List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
You reckon WC were happy they got pick 26 or 27 or whatever it was for Ebert when he left for Port.
It is what the destination club has available.
We have pick 23 available, they will insist on that at the very least. F2 and F3 is absolute fantasy not to mention trading out of a draft with the best spread of WA talent in years.

The way Barrass is playing he would be worth quite a bit in a trade .
Won't be leaving surely ...
Honestly think WCE may push him to leave to the Bulldogs
Just makes sense he will help a club like Bulldogs to push for the premiership
We get a young back to cover and another top ten pick

Christ sakes. He's not somebody to split over.

Honestly this thirst for WA player has got to stop. Bo Allen is at the same level as clay hall. I'd argue even less proven because Clay Hall dominate wafl league in his draft year and Allen hasn't even played wafl league yet.

Bo Allen is a great player he is jack of all trades master of none. I'm happy to get him not due to splitting our pick 3

I rate Bo Allen a lot higher talent than Clay
Really want him he is improving so much this draft year
And he is another that will lift standards at the club he goes to works so hard

We have pick 23 available, they will insist on that at the very least. F2 and F3 is absolute fantasy not to mention trading out of a draft with the best spread of WA talent in years.
What they insist on and what is offered are 2 separate things.
WC can trade back into next year's draft with 2026 points or trading players this or next season.
I think Richmond will head south. Not sure our future 3 and their future 4th will end up being 18 picks apart

Honestly think WCE may push him to leave to the Bulldogs
Just makes sense he will help a club like Bulldogs to push for the premiership
We get a young back to cover and another top ten pick
WC aren't pushing an A grade KPD whose also a local boy out for pick 10 and an unproven defender.

What they insist on and what is offered are 2 separate things.
WC can trade back into next year's draft with 2026 points or trading players this or next season.
I think Richmond will head south. Not sure our future 3 and their future 4th will end up being 18 picks apart
Richmond don’t have to accept a trade, Baker will also want them to receive fair compensation. They’ll say no thanks and tell Baker they can still get him home to Freo for a 1R pick.

So then get unders for our 2026 picks to bring them into 2025 because we traded our 2025 picks out in the 2024 trade period?

Richmond don’t have to accept a trade, Baker will also want them to receive fair compensation. They’ll say no thanks and tell Baker they can still get him home to Freo for a 1R pick.

So then get unders for our 2026 picks to bring them into 2025 because we traded our 2025 picks out in the 2024 trade period?
Hopefully this is what happens

It would make me a whole lot more comfortable about this trade period. The Harley stress was enough for a lifetime.
I think it might be a wild one this year....traditionally we haven't really pushed anyone out that hasn't wanted to go (Sinclair the only one I can think of) but I wonder if with the new regime we might try and talk a few guys into moving on.

I think it might be a wild one this year....traditionally we haven't really pushed anyone out that hasn't wanted to go (Sinclair the only one I can think of) but I wonder if with the new regime we might try and talk a few guys into moving on.
Agreed, far less vanilla than previous years. Problem is short of trading out young talent we have very few players of value in a trade. Look at Richmond and they could end up with half the top 20 picks in the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That will all depend on whether Baker doesn't really mind where he goes.

If he wants to go to WC, he'll get here.

If Barrass really is no chance of leaving, what do we do with Harry Edwards?

I believe he should be playing regular AFL, hes well ahead of Jamo too but hes out of contract this year.
If we were to get Buss, delist Rotham and we kept HEdwards, we would be up to 6 KPDs on the list, all aside from Jamo maybe who should be playing in an AFL team in some capacity.
Even if we dont get Buss, Bazzo might be seen as a better 2nd/3rd tall, where HEdwards is probably more suited to TBs role.
He is no guarantee to get regular games with TB and Gov as locks in the side, and a fit Bazzo+Buss fighting for the 3rd tall spot too. He might need an injury to get a game in 2025.

Its hard when we might be a touch short on list spots. Gaff, Rotham, LEdwards and JJ youd think are gone, Burgiel maybe the 5th but dont know yet, I hope he stays.
Thats 4 spots unless we trade out somebody else or we delist somebody who is contracted which is also possible.

No doubt he will get at least a tiny bit of interest from another club needing a KPD, but he wont be worth much to us in a trade.
If we try to re-rookie him, do we lose him for nothing?

You can always look to split your second round pick, with a team which has a pick around the late 20’s or early 30’s and with an early to mid third round pick.

GWS with picks 31 & 49.

Or.

Ask Richmond for pick 40 and Baker for your second round pick.

You can always look to split your second round pick, with a team which has a pick around the late 20’s or early 30’s and with an early to mid third round pick.

GWS with picks 31 & 49.

Or.

Ask Richmond for pick 40 and Baker for your second round pick.
I don’t think any of these suggestions will satisfy the tigers. He’ll love Freo.

Last edited:
Like O.Allen mentioned the other day on coast to coast a key forwards hands are usually the last piece of the puzzle. Sometimes a reset like a career threatening illness or changing cities can be the catalyst that helps a player gain that mental edge to take on and start winning aerial contests. Clunking them is a confidence thing that for Bailey Williams could come later this year, next season or not at all, but I think we all can see that if Bailey starts sticking them he can be a serious player a la the Snake this year. That's what teams are trading for and not necessarily the player he is now.

If we do decide to trade, Geelong's pick 32 (mid 2nd round) could be a good fit and I seem to remember C.Scott rated him highly going on to note the cats were into him pre-draft.

Then suggest WC trial Maric off half back. Tall enough and an elite ball user.

This is in no way belittling Busslinger - but the kid has not played 1 AFL match and many on here are betting the farm on him solving a lot of our woes.
I agree with you about maric and his ball use . I have suggested this very thing maric going back .

But busslinger is a far superior intercept mark or mark in general and a better 1 on 1 defender .

We will lose McGovern soon .

Barrass can't do it alone .

Then there is huge question marks on the next 3 inline

Harry Edwards runs around like he has cement boots on . Cant keep up on a lead

Jamerson is athletically gifted but is an inexperienced defender.

Bazzo can't get on the park

At least with busslinger he has pedigree. Pick 13 best rated key defender in his draft for a future 2nd .

I think we will look back on it like the yeo or cripps trades . Bargain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back