List Mgmt. Changes vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Out: night games.

I just did a very quick scan and found that we’ve lost roughly 50% of the night games we have played since the beginning of 2018

In: Gov, Cameron
Out: Rotham, Petch

Rotham will take Hurns spot eventually but Hurn has the runs on the board to get a few more cracks. Barrass and scho to play lockdown and Gov to roam. Being in the day means it should be easier to mark etc

Petch not good enough, Cameron needs to come in to crumb. Ah Chee keeps his spot due to a decent second half but is on the block for waterman.

JK and JD will be fine. For now

Sorry, have you watched the last two games? It's very much like he suddenly can't football.
Players have patches of poor form. Nobody is used to Hurn playing poorly such is his consistency but I am willing to give him some leeway. His ball use is still probably the best we have.

He will be better. Can't imagine him being dropped.

Redden and Sheed are not out of the question of being dropped except for the lack of depth coming through to take their spots.

In: Williams, Jones, Gov (if fit)
Out: Redden, Petruccelle, Schofield (unlucky)

B: Sheppard, Barrass, Hurn
HB: Jetta, Gov (or Schofield), Duggan
C: Gaff, Shuey, Brander
HF: Cripps, Darling, Sheed
F: Ryan, Kennedy, Allen
R: Naitanui, Kelly, Yeo
I: Rotham, Ah Chee, Williams, Jones
E: Redden, Waterman, Cole, Schofield (or Nelson)

Gov straight swap for Schoey unless his ankle keeps him out another week. Rotham holds his spot.

Redden out for Jones. We’re carrying one extra midfielder than usual and it’s Redden and he’s lost. Jones in to provide the sort of manic forward pressure that the best performing sides are displaying.

Williams in to back up NicNat, Allen to play permanent forward, Petch dropped. Allen against the bigger rucks isn’t going to work, it didn’t work against Smith/OMac and it won’t work against Lycett/Dixon. It makes us too tall up forward but oh well.

I’m assuming Cameron needs another week of match fitness.

Players have patches of poor form. Nobody is used to Hurn playing poorly such is his consistency but I am willing to give him some leeway. His ball use is still probably the best we have.

He will be better. Can't imagine him being dropped.

Redden and Sheed are not out of the question of being dropped except for the lack of depth coming through to take their spots.
I don't think he'll be dropped either but the way he's playing he deserves to be. Our lack of depth at most positions is seriously concerning

B Sheppard Barrass Hurn
HB Duggan Schofield Yeo
C Kelly Redden Jetta
HF Ryan Darling Waterman
FF Ah Chee Allen Cripps
R NicNat Shuey Gaff

Bench: Sheed, B.Williams, Rotham and Brander

IN: Waterman, Williams
Out: Kennedy, Petch

Kennedy to be managed or respectfully dropped, looked like it was all on another lever compared to one he was playing at.

That frees up a spot for a second ruckmen who can be theoritcally, a effective foward in Willams.

Waterman for that human who masquerades as a footballer.

I’d like to see the dynamic changed a bit. Get Kelly in space to better utilize his uncontested skill. Have Jetta a kick ahead of play so we have more precise skill in foward entires.

My glass-half-full side says we're a chance of looking like a decent team on Saturday given that it will be a day game on what's looking like being a fine day. Hurn will be one who benefits, as I feel like the slippery conditions have affected him more than most. Hopefully JD manages to cling onto a few as well.

Not that I love our chances vs Port. I actually thought Freo played pretty well other than the 2nd quarter when it was bucketing down, but Port even better.
I don't envisage too many changes though. It wouldn't be my preference anyway, despite how many underperformers we've had.

I think the key issues for now are:

1. Not the right structure/match-ups for humid, greasy northern conditions. At our best we're using the ball well by foot and dominating the aerial battle... in these sorts of conditions though I think we need to prioritise grunt and pace to finesse and height. This doesn't mean dropping guys like Brander, more just re-calibrating the make-up of the 22 to give them a fighting chance in the conditions as they are. I mean there's a reason that Brisbane's "Mosquito fleet" does well in these slippery conditions.

2. Give players a chance in their actual positions - I really am not a fan of Redden on the wing at all because he's slow and pretty mediocre by foot. You can look past 1 but not both deficiencies. Ozzy Allen looks terrific up forward but terribly out-sized in the ruck, it's not his fault either. A number of you have mentioned that Bailey Williams needs to come in and I agree.

3. Give opportunities to some different players (Brayshaw, JJ etc.) and give a spell to the ones that haven't made anything of theirs' in 2020 (Ah Chee, Petch). Its become pretty clear that we aren't going to produce our best footy while in the hubs, so I think its beneficial to give a chance to some of these dudes that performed consistently well in the WAFL (like Brayshaw) and see what they put up.

Just my thoughts gents! Let's hope we put in a solid effort against Port :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was the worst game I've seen Yeo play for the club, he needs a rocket! Sheed wasn't far behind.
The mids need to lift their workrate and we'll be fine. Obviously the hub isn't working well for us and who knows if the season will continue given the Bombers coved drama, but those mids mentioned need to work a lot bloody harder.

Out: night games.

I just did a very quick scan and found that we’ve lost roughly 50% of the night games we have played since the beginning of 2018

2018 we really were kissed on the proverbial. Coming off an average 2017 (and expected to slide), combined with the transport links not ready at the new stadium meant that most home games were daytime.

We need to do a reverse Carlton and request all non-primetime slots ;)

Simpson isn't dropping any senior players. He should, but he won't.

He should also be giving these boys a serious rocket after the way they have performed over the past 2 weeks but i would wager he wont do that either.

Simpson isn't dropping any senior players. He should, but he won't.

He should also be giving these boys a serious rocket after the way they have performed over the past 2 weeks but i would wager he wont do that either.
I dont think they could have tried harder against the Bears. Smarter perhaps but most were exposed for pace and class against top 5 draft picks

JK needs to be dropped. A while back I posted some of JK's stats from 2019 that showed his couple good games masked what was an otherwise abysmal season. 2020 is on track to be exactly the same.

Petch shouldn't be played as a forward. It doesn't suit his speed, which would be better utilised on a wing.

Out: JK, Petch, Rotham
In: Williams, Cameron/JJ, McGovern

Last edited:
It has been discussed on forums such as this where simpletons such as yourself think they know it all.
Try listening for a change. I don’t care whether Simpson stays as coach or not I just want a competitive side and not a head coach whingeing every time he fronts the media about having to stay in a five star resort on the Gold Coast.

And for the record, I would back my IQ against yours any day of the week.

“Simpson was almost sacked in 2017”. Despite being contracted until the end of 2019 at the time, having taken the club to a grand final two years prior and to finals in all but his first season.

Yeah, nah.

Try listening for a change. I don’t care whether Simpson stays as coach or not I just want a competitive side and not a head coach whingeing every time he fronts the media about having to stay in a five star resort on the Gold Coast.

I can gauge your level of intelligence just by reading your posts champ.

Trust me, you haven't got any rockets in your backyard.

I can gauge your level of intelligence just by reading your posts champ.

Trust me, you haven't got any rockets in your backyard.

A video for you geniuses to mull over

Report from scrimmage against Brisbane.

- Separately Gov has strained tendons in his ankle, touch and go for this week
- Cameron player 2/3 periods in the scrimmage, sat the last portion out on managed minutes, probably suggests he is still a couple of weeks away.
- Talking up Brayshaw and Xon. Apparently they had good games.

https://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/719954/youngsters-push-for-selection

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Changes vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Back