Changes vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Otten in for Hartigan, and either Lyons/Grigg for Wright.

Absolutely what I was going to suggest. :thumbsu:

I think Wright needs a spell. He hasn't been terrible or anything, but I think Lyons' work in close and Grigg's elite leg offer more at the present time. Grigg and Lyons to battle it out in the reserves for a spot if I was in charge. There's probably a 60% chance Wright keeps his spot though.

Hartigan has been VERY shaky in the last 3 games, especially in first quarters for whatever reason. In fact, I'd go as far to say that his last 3 first quarters have been absolutely shambolic! If Otten plays well on the weekend, he comes back in. That might be a big 'if' though because he's (Otten) been putrid for the last couple of games now. I guess Shaw is in the frame here too, but I'm just not a fan and wouldn't trust his disposal in the swirly environment that is the MCG.

Martin deserves to stay in after his performance last night. Was pleasantly surprising to see him show some poise in a few key moments.

Crouch stays in and is NOT the sub against Carlton.

It's hard to pick who we should give the vest to, but in all likelihood it will be Wright if he holds his spot, and if Wright does make way, either his replacement (Lyons / Grigg) or poor old Brodie will get the bib.

Just a note on Rutten - I think even he'd admit that he didn't have his best night last night and lost a few one on ones that he normally wouldn't. However, it was his first game back at the top level for a month or so, and I think his experience is invaluable down there. Definitely stays in ahead of Hartigan fo mine. I don't think we can get away with playing all 3 of Talia, Rutten and Hartigan against too many forward lines though. The lack of pace and creativity will inevitably become an issue.

Sando has a history of rewarding players with a performance like that and will most likely go in unchanged. I think this will be a mistake and tactical error.

Not sure we can have Rutten, Talia and Hartigan all play in the same side against the Blues. They dont have the big players to cause us this many problems. Talia will obviously play, so either Truck or Hartigan should go.

Im hoping Otten has a good SANFL game along with CEY as to put pressure on the selectors to make the necessary move.

Wright's place is in jeopardy.

Carlton have a very fast team.

I thought wright was poor last night. Lyons in for wright to okay that defensive forward role.

Sando has a history of rewarding players with a performance like that and will most likely go in unchanged. I think this will be a mistake and tactical error.

Not sure we can have Rutten, Talia and Hartigan all play in the same side against the Blues. They dont have the big players to cause us this many problems. Talia will obviously play, so either Truck or Hartigan should go.

Im hoping Otten has a good SANFL game along with CEY as to put pressure on the selectors to make the necessary move.

Wright's place is in jeopardy.

Carlton have a very fast team.

Your last sentences ..... Under that logic, they are not dropping Wright to bring in a slower player.

Your last sentences ..... Under that logic, they are not dropping Wright to bring in a slower player.

Look I think Wright may survive, given Sando's reluctance to change a winning combination. I do think he needs to replace Truck or Hartigan.

Truck looks old, looks slow, but in the heat of the battle last night had great poise. However, against a team like the Blues that lack big players his place has a question mark. Especially with Pods playing the swingman role very well last night in the 4th.

Pods played really well in defence last night in the last quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know people are infatuated with rewarding solid foot soldiers, your Shirley/Doughty/Reilly types, but the aim is to develop a premiership side.

It could well be that Wright ends up > than Lyons (maybe, maybe not) or Grigg (highly unlikely), and he's a decent player but he's no star.

We don't know what the other guys, particularly Lyons, may be capable of. We need to give him a crack, he's been busting down the door for a long time.

Very tough on Wright here. Had 2 goal assists in the 3rd quarter, shepherded Jaensch's goal through and would have shepherded another one through if not for an utter campaigner of a bounce. He was serviceable at worst.

I think people are just looking for some on to drop because it's no fun to come into this thread and say "unchanged".

I actually reckon Laird was our weakest link last night. I wouldn't drop him, but wouldn't be surprised to see him get the vest next week.

I actually reckon Laird was our weakest link last night. I wouldn't drop him, but wouldn't be surprised to see him get the vest next week.

Good point re Laird.

He's not getting scrutinised heavily cos we love him, but his composure with ball in hand has been lacking with some wild bombs forwards. On top of that, he clearly doesn't trust his leg beyond 30m.

If he's gonna be part of the mid rotations we need to measure him up against Wright, Grigg, Lyons, M Crouch and see if he deserves to stay in.

Don't get me wrong, I've been ultra impressed with the start to his career but he's not putting his spot beyond doubt atm.

We play our best game of the year?

No changes is the only logical choice.

If I was betting, Sando wont change the side. Doesnt mean its the best decision. Tactically I would like someone come on and replace Hartigan or Truck.

Blues have a very very quick team.

Wright's balance when he has the footy though, it's excellent. When he's in form and finding the ball I love what this bloke brings to the side. Make him the sub, manage his workload for a bit. I think it's just a flat patch.

Wright is a smart footballer, who is in a bit of a form slump.

I like giving smart footballers the benefit of the doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back