Preview Changes vs. Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

No, pods is going ok at the expense of a better structure and the performances of tex, jj and lynch. Quite a few of you are blinded by viewing him in isolation as opposed to how the forward line system is working. 7 shots from our 3 prong tall attack is a very skinny return. Our fwd line can be a lot better both offensively and defensively by removing pods.
Blaming Podsiadly for the form of Walker and to a lesser extent Jenkins is, well, to put it kindly, grasping.

Maybe our forward structure could work really well with 2 genuine talls and lynch as a medium. We're married to it because of pods, if he's injured it will be straight out the window. He was basically passable again today. But that's about all we get from him.

Passable???? He was our best key forward by a mile today; 19 disposals, 11 marks and 3 goals 1 behind. That is more than passable, it is about time people took their blinkers off and stopped presenting the same old escape goats. Like it or not Pods is working and is important to our structures.

I think selectors gave a fairly clear picture of our best 22 last week. Only changes will be for injuries with the likes of Crouch, L Thompson,Hartigan and Porps/Lyons on standby for S Thompson, Rutten, Talia and Dangerfield.

Otten maybe the match up for Roughy as he plays up and down the ground in a similar way to Westhoff.

Brown to lock down on Bruest.

Maybe our forward structure could work really well with 2 genuine talls and lynch as a medium. We're married to it because of pods, if he's injured it will be straight out the window. He was basically passable again today. But that's about all we get from him.

What happens if Jacobs goes down? Jenkins goes in to the ruck and we lose that 2 tall structure.
I think Hawthorn have obvious holes in their mids after watching last night's game, with Sewell out and possibly Hill our mids should dominate depending on our injuries. And our forward line should be better than their defence.

Key players for them(discounting forwards):

Hodge
Smith
Mitchell
Birchall

Lock down on Birch and Smith I think, then they should really struggle.

Add in Burgoyne, he has been sublime foe them this year

I think what I question with pods is the long term vision in using him as we are.

We should be building our forward line for the future and giving them as much time as possible to gel. Playing pods is a short term solution that is only going to delay the cohesion needed to be a potent forward line.

Noone questions his output, but we need to be thinking bigger picture.

Fwd set up works ok? Pods and tex kicked 3 between them against gws. Our fwd set up is not working, we're sacrificing Tex's space so a 31yo delistee with no future can get a game. Who was our 3rd tall when we were a kick away from a gf in 2012? I'm not completely against 3 talls, but the quality needs to be there and they need to be well-drilled by a good fwd coach. As soon as they clutter each other's space they bring their opponent to the contest and it's easy to kill.

You may say it's working well, I'd say it would work better with a fit and developing Cameron or running with another midfielder such as m crouch. Would certainly be setting us up better for 2015. And let's not forget that pods avges about 2 possessions more this year than smack last year. He's hardly a dominant force and has as much licence as smack to collect stats throughout midfield or defence.

We dabble with the third tall at times in 2012, but Porps was our legit third tall. Plus you didn't need a third tall when you have a bloke like Tippett in the goal square

I think what I question with pods is the long term vision in using him as we are.

We should be building our forward line for the future and giving them as much time as possible to gel. Playing pods is a short term solution that is only going to delay the cohesion needed to be a potent forward line.

JPod is not exactly keeping out a young KPP forward so I'm happy for the club to take a now approach with our talls

What young key forwards do we have to replace him though? As we seem content to play the 3 talls and Lynch, so with no one pushing up we are playing our young forward line in Jenkins, Walker and Lynch.

What young key forwards do we have to replace him though? As we seem content to play the 3 talls and Lynch, so with no one pushing up we are playing our young forward line in Jenkins, Walker and Lynch.

Exactly, He was brought into the side to add some experience while we find a replacement. Its clear we have given ourselves two years to do it. I have no problem with him playing. He has been one of our better players.

this is the answer. has been kicking goals galore in the 2s.

4427942-3x2-940x627.jpg
If that is the answer, it must be one hell of a question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fwd set up works ok? Pods and tex kicked 3 between them against gws. Our fwd set up is not working, we're sacrificing Tex's space so a 31yo delistee with no future can get a game. Who was our 3rd tall when we were a kick away from a gf in 2012? I'm not completely against 3 talls, but the quality needs to be there and they need to be well-drilled by a good fwd coach. As soon as they clutter each other's space they bring their opponent to the contest and it's easy to kill.

You may say it's working well, I'd say it would work better with a fit and developing Cameron or running with another midfielder such as m crouch. Would certainly be setting us up better for 2015. And let's not forget that pods avges about 2 possessions more this year than smack last year. He's hardly a dominant force and has as much licence as smack to collect stats throughout midfield or defence.

Blaming tex's lack of form on Pods being in the side is stupid

Thompson was a knock to the leg, not a pulled hammy so that gives me some hope. Dangerfield and Talia are both risks as well after copping knocks. Fortunately they both played out the game. Crow's have a ridiculously good success rate with managing knocks and corkies so I'd hope all are good to play.

Clubs have been fairly cautious with concussions this year so i'll be interested to see if they bring Rutten back in. Especially given that he doesn't necessarily have a perfect opponent at Hawks.

Reilly was out with "soreness" so i'd imagine he'd be straight back in. Laird was fairly average yesterday.

Changes:

IN: L Thompson / Reilly
OUT: Rutten / Laird

Thompson was a knock to the leg, not a pulled hammy so that gives me some hope. Dangerfield and Talia are both risks as well after copping knocks. Fortunately they both played out the game. Crow's have a ridiculously good success rate with managing knocks and corkies so I'd hope all are good to play.

Clubs have been fairly cautious with concussions this year so i'll be interested to see if they bring Rutten back in. Especially given that he doesn't necessarily have a perfect opponent at Hawks.

Reilly was out with "soreness" so i'd imagine he'd be straight back in. Laird was fairly average yesterday.

Changes:

Agree this is what they'll probably do. If they're consistent with concussions Rutten won't play this week

Agree this is what they'll probably do. If they're consistent with concussions Rutten won't play this week
Given we have 2 decent replacements we should not be talong any risks with truck.

Changes:

Laird's first game back. Doubt we will be dropping him - let alone for Reilly.

Blaming Podsiadly for the form of Walker and to a lesser extent Jenkins is, well, to put it kindly, grasping.

One of these three guys, on Friday night, just needs to roam down to defence and provide Jack CU*Tston with a gentle reminder that he is back in Adelaide... I'm not saying go outside the rules......Well, at least not when the umpire is looking....

Jack didn't like the person he become in Adelaide - so let's just continue with that self-imposed theme and make him absolutely regret the person he is on Friday night....

And to all the fans there - get involved. I'm not saying throw things at him and swear at him and make him generally feel like he won't get off the ground alive..... I'm not saying that at all..........

the bigger picture is that we want to go with 3 big forwards (i do like this decision) + Lynch and we don't rate any other option outside of Pods.

Expect us to bring in someone at the end of this season who could play third tall, either via draft or trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes vs. Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back