List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 36 27.1%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 17 12.8%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Sydney was the late mail for Hewett wasn’t it ? Given the picks annd players available Ginbey and Hewett is a massive win. If we end up with buss for a second round pick this year that’s a clean up in my book
From memory I thought Essendon were likely to take hewett before our 2R pick Which forced us to take him with the second of our split first rounders.

Dodo a thorn in our side again.

On draft night being there we (the club I was working for) were expecting Geelong to pick Busslinger and then expected WCE to take Jhye Clark. (who WCE would have selected at pick 2) The expectation was then that the eagles would get Ginbey with 14 and with the well known school and off field (minor off field) indiscretions from Hewett that the Eagles would get him with their third pick. (by the time draft night came he was crossed off our board)

My plan, yes my plan after doing all the interviews and being told that Carlton wanted an outside player who could run (there were different names thrown about and hewett was one) and it was dicussed that they needed a high half forward as well It played out on the phone that if we drafted Olli his brother Elijah would request a trade next season. I rated Elijah higher than Olli and it was suggested we go HBF, ball pig and best available KPP from there. Jakob Ryan was the pick with Cowan the backup. Carlton ended up with Cowan.

I had been heavily against picking Binn as he is a ball butcher however he interviewed great and had a real desire to improve but 'we can teach him to kick better' and he was selected. (Still can't ****ing kick)

The whole group was torn on the KPP. Did we go the player with the much higher ceiling and great underage year but a shit top year campaign or did we go Phoenix Foster who had a great champs and back end of the year. I agreed that Lemmey was the higher level talent and while the decision wasn't mine he was the draft pick. He looked to be developing well in the back half of last year and i'm not sure what happened over the offseason but he has looked well down on confidence and hasn't developed any further.

Now, as a WCE supporter I wanted us to draft the Buss at Ginbey's pick and was certain that Ginbey would make it to 14. The only 2 clubs we weren't 100% sure on up to pick 13 were Geelong and Melbourne.

From the little I've seen of Jhye Clark I'm glad we didn't use pick 2 on him. Seems rather vanilla

What's Will Hayes predicted draft range?

What's Will Hayes predicted draft range?
Haven’t really seen him mentioned in any 1st or 2nd round discussions but he’s certainly not doing himself any harm during the championships.

Remember before the state games began the talk was that there were only one or two good WA prospects. I think after the last 4 games suddenly there are several that are a good chance of getting drafted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Langford probably best on ground

Travalgia was awesome again

Allan was good all day, had some exciting moments

Urquhart is a weird player, has patches of great play then patches where he’s invisible

Curtin was good, especially early on

Berry challenging Kako for best small of the draft

Champion was a no show

Walley was exciting, kicked 2 - believe he’s an NGA guy for us next year

Hynes was brilliant and damaging all day

Boxshall had another good game

Davis stocks keep rising, 3.3 today along with 15 touches, great size and versatility

Lalor a complete no show unfortunately

Haven’t really seen him mentioned in any 1st or 2nd round discussions but he’s certainly not doing himself any harm during the championships.

Remember before the state games began the talk was that there were only one or two good WA prospects. I think after the last 4 games suddenly there are several that are a good chance of getting drafted.
Urquhart was also good

Caught a bit of the last quarter without commentary so didn’t know the names

Urquhart I did notice though. Was good in the brief patch I saw

I watched the whole game. Champion is just too small. Our NGA prospect, Walley looks a much better prospect than Champion. Bo Allan was terrific and really tried to take the game on; I really hope we can grab him in the next draft.
Dennis down back was excellent. We had a lot of good players, our underagers were great so in 2025, we will have a very good team. Davis, Boxshall, Curtin, Rodriques, Gerreyn, Hayes, Urquhart were all good. Hayes is a fantastic prospect, I think he is an underager too.
It was our inability to kick goals in the 4th quarter that killed us, I think we kicked 7 points from very gettable set shots, and our disposal on hitting up players was awful at times. Missed so many targets. I think the lads will be disappointed they didn't win that.

And he's still contracted for another year and a half, plenty of time to change perceptions.

Had plenty of success at trading players in over the course and they all stay long term and rave about the club, as opposed to freo who not only loses players they drafted every season but they also lose players that chose to be traded to them who then change their mind once they get there, countless examples.

Seems like you're taking a pessimistic approach when looking at our chances of trading him in and optimistic when looking at freo's odds. Would be pretty clear to anyone with a brain which club you're better off coming to long term financially, for success, and just which club is a better environment to be in.

We will have more cash to offer than freo and by the end of next year our midfield will be one of the most stacked with young talent in the competition.

Think the jury decision is in, Freo are far more attractive trade destination than us….. unfortunately.

Went to Revo today to see the game and I will get my notes in order and post next week.

I will limit input to our NGA and F/S
Charlie Banfield as a 16 year old looks very good.
Malakai was disappointing and not close to top 40 based on today
Where's Wally was impressive at times and was a lot more consistent that I had seen before.

Loved the game of Travaglia and would want him off the half back for us. Exactly what we need.

Back