Changes vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't reckon Port would want him? Callinan doesn't exactly get to dictate to the clubs whether he's willing to be selected by them either.

His age is not important when you're only required to give him a one year contract anyway, and a rookie pick is not exactly worth much. We'd be crazy to assume nobody else was going to pick him.

Edit: That said, there is the so-called "gentleman's agreement" between clubs not to poach other club's players in such a situation where the club has expressed a desire to take a rookie for a third season. Whether it would be honoured is another story.
Think the reason Port "stated" they didn't chase Leon Davis was because of his age and fact it didn't fit their rebuild

Hardly think then a 31 year old who definitely has only one more year will come into their thinking
He also at this age will be more injury prone with soft tissue injuries that we are already seeing not just this year but last year.

Our midseason nominated rookie promotion was McIntyre but like our pre-season nominated rookie promotion, Callinan, the promotion is only for the current season. So in other words, they are still only rookie listed players but are eligible for game selection.
My understanding was we went to 6 rookies with the upgrade options you highlighted just for the years GWS and GCS had their priority draft selections coming into the competition.

Now they have finished and we're back to some normality in drafting ......do we stay with the rookie rules of the last couple of years or revert back ???

IMHO

1) President - Dogga; His pre-season was awful but he was selected over Sam Shaw in round 1. Not surprisingly he played OK against Gold Coast and has played ever since. His season has been O.K. but nothing great. He has failed to score a single vote in the coaches award and rarely named in the best players for the Crows.

2) Vice- President - Stiffy; Started the pre-season looking for a contract with Jenny Craig (as usual). He was played throughout the MMC to help him gain match fitness. His form has slowly declined but it was never suggested that he would be dropped. Finally a back injury resulted in him missing a match and the combination of better performances by players that have come into the side (e.g. Brodie Martin) and his poor fitness has meant he is now playing SANFL.

3) Bernie Vince - He has played one good game in the real stuff this year, last week. Just check his votes in the AFL Coaches Award.

4) The Porpoise - He has struggled to adapt to the new game plan, his new role in the team and his wonky shoulder. (thank god we won't play Carlton again this year). He has shown glimpses in recent weeks but is no certainty to be a key player in September.

5) Knighta - A very average MMC (probably due to his injury affected pre-season). He has done very little as WWT (just speak to the WWT coaches) but at the first sight of reasonable form he was back in the Crows. He has yet to cement a place in the team.

Compare the pre-season of these guys to Lyons, Smith, Shaw, Lynch and Kerridge and tell me who deserved the first chance to establish a spot in the team. Some might also add Douglas and Reilly to the Gold Card Club but I would argue their pre-season and SANFL form (Douglas) has justified their selection. D-Mac has been a bit like Dogga, solid but not great. He has done the hard things well (e.g. tackling) and as a 23 year old, who has played 76 games he doesn't qualify for the GCC

I am not saying Sando's approach is unreasonable, he can see (and so can I) that if all the GGC players are able to play their best footy we will become a genuine premiership threat.

The alternative approach of playing Lyons, Lynch, Shaw and Smith (and more recently Brown and Riley) until their form demands they go back to the SANFL was a riskier approach.

We will know have productive the GCC has been once we reach September

Im unsure of when Coaches award votes became the benchmark for measuring a good game....?

Personally I think Doughty and Vince have done their job throughout the season. Sure, they have had a bad game or 2 each but so have Rutten, Tippett, Smith, Pets, Callinan etc.

Porps was always going to take time. Barlow had a massive injury which has seen his averages drop too, it takes time to recover from a year out.

Knights has hardly played in the crows side all year, irrelevant.

Stiffy is the classic case of how a list is turned over. He wasnt fit, wasnt performing to the level the coaches wanted, they tried to move him, tried to play him a sub, and then he was forced out by injury. For all we know this injury was hampering him for several weeks before he was pushed out. We dont know. We also dont know if it was never suggested he should be dropped because we are not in the selection meetings. I prefer to see new players come into the side through injury to others or dropping players because form suggests its the right thing to do, not dropping someone on the assumption they wont be around for the next flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back