Changes vs Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

With Riley I can only see him replacing Petrenko as same type of smash and crash type of players but dont think coaches are ready to drop Pets yet.
Though both Pets and Callinan both need to add a bit more value to team and I am a big Callinan fan but must average at least 2 goals per game to stay in you would think .
Johncock really should only be kept as a defender ,please no more forward as above too many not doing enough.
OUTS -- McKernan -- Symes -- L Thompson are no brainers and can only hope crazy Ziebell etc AFL dont suspend Scotty.
Ins - Depends on fitness of Shaw and Tippett mainly as definite ins.
Possibles
Lynch --- Unlucky and Sando unloved should be a definite if Shaw or Tippett not fit .
Lyon --- Certainly got class and type player looking to groom and performs SANFL
Tambling --- Just think worthwile looking at to add some pace and really dont do now then history .
Playing much better in SANFL and Jaensch lost it temporaly
Johnson --- Think only chance is if want to rest Tippett another week .
Havent seen play so cant pass too much judgement on.
Jenkins did enough to stay in and offers value going ahead and even if Tippett ok think would not be too keen for him to ruck too much.
Not sure of Henderson fitness status but they would be looking to get him back in ASAP

Is Rutten a chance to be rested, so that Luke Thompson gets another game?
He deserves a rest but unless the Queen Mary needs to go in for a hull scrape I think Liposuction is the only other option;)

And how can people be calling for Symes head on the back on two bit games on the pine?

If Tippett isn't fit, I'd bring in Lynch anyway (McKernan out for Jacobs, keep Jenkins, have an additional tall forward).

I think it is important than an extra tall forward is brought into the side, we need to make opposition talls far more accountable and in doing so this will create more 1 on 1 contests and bring guys like Callinan and Petrenko into the play.

Personally against Essendon, I'd like to see us run with Walker, Jenkins and McKernan, assuming Tippett doesn't get up of course. Essendon like to run with at least 2 recognised, genuine ruckman and I think running with Jacobs and only Jenkins as backup could hurt us. In this time before finals we should be attempting to lighten Jacobs load, Jenkins ability in the ruck isn't such that he would allow us to do this, McKernan's is. Once Tippett returns I think McKernan will drop out and either Jenkins or Lynch will remain as our 3rd tall.

Before the bye, [Petrenko] was quite possibly in our top 10 players. Since the bye he's been struggling. Granted he's been playing shutdown roles, but like Blighty said, he doesn't have enough impact once he gets the ball. Would want to have a big game this week and also get on the scoreboard.

Note the date he received the Vader seal of approval - I think you'll find that marked his decline in form. Please Vader, for the sake of the team, issue a retraction and resume your vehement hatred of Petrenko.

McKernan will stay in if Tippett doesn't come up. Sando thought he played well, and Jacobs is coming back from a week off with Hamstring tightness. Would not be smart to take him into the game, and make him ruck 80-90%+

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brodie had the highest disposal efficiency for the team vs Geelong, from 20 touches.
Equal 3rd in rebound 50's.
Only had the 1 clanger.
Top 10 in the team for most statistical categories you'd expect to see him in the mix for (so I'm not looking at hitouts.. tackles/i50's just outside top 10)

He's a young player and improving - look elsewhere for guys to drop for mine.

Oops he obviously played a whole lot better than I credited him for and in the back of my mind for a few weeks has been his shocker where he looked lost and kicked a couple out on the full. He is a little like McKay I would suggest in that he goes about it without standing out.
I am not "off" him or bagging him but thought it may be time for him to have a rest, however I stand corrected and if his stats stand tall then he should stay. Therefore Shaw and Jacobs to come in as it sounds if TIppett will be given another weeks rest. I wouldn't mind Johnston having a look to stretch the Bombers backline with Jenkins to help out Jacobs therefore three in means I need to find one more to come out and even though it's not like for like and would require a shuffle perhaps Doughty could help out at the Panthers with his mate McKernan!!

Brodie had the highest disposal efficiency for the team vs Geelong, from 20 touches.
Equal 3rd in rebound 50's.
Only had the 1 clanger.
Top 10 in the team for most statistical categories you'd expect to see him in the mix for (so I'm not looking at hitouts.. tackles/i50's just outside top 10)

He's a young player and improving - look elsewhere for guys to drop for mine.
Arguably in our top five last week, reviewing his game hindsight.

Still has a weird knack for kicking OOF, and his individual turnovers always strangely stick in my mind, despite being one of my favourite players.

He certainly has x factor and is trending nicely towards the late second year break out period many player of his type have.

I think it is important than an extra tall forward is brought into the side, we need to make opposition talls far more accountable and in doing so this will create more 1 on 1 contests and bring guys like Callinan and Petrenko into the play.

Personally against Essendon, I'd like to see us run with Walker, Jenkins and McKernan, assuming Tippett doesn't get up of course. Essendon like to run with at least 2 recognised, genuine ruckman and I think running with Jacobs and only Jenkins as backup could hurt us. In this time before finals we should be attempting to lighten Jacobs load, Jenkins ability in the ruck isn't such that he would allow us to do this, McKernan's is. Once Tippett returns I think McKernan will drop out and either Jenkins or Lynch will remain as our 3rd tall.
I don't mind this - as long as the weather isn't too bad... also to stretch the Dons down back. Also, keeping McKernan in instead of say L Thompson, he can also play back if need be id Shaw doesn't come up.

Jacobs in for L Thompson
Shaw in for Symes if fit (otherwise 1 change is enough ... but a few players on notice).

Would like to see Stiffy given a full run in defence, which means either Smith or Dogga as a sub. van Berlo to return as run-with player as Wright too small for Watson.

B: Johncock, Rutten, Shaw
HB: Reilly, Talia, Mackay
C: Sloane, van Berlo, Vince
HF: Wright, Jenkins, Porplyzia
F: McKernan, Walker, Callinan
R: Jacobs, Dangerfield, Thompson
I: Petrenko, Doughty, Douglas, Smith (sub)

Alright I'm going to get shot down for this but here goes:

OUT: McKernan, Symes, Luke Thompson, Petrenko
IN: Jacobs, Lyons, Shaw, Riley

Consider Petrenko's last four games:

vs North: 5 disposals, score 0.0
vs Richmond: 4 disposals, score 0.1
(Missed Port and GWS games due to injury)
vs West Coast: 8 disposals, score 0.0
vs Geelong: 9 disposals, score 0.0

I love Pets but that's just not good enough.

Callinan's recent stats don't make for pretty reading either (he hasn't even laid a tackle in his last 4 games).
Pets has been playing with a niggle and then playing a role - tagging a half back runner. Playing in the "death" position, and also tagging = low stats. Not that this should keep him from being dropped, but if he goes out, it would be for say Riley, who would also play that position.

Okay, I've got to ask...such as who? I'm prepared to forever refer to it as the 'Thommo51 breakout period' if you can name names.:D
Ok here goes :D. Players I reckon had a break out period towards the end of their second season on an AFL list last year:
Daniel Menzel
John Butcher
Jack Gunston
Sam Reid
Jason Tutt
Mitch Duncan
Ben Stratton
Gary Rohan
Allen Christensen
Dustin Martin
Christian Howard

Assuming Shaw is fit to play.. and Tippett isn't.
IN: Shaw
OUT: Symes
Vader L.Thompson can't survive based on that performance

Jacobs, Shaw have to come in
I'd still have Lyons in for Symes .......in case we have a midfielder go down we have to have some more games into Lyons as he's our only real backup

Beating wounded sides at home has never been an issue for the Adelaide Football Club.

Actually I think they'll be missing Ryder & Zaharakis from their best 22 this week. I think Hurley, Crameri, Pears, Hooker, and winderlich are all possible inclusions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes vs Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back