Walker Thilthorpe Rachele
HF Keays Fogarty Cook
C Dowling Berry Sholl
HB MLanney Murray Hinge
B Bond Keane Laird
R O'Brien Curtin Soligo
I Taylor Smith Borlase Nankervis
S Jones