List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with your argument is that Richmond will probably be trading draft points for Brisbane's first and I suspect that will include an agreement to not bid on Levi.
Right state - wrong club. Suns have the hand to trade for not Lions solitary R1 which looks more like it will be very close to, if not 18, and a couple of late picks.

Lions current hand - pick 17 55 and 66. Total points of 1,312 which is equal to a bid at 7 and they have Ashcroft and Marshall to get off. It will likely mean a sale of their F1 as that will likely be valued at pick 18. I expect the Suns will be the ones bidding on that one. With only a 10% discount, Lions could need 2,700 points for Ashcroft and 500-600 points for Marshall (assume mid to late R2 bid).

Suns current hand - picks 6 11 20 26 37 47 and 73. Total points of 5,529. They only need to match a bid for Lombard (I expect closer to 10) and can well afford to use no other picks in the draft (obviously they will need to take 3 selections). That said, they will want future picks for a stronger 2025 NGA group. They go and deal directly with the Lions and use those picks.

The Lions could deal directly with the Suns - Lions F1 (value at trade table = pick 18) for the Norf priority pick (currently 20). There could be a little sweetener. That would give them 912 points. Alternatively, the Suns trade picks 26 37 and 47 to the Lions (1,528) for their F1 and 55 and 66. That is a big gain for Lions getting an additional 256 points or a premium of 20%. They could then sell off 18 and make a profit.

If that was to occur, the Suns hand is 6 11 26 55 and 66 with a F1 banked, They then do a deal with Tigers for Rioli and picks plus salary wear and Tigers carrying a bunch of the picks 39 41 54 57 63 and 68 to the draft (Suns will not have the list spots) and do the second part to the trade on draft night.

The Tigers could potentially aim for all 3 x R1 picks of the Suns and end up with 7 or 8 picks inside the first 26. And this is a great year to do it.

As I said, right trading partner state but wrong club. Come November, I expect 2025 picks to be severely discounted.

The Tigers could not have landed on a better year to fill their boots.

Jack Off, Wes Walley - what is wrong with the parents of these kids?

We cant have Ough anyway; we already have Hough... My Dad will be too confused

Steely and Koltyn from the most recent draft. Sound like the kids guaranteed to be diagnosed with ADHD in year 2.

Yeah I think Norf themselves wanted to dine out on having pick 1 though, and the perception that they got their second option at pick 1 would have dented that.
Norf have always been somewhat deluded. Everyone knew that Daicos was the best player in the draft by a country mile. It was like Norf had a really nice date to take to the prom but it wasn't Margot Robbie and so why enter your date into the Prom Queen competition.

Yeah I think Norf themselves wanted to dine out on having pick 1 though, and the perception that they got their second option at pick 1 would have dented that.
Bang on. Pure marketing exercise to sell something to the fan.

Bang on. Pure marketing exercise to sell something to the fan.
Or stated slightly differently. In getting the wooden spoon, you have access to the best second best player in the draft. All the members knew. The poor old tin rattlers from Arden Street do this to themselves time and time again. It is like Hungry Jacks saying they are bigger than McDonalds or Pepsi saying they are better that Coke.

Right state - wrong club. Suns have the hand to trade for not Lions solitary R1 which looks more like it will be very close to, if not 18, and a couple of late picks.

Lions current hand - pick 17 55 and 66. Total points of 1,312 which is equal to a bid at 7 and they have Ashcroft and Marshall to get off. It will likely mean a sale of their F1 as that will likely be valued at pick 18. I expect the Suns will be the ones bidding on that one. With only a 10% discount, Lions could need 2,700 points for Ashcroft and 500-600 points for Marshall (assume mid to late R2 bid).

Suns current hand - picks 6 11 20 26 37 47 and 73. Total points of 5,529. They only need to match a bid for Lombard (I expect closer to 10) and can well afford to use no other picks in the draft (obviously they will need to take 3 selections). That said, they will want future picks for a stronger 2025 NGA group. They go and deal directly with the Lions and use those picks.

The Lions could deal directly with the Suns - Lions F1 (value at trade table = pick 18) for the Norf priority pick (currently 20). There could be a little sweetener. That would give them 912 points. Alternatively, the Suns trade picks 26 37 and 47 to the Lions (1,528) for their F1 and 55 and 66. That is a big gain for Lions getting an additional 256 points or a premium of 20%. They could then sell off 18 and make a profit.

If that was to occur, the Suns hand is 6 11 26 55 and 66 with a F1 banked, They then do a deal with Tigers for Rioli and picks plus salary wear and Tigers carrying a bunch of the picks 39 41 54 57 63 and 68 to the draft (Suns will not have the list spots) and do the second part to the trade on draft night.

The Tigers could potentially aim for all 3 x R1 picks of the Suns and end up with 7 or 8 picks inside the first 26. And this is a great year to do it.

As I said, right trading partner state but wrong club. Come November, I expect 2025 picks to be severely discounted.

The Tigers could not have landed on a better year to fill their boots.
If GC were smart they would trade up to get in front of a Lombard bid .

GC Lukosious + 11 to Adelaide for pick 4

GC Pick 6 and 20 for Rioli + salary + late picks for matching lombard

Steely and Koltyn from the most recent draft. Sound like the kids guaranteed to be diagnosed with ADHD in year 2.
Especially when the name 'Steely Green' comes from a book and is the name of the protagonists dildo...

Another parent who should be arrested.

I think for JD it all comes down to effort, at times he looks like he's running through the motions.

Friday he brought real intensity to each part of his game. Loved it, and that's the effort you expect from a guy with his calibre.
I remember in the first half of the 2018 GF the commentators were saying Darling looked heavy legged, like he was running but getting nowhere.

Lucky he had a big 3rd qtr

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

No offence to HEdwards, but prior to this year he's been a bit of an inconsistent injury-prone baby giraffe. The few games he's played this year he's appeared far more settled, but I think it's unfair to pin his lack of games at AFL level on Simpson when he's competing with McGovern and Barrass for a position.

Also looking for more opportunities on the back of his form prior to this year seems a bit much, doubt he would've got a game at another club with the patchy form he was supplying to us.
I agree with just about all of this, except for the form part, it’s extremely difficult for any player to display good form in a team that gets so regularly demolished in the WAFL, good or very good players can be made to look poor or very poor in that sort of environment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If GC were smart they would trade up to get in front of a Lombard bid .

GC Lukosious + 11 to Adelaide for pick 4

GC Pick 6 and 20 for Rioli + salary + late picks for matching lombard
Actually if Gold Coast were smart, they would bring in top line players that could make a difference.

D Rioli is supposedly a priority and that is a start. I actually think the last thing they need is a bunch of new draftees. They had a heap last year and will get a bunch more top end talent in the next 2 drafts.

Who else is on the market?

They should put their hand up for Tom Barrass and offer 6 and 26 if we pay a big chuck of his salary. They would still have the 11 and 20 to trade with Richmond for Rioli (with % of salary paid by Tigers). That would leave them about enough points for Lombard.

The Suns need to use their picks not continue to bank them forward. For a decade, the Suns continue to bank picks and accumulate young talent. Time to change tact and make finals. Rioli and Barrass would help a lot more in 2025 than picks 6 11 20 and 26.

BTW - I am not advocating Tom would want to go there, only that the Suns should be looking to lure talent up north like Brisbane did with Dunkly and Neal

Every Norf fan I know is still bitching that they technically haven't had a #1 pick despite sitting bottom for so long.

Something about the big bad AFL conspiring against them.

Some people seem to be tying themselves in knots wanting to keep Barrass but not wanting to extend his contract, which somehow means we'll lose him.

If the Eagles want to keep him, they don't have to do anything 🤷‍♂️

Sure, if they want to piss him off and create issues within the playing group. He's already reportedly disgruntled with the way things have been handled, although he only has himself to blame by going against his manager's advice.

But all things considered, it seems like they want to ship him out for picks, which is the right thing to do considering our current situation.

It also doesn't make that much sense to keep him if we can get a good reward for the trade, considering HEdwards definitely leaves if Barrass stays and then we're screwed for developing key defenders for the next couple of years.

Actually if Gold Coast were smart, they would bring in top line players that could make a difference.

D Rioli is supposedly a priority and that is a start. I actually think the last thing they need is a bunch of new draftees. They had a heap last year and will get a bunch more top end talent in the next 2 drafts.

Who else is on the market?

They should put their hand up for Tom Barrass and offer 6 and 26 if we pay a big chuck of his salary. They would still have the 11 and 20 to trade with Richmond for Rioli (with % of salary paid by Tigers). That would leave them about enough points for Lombard.

The Suns need to use their picks not continue to bank them forward. For a decade, the Suns continue to bank picks and accumulate young talent. Time to change tact and make finals. Rioli and Barrass would help a lot more in 2025 than picks 6 11 20 and 26.

BTW - I am not advocating Tom would want to go there, only that the Suns should be looking to lure talent up north like Brisbane did with Dunkly and Neal

I’d imagine that in the past it’s not from a lack of trying to get ready made players ATG. It’s getting players to want to move there as opposed to wanting to bank future picks.

It’s largely I guess why Rioli is linked because of Hardwick and why the AFL wanted Hardwick at the Suns.

Even with Hardwick there I know if I was TB and had the Swans, Hawks and Suns offering me similar deals which club I’m probably passing on.

Sure, if they want to piss him off and create issues within the playing group. He's already reportedly disgruntled with the way things have been handled, although he only has himself to blame by going against his manager's advice.

But all things considered, it seems like they want to ship him out for picks, which is the right thing to do considering our current situation.

It also doesn't make that much sense to keep him if we can get a good reward for the trade, considering HEdwards definitely leaves if Barrass stays and then we're screwed for developing key defenders for the next couple of years.

Yes, I did edit my post to take into account being offered a deal too good to pass up.

But I don't mind clubs holding players to their contracts. It's gone too far the other way where they're not worth the paper they're written on.

Yes, I did edit my post to take into account being offered a deal too good to pass up.

But I don't mind clubs holding players to their contracts. It's gone too far the other way where they're not worth the paper they're written on.
I think it's more reflective of whether it benefits the club or not. Plenty of players have been held to contracts over the years.

A few clubs seem to take it personally, the Bulldogs being one. The carry-on over Dunkley was absurd, as was Bevo's reaction to Garcia touring Port. Next minute, he's talking about the club facilities and inviting oppo players to tour the club.

Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back