Changes vs Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

lol, nah.

Bonner has dropped off a fair bit from his first month though, I wouldn't melt too hard if he was dropped.
Dropped off!! Pfff Bonner and Trengove are the only one hitting targets coming out of defence. Both in the 90's for efficiency, Houston has butchered it over the past 2 weeks and would be nervous.

Nah, they really aren’t. If they were Bassett would have been happy with how we are going, but he said that it’s time to get out of the grind and start playing good football.

The way we are playing now goes against everything Hinkley has spoken about brave football. People don’t change philosophy on how they want to play.

What you’re seeing is the “you don’t defend, you don’t play” philosophy of 2013 when we ground out teams. It’s time the 2014 attacking philosophy added to that now.

Doing that against a weakened Ross Lyon side would be somehow very fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Houston is not a dasher from defence. He takes intercept marks and then directs the ball by foot to teammates in better position. Apart from the slow loopy kick that caught out Trengove he has been doing his job.

Opposition coaches know Bonner is a dashing rebounder and they sit closely on him. He's not being instructed not to rebound but when he gets caught with the ball early he goes back into his shell, understandable in a young player still gaining confidence at the highest level. He still needs more experience and body strength.

That's why Pittard is so important to our attacking defence and why Ken is looking closely at giving Lienert a chance - he's 195cm, has pace, a booming kick and a mature body. Seems the media paid attention to Ken's presser because Lienert is getting mentioned in reports as a selection option this week. Second best in the twos helped light up his case too.
One of the biggest issue I saw from Saturday was the unrewarded running from our Half Back Line, I lost count of how many time Trengove & Bonner were burnt by the midfielders. Especially Powell-Pepper who is developing a very bad habit of doing U turns and blazing a junk kick over his shoulder. This is probably also why the HB line stops running!!

I'm just watching the replay now and saw that passage of play 10 min ago. Crazy kick but very little obvious effort from Trengove to spoil which bothered me a bit more, because it has had me focus on a few more of Trengove's efforts since.
Don't blame Trengove, it was 100% the wrong option. He had Bonner 20m to the right (safe option) and Polec over the top. To casual for mine, should have gone-Bonner>Polec and we were out. Not sure what he was thinking!

Nah, they really aren’t. If they were Bassett would have been happy with how we are going, but he said that it’s time to get out of the grind and start playing good football.

The way we are playing now goes against everything Hinkley has spoken about brave football. People don’t change philosophy on how they want to play.

What you’re seeing is the “you don’t defend, you don’t play” philosophy of 2013 when we ground out teams. It’s time the 2014 attacking philosophy added to that now.

If you're correct happy to hold this card close to our chest for as long as we can before we reveal our hand completely

If you're correct happy to hold this card close to our chest for as long as we can before we reveal our hand completely
Somehow I don't think it would be possible to just go flick a switch and it works. Sounds nice but I cannot see that happening before or in finals this year.

That infamous switch... Haven't we been waiting for that to be flicked since round 2 2015? That all out "brave" attack is well and truly gone. Defence first and will be till we're gone. The way we are winning is quite similar to Richmond's year last year.. notching the wins in amongst 5-10 minutes of perfect football and never really putting sides away.

Shouldn’t need to hide it. It’s not like anyone would be able to go with us anyway. Look at Richmond - they do a system of defence first with a free wheeling nature and everyone wants to suck their dick. Now, I say that Richmond is the opposite to what we want to be - they are intuitive with their attack and intellectual with their defence. You can see by the way they setup their systems that Hardwick has basically given them the keys to do what they want offensively so long as they set up correctly defensively. This would feed into the child-like ethos of “see ball, get ball” that they seem to go with. When they move the ball forward it’s not with any real structured movement because it relies on constant fast scoring opportunities. That’s why I’d love to play them in a final - our defensive system is better than theirs and denies them the errors that they rely on to score...hence why their score against us was their lowest for the year.

What we are after is intuitive with defence and intellectual attack. Which takes more time to implement but is more dangerous because if your instinct is to defend no matter what part of the ground you are at, the ability to actually create a dynamic, fluid and evolving attacking system based on what the defence throws in front of you becomes unbeatable.

There is no switch. It’s time to actually start playing the way we want to play, and not this timid, fearful slow shit that is the result of players too afraid to be caught out of position if they make a mistake. Growth comes from the challenges we overcome, not by continually doing the same thing over and over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no switch. You can't just flick a switch and change the way you play. Same reason clubs that get a big number of stars back from long term injuries doesn't mean they will play well. You have to be integrated and settled into a routine. Making a drastic change in game style in a short period just won't happen.

No reason you can't make incremental changes though. We've got a few weeks to start doing that but it's a risk.

Shouldn’t need to hide it. It’s not like anyone would be able to go with us anyway. Look at Richmond - they do a system of defence first with a free wheeling nature and everyone wants to suck their dick. Now, I say that Richmond is the opposite to what we want to be - they are intuitive with their attack and intellectual with their defence. You can see by the way they setup their systems that Hardwick has basically given them the keys to do what they want offensively so long as they set up correctly defensively. This would feed into the child-like ethos of “see ball, get ball” that they seem to go with. When they move the ball forward it’s not with any real structured movement because it relies on constant fast scoring opportunities. That’s why I’d love to play them in a final - our defensive system is better than theirs and denies them the errors that they rely on to score...hence why their score against us was their lowest for the year.

What we are after is intuitive with defence and intellectual attack. Which takes more time to implement but is more dangerous because if your instinct is to defend no matter what part of the ground you are at, the ability to actually create a dynamic, fluid and evolving attacking system based on what the defence throws in front of you becomes unbeatable.

There is no switch. It’s time to actually start playing the way we want to play, and not this timid, fearful slow shit that is the result of players too afraid to be caught out of position if they make a mistake. Growth comes from the challenges we overcome, not by continually doing the same thing over and over.
Does this also include intellectual kicking for goal?

Houston has actually been in pretty decent form since the Hawthorn game, doesn't deserve the drop.

Whilst Bonner hasn't particularly starred since his early season form I actually thought he looked a bit better against the Saints. Wouldn't be against dropping him but I still think that the potential run-and-carry he gives to the side is invaluable, especially in Pittard's absence.

It would be bloody harsh to drop Trengove after all the hard work he's put in and the way he carries himself with such professionalism, reliability and composure, but comparing his assets to Lienert who has a booming kick, better pace, bit of run-and-carry and is 7cm taller, you could say that Lienert has a higher ceiling and is worth giving some game time.

I do think Hombsch should come in ahead of him to replace Jonas however, as Hombsch has been pretty damn solid this season and is a reliable and experienced leader and performer at AFL level. If Lienert was to come in, I'd look at Trengove or Bonner as an unforced change. Would be a harsh one though.

.... It would be bloody harsh to drop Trengove after all the hard work he's put in and the way he carries himself with such professionalism, reliability and composure .....
Trengove is nothing more than a nice story at present. Useful disposals in both games but nothing I saw that says he has to be kept in.

We're not that far off from taking a team apart. It's not so much flicking a switch - we have shown moments of scintillating ball movement. But it feels like so often we have failed to convert those opportunities. And missing simple shots at goal creates self doubt and encourages caution. It's so easy to psychologically take the wind out of your own sails.

We know we can do it, and when we convert a few early chances especially it will look like a switch has been flicked. But it will just be self belief feeding itself. On occasions we have had a run of goals and then just lost our mojo. But we know it's there.

You want to be playing your best football rolling into finals not in July. Keep our defensive brutality going and convert more chances and we could charge into finals like Richmond last year. And anything can happen from there.

Well actually Ford you are right about the self belief feeding itself. Have you seen how confident the Tigers are atm? They are so much better than last year not because of any magic coaching or training drill but because they have pulled off the biggest feat in football and that makes them the best and that now makes them more relaxed and still believing they are the best.

Houston has actually been in pretty decent form since the Hawthorn game, doesn't deserve the drop.

Whilst Bonner hasn't particularly starred since his early season form I actually thought he looked a bit better against the Saints. Wouldn't be against dropping him but I still think that the potential run-and-carry he gives to the side is invaluable, especially in Pittard's absence.

It would be bloody harsh to drop Trengove after all the hard work he's put in and the way he carries himself with such professionalism, reliability and composure, but comparing his assets to Lienert who has a booming kick, better pace, bit of run-and-carry and is 7cm taller, you could say that Lienert has a higher ceiling and is worth giving some game time.

I do think Hombsch should come in ahead of him to replace Jonas however, as Hombsch has been pretty damn solid this season and is a reliable and experienced leader and performer at AFL level. If Lienert was to come in, I'd look at Trengove or Bonner as an unforced change. Would be a harsh one though.
Yep, can’t imagine Lienert being first choice this week. We probably don’t need his height when Freo have limited good quality tall forwards and 90% chance of rain for the game on Sunday. Stick with the reliability of Hombsch and current small defenders.

I'd actually like to see Lienert given a go over Pittard. Pittard was in garbage form before the injury anyway. I don't think he should be an automatic inclusion even if fit. He wasn't even convincing in the SANFL when he Had a long stint there either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes vs Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back