List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Because someone asked me about him?

I wouldnt pay a 4th rounder for dev. I'd swap 4th rounders maybe, swap of f4s would be better.
We lack inside mids, our depth guys we have are no good.
Worst case Dev can't do it and he costs us next to nothing, best case he's a best 22 player for 8+ years.
Highly unlikely to be worse or even the same level as Trew.

Hes coming over from a strong club, and is a new face that will be motivated to become a regular player.
I know it was brought up between Trew and Dev and you were just replying.

Just think we need to move on from picking up players who aren't getting regular games and thinking they will improve us.
And then comparing them with our spuds.

JJ and Witherden are getting regular games, but that's only because we're so poor.

Are they really taking us anywhere?

Good question. You’d hope out side of the soft cap for coaches.
That would be my hope.

We have 80 million in the bank, and instead of just gaining interest I would be investing a % of this to go all in.

Remember this is NGA so indigenous and players outside normal AFL development pathways.

It isn't a free hit at all the kids in the state like the Northern academies.
What is considered outside of normal AFL dev pathways?

I know it was brought up between Trew and Dev and you were just replying.

Just think we need to move on from picking up players who aren't getting regular games and thinking they will improve us.
And then comparing them with our spuds.

JJ and Witherden are getting regular games, but that's only because we're so poor.

Are they really taking us anywhere?
We need some of those sorts of players still. They just need to be in the right roles and we need ones who will actually try.

JJ was always a spud, but Witherden has been solid when he tries.
Most of the ones on our list right now aren't motivated due to a variety of reasons, we can't afford to have mediocre guys who don't try.

A new player wanting to save their career will try, his mentality won't be shit as a fresh recruit.

Those cheap guys will fill roles until we get kids ready to replace them.

Chess looks good running through the middle of the ground with chains/link up. Could see him settling in a HBF/inside mid role. He’s been sent to the wing as a result of his athletic profile and his lowish footy IQ has been ignored. Him and Rueben could rotate through this role for the rest of the season, never going to be a better time to do it.

Put him where the ball is, not where it isn’t and we’ll find out if we have a player or not.
Man I hope we can get a wingman like the old gaff or Macrae who can rack up 30 possessions from a wing

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I bloody hope not.
We dodged a bullet missing him last year.

He will be a whiipping boy if he comes.
He will be and 2 years of this forum hasn’t helped. He will give effort and if his ceiling is like fellow ex Lion and whipping boy Keays, you take it. Worst case I think he will play for the jumper (not because if the blood link but because that’s the type of player he is, which a lot currently don’t.

Ideally he doesn’t because we land a couple of the other similar types with more upside but he will be the cheapest if the lot imo and another great money ball add (if we miss Carroll, Garcia, Sheldrick ect ect)

if we get english our ruck problem is solved and we can offload williams for a late 2nd rounder early 3rd rounder. English will cost us 0 picks and offloading bw will generate more picks. We need to genrate as many picks asap im aginast trading waterman but barrass is something I could live with.

That would be my hope.

We have 80 million in the bank, and instead of just gaining interest I would be investing a % of this to go all in.

What is considered outside of normal AFL dev pathways?

Overseas kids that have moved here. Kids from a multicultural background.

Kako I think is his name is from Iraq. But has been playing footy for ages through normal pathways. Even said he would be playing even if not signed with Essendon. And he is eligible.

It's wishy washy. Typical AFL set up with lots of loopholes to exploit.

But a John Smith born and bred Australian kid with no multicultural background likely is not eligible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Overseas kids that have moved here. Kids from a multicultural background.

Kako I think is his name is from Iraq. But has been playing footy for ages through normal pathways. Even said he would be playing even if not signed with Essendon. And he is eligible.

It's wishy washy. Typical AFL set up with lots of loopholes to exploit.

But a John Smith born and bred Australian kid with no multicultural background likely is not eligible.
Or James Borlase (Crows) whose dad played 200+ games of SANFL but because James was born overseas qualified.

Why are we still talking about Robertson?

Haven't we learnt from Zac Langdon, SPS, Jermaine Jones etc?
Even using 3rd or 4th rounders on these players when you know what they bring to the table is pointless IMO.
I mean, he did play in a grand final less than a year ago. Fringe player at Brisbane, sure, but better than Trew, LEdwards and plenty others. A fringe player at a runner-up isn't the same as a fringe player elsewhere.

Remember this is NGA so indigenous and players outside normal AFL development pathways.

It isn't a free hit at all the kids in the state like the Northern academies.
Yes, I'm aware.

Pretty easy to get a bunch of indigenous boys and internationals into the program if done correctly though.

The talk of English for 1m a year was horrible, if we could get him for less than it's a no brainer really. We need a ruckman and we know how good he can be.

I mean, he did play in a grand final less than a year ago. Fringe player at Brisbane, sure, but better than Trew, LEdwards and plenty others. A fringe player at a runner-up isn't the same as a fringe player elsewhere.
The point I'm trying to make is, I don't think I've seen anything that makes me think he's going to end up being a good footballer, so why bother.

I don't think playing in a GF makes you a good player.
Steven Armstrong played in a winning GF and kicked a crucial goal for us.

Sure, he's better than some of the players we have now.
But not sure if that's the reason to go and get him.

The point I'm trying to make is, I don't think I've seen anything that makes me think he's going to end up being a good footballer, so why bother.

He would cost next to nothing. If he's nothing more than a replacement for Trew or LEdwards then a swap of f4 picks or something is acceptable.

He will get games and he will be better than a few of our spuds.

If he costs you nothing and is better than someone on your list, you get him. We need to turn over a large number on our list, we only get two high draft picks a year, so a few low cost trades are needed alongside free agents. He's better than Trew and LEdwards. If he's not much better than them, you trade him out for someone better in a couple of years.

If he costs you nothing and is better than someone on your list, you get him. We need to turn over a large number on our list, we only get two high draft picks a year, so a few low cost trades are needed alongside free agents. He's better than Trew and LEdwards. If he's not much better than them, you trade him out for someone better in a couple of years.
He's better than LEdwards and Trew is not a good reason to get him.
IMO, that's just replacing spuds with spuds.

I'd rather take a punt on a kid and hope we get a Noah Long.

Agree to disagree.

He's better than LEdwards and Trew is not a good reason to get him.
IMO, that's just replacing spuds with spuds.

I'd rather take a punt on a kid and hope we get a Noah Long.

Agree to disagree.
Dev costs next to nothing and means we can replace an extra spud with someone who might not be a spud. He can play a role from day 1.

Or would you rather take an extra guy at pick 70 odd as the last pick in the draft who will 95% never contribute anything at all to the main squad and be desisted in 2 years time? Or keep JJ for an extra year?

I'd rather Dev tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back