List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not enough.

We need to cripple them for the next decade.

That was one of Wells’ expressed aims when doing the Kelly trade.
I see what you’re saying.

Waterman for a 1st, a 2nd, a 3rd & a F1st….

With the customary 3rd of ours going back the other way of course.

& Lawson Humphries you slimy f$&ks.

Bag of 🍆 eaters.

I think keeping Barrass and trading waterman is the better play... As long as we can get similar value picks.

We don't have the depth in defence to let a gun back out of the door... Unless we get a back in via trade somehow
Barrass is an awesome player but he's not going to be around when we're competing again.
Also with his back injury who knows if he'll last his current contract
Sure waterman is playing forward where we've got a few talls but most of them are unproven
Barrass with probably get us more/better picks too

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

IMO start playing him down back, I think he could be an elite defender. I don't see him becoming an elite forward.

So people know both Jamieson and Hewett's injury issues are very bad. Career threatening bad. I wouldn't be counting on either of them until we actually see a sustained run on the field.
What's the go with Hewett's? Its not just a case of doing the same surgery on this new foot injury that he did on the other foot

What a disaster the 2022 draft would be if Hewett never really gets on the park. Finish second last, only end up with Ginbey from our draft hand & also the extra 2R from Port

Get a grip Shueymum.

He’s had his Tom McDonald 2018 season and he’s already back to being regular Jake Waterman again…
He scores 3 goals on the weekend!

I get trading TB ad he's getting old, but with Waterman and Allen our KPF are set for the next 7 years. They're key blocks for the next flag push.

Waterman also showed similar form early last year before getting sick. He's no flash in the pan.

What's the go with Hewett's? Its not just a case of doing the same surgery on this new foot injury that he did on the other foot

What a disaster the 2022 draft would be if Hewett never really gets on the park. Finish second last, only end up with Ginbey from our draft hand & also the extra 2R from Port
I'm not writing off Barnett. Talls take a long time to come good. Look at J Williams and B Williams, didn't show much until their 3rd season. J Waterman didn't show much until mid 20s. We've got plenty of list cloggers to cull before we get to Barnett.

I’d be interested to know how many of those games Waterman missed due to injury, and how many were because he was dropped. I’d hazard a guess that a high amount of them were due to the latter.

Oscar has, as you’ve shown, had good availability in all but 2 seasons with us (2018 I'm not counting as he wasn’t locked in our best 22 at that stage), but recency bias has people concerned, given his lack of games in 2022 and 2024.
Wafl career games played total.

Allen 16
Waterman 27

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Games missed due to injury

Waterman
2017: 16 (foot fracture)
2018: 0
2019: 2 (hamstring)
2020: 4 (broken hand)
2021: 2 (back)
2022: 2 (Covid protocols, knee)
2023: 11 (illness)
2024: 3 (concussion, shoulder, iliotibial band)

Allen
2018: 5 (shin)
2019: 2 (ankle, knee soreness)
2020: 2 (knee, hip)
2021: 1 (concussion)
2022: Season (foot)
2023: 0
2024: 12 (knee)

disaster? only with simple thinking.

don't trade the pick, pick up sheezel, north finish below us - no Reid.

Hewett doesn't work out, finish lower on ladder - compensated with higher pick number (and possible afl help).

our drafting has been crap though. recruitment can feel hard done by all they like. drafting Ainsworth should have been a red flag on where their head was at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

disaster? only with simple thinking.

don't trade the pick, pick up sheezel, north finish below us - no Reid.

Hewett doesn't work out, finish lower on ladder - compensated with higher pick number (and possible afl help).

our drafting has been crap though. recruitment can feel hard done by all they like. drafting Ainsworth should have been a red flag on where their head was at.
Can't evaluate a draft based on where we finished the year after, and who we got in the next draft. Completely seperate.

If anything the fact we were still spooners the year after doesnt help your arguement.

At this point its looking like Sheezel is on his way to being a superstar. Although its probably still too early, the draft doesnt look good for us.
Alot will depend on how Hewitt goes in the next few years.

Can't evaluate a draft based on where we finished the year after, and who we got in the next draft. Completely seperate.

If anything the fact we were still spooners the year after doesnt help your arguement.

At this point its looking like Sheezel is on his way to being a superstar. Although its probably still too early, the draft doesnt look good for us.
Alot will depend on how Hewitt goes in the next few years.

no, but if you draft poorly, you will finish lower. you can't be upset at ginbey trade and be happy with Reid at same time. I 100% believe the two are linked. without sheezel, north would have finished dead last and claimed Reid.

I honestly have no issues with both Barrass and Waterman leaving.

As long we get what is owed then it helps us along the rebuild.

It also really adds to amount of cash we can use to bully RFA/UFA 2025/2026 front loaded and even peaking players interest and closing trades like Warner, Curtin, Garcia, Sheldrick, Walters, Jones, Collard, Tholstrup, Hardeman and Adams.
Jake is of the age bracket we are severely lacking. Especially when he is playing in a team that isnt performing on par with the opposition.
He's easily top 5 in the league in contested marking ability and his ceiling is still unknown

Barrass is a good player, but not in the top echelon of key defenders. He takes a lot of contested marks, but that’s because he tries to mark the ball too often instead of spoiling. We can live without him, and I think any more than Hawthorn’s first is a bonus.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The time is right to trade TB

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

29, definitely won't be around next time we're contending and still clearly has enormous value. It's a no brainer

Waterman I'm much more 50/50 on. He's young enough that he could be around for quite a while yet. Unless the offer is too good to refuse I'd keep

Ryan is the other one that would have value that I'd look to move on, even though he's probably my favourite player to watch.

I think a forward line of Allen, waterman and JWilliams will work quite well next year. All have pretty different style of forward craft and compliment each other.

I’d keep waterman and then if AReid comes along next year and is destroying wafl and demanding games, that’s when we look at selling high or reshuffling.

Draft combine invites released

From a total of 65, 10 are from WA including Champion

Interesting that Adelaide F/S, Tyler Welsh, didn’t get enough nominations to earn a national combine invite so will only be at the SA combine

The WA nominees

Bo Allan (Peel Thunder)
Cody Angove (Claremont)
Jaxon Artemis (South Fremantle)
Malakai Champion (Subiaco)
Hamish Davis (Claremont)
Clancy Dennis (Claremont)
Kayle Gerreyn (West Perth)
Will Hayes (Claremont)
Aiden Riddle (Claremont)
Luke Urquhart (East Fremantle)

Status