List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Would think its Freo, Brisbane or Gold Coast as more logical options for Ryan. Warmer and Qld a bit more laid back. Lions 1st likely in the teens and the steak knives player we cannot name. ;) :thumbsu:

Suns one of their 1sts with something going back, depends on the 1st.

Freo - one of their 1sts. Area of need to focus on.

The small forward market may get busy this period.

Now if we were super aggressive we would look at a Waterman trade. Taking the emotion out of it. He is now arguably at his highest trade value. Essendons 1st plus Nick Bryan. Maybe some later picks or swaps depending on the 1st.

Waterman's@ market value and trade value now would be what realistically?

Ryan, Darling (phased out in 2025) and Waterman out means opportunity for J Williams, A Reid, Long and Maric to develop. Plus Ryan's half forward spot is needed for developing a Hewett or our 2024 1st pick.

For the kids to get developed something needs to give.
Just not a need for Brisbane.

We have small forwards and half forwards coming out of our wazoo.

Harvey Langford has put himself right in the frame for the Larke medal with three outstanding performances so far at the Champs. He started off this game a little shaky by foot but was hugely influential at stoppage and used his elite footy IQ to find a ton of the ball on the spread.

Yes because there is no quick fix, this is a 5-10 year plan and sometimes you just have to make the tough calls, Hawks are further along on the rebuild because they did it, Pies won a flag by doing it.
Hawks got rid of their older mids, as basically salary dumps, getting back late’ish picks.

They weren’t trading out good players for trade capital.

Pies had to salary dump a couple of overpaid players and underperforming kids, brought in a couple of cheaper role players, knowing they had an elite father son coming in.

And they still had good depth all over the park.

Not sure anyone has suggested get rid of everyone but we have 3 or 4 players with rumours already existing about that could net us some very valuable draft picks/players to put us in a better rebuilding position.

You’re in a position where you need to keep just about every best 22 player possible.

Trading the likes of Allen and Waterman is crazy.

Trading Ryan makes some sense. Maybe Barrass, but again not a trade I’d be keen on.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but Phillipou with 26 + a goal today leading the Saints to a comeback win over Swans.

Was available at the Ginbey pick. Not dumping on Reubs, but right now I wouldn't mind having the Pou.
I was keen on the poo but then his comments about playing fir a big Vic club he seemed like a dick. funny he ended at one of the lower ranked vics

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lets be honest, be lucky for one of theae deals to come off. All three.....no chance.

That said.

Rivers will go to Freo if he comes home.

Tholstrop however?

Gold Coast feel we may do something there. Ryan may work.

Is TB too big a loss for 12 and 28? Gov out with busted ribs again.
I wouldn’t expect all 3, but we have the players under contract and I wouldn’t accept any less than what I’ve proposed but we HAVE to look at how we can get a few more picks. Could bring Freo into the deal and give them Rivers and we take their best 1R and Reidy.

Tholstrup is loving Melbourne, can’t see him wanting to leave.

Ryan realistically would only go to Freo I think but don’t pretend to know the inner workings of the Ryan family. Again one of their 1R picks should be considered given a Walters replacement is exactly what they need.

I’ve said for a which TB is a pick 6-10 and a pick in the 20s or no deal but would accept 12 and 28 if Garcia was included. That’s probably O’Farrell, Mraz and Garcia for Barrass and Petch.

I also wonder if the lack of a Duggan deal suggests that the club is holding out for a big deal to be offered. The concern is he’s unrestricted so we’d have to take what we’re given.

Trade / Free Agents.
Picks and Compensation.
Keep or Trade?

The following players are either Out of Contract, Free Agents or have at some point been talked about as trade bait.

Realistically what is their value and do we want to cash in, keep or delist at years end?

Tier1.
Barrass. 9-18+. Keep.
Duggan. UFA. Band2. Keep.
Waterman. 18-27. Keep.
Brockman. OoC. 27-45. Keep.
HEdwards. OoC. 27-45. Keep.
Ryan. 18-27. Trade.
BWilliams. 27-45. Trade.

Tier2.
Witherden. OoC. 36-54. Keep.
Burgiel. OoC. 54-63. Keep.
JWilliams. 27-45. Trade.
Maric. 27-45. Trade.
Sheed. 36-54. Trade.
Petch. 36-54. Trade.
Jamieson. 36-54. Trade.
Culley. OoC. 54-63. Trade.

Tier3.
JBaker. OoC. Keep.
Rawlinson. OoC. Keep.
Rotham. UFA. Band 5. Trade.
LEdwards. OoC. Delist.
Jones. UFA. Delist.
Gaff. UFA. Delist.
Trew. UFA. Delist.

Total:
Delist = 4
Trade = 9
;18-27 = 1
;27-45 = 3
;36-54 = 3
;54-63 = 2

Use a few picks to trade for players and a couple to trade up or add to future picks for Warner!

On SM-S906E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hawks got rid of their older mids, as basically salary dumps, getting back late’ish picks.

They weren’t trading out good players for trade capital.

Pies had to salary dump a couple of overpaid players and underperforming kids, brought in a couple of cheaper role players, knowing they had an elite father son coming in.

And they still had good depth all over the park.

You’re in a position where you need to keep just about every best 22 player possible.

Trading the likes of Allen and Waterman is crazy.

Trading Ryan makes some sense. Maybe Barrass, but again not a trade I’d be keen on.

Not interested in hearing trade advice from someone who supports a team who did a rebuild during the mid-season draft.

Only way im trading Barass is if he comes with multiple assets. Losing 1 player to get 1 pick in wont really work given the hole we are in. Only deal id do is

Geelongs 1st rounder given by trading Bailey Smith + pick 29 + Garcia for Barass and pick 59

Something along those lines is the only thing worth doing.

A 1 for 1 situation wont improve our list in any way

Only way im trading Barass is if he comes with multiple assets. Losing 1 player to get 1 pick in wont really work given the hole we are in. Only deal id do is

Geelongs 1st rounder given by trading Bailey Smith + pick 29 + Garcia for Barass and pick 59

Something along those lines is the only thing worth doing.

A 1 for 1 situation wont improve our list in any way

Buss + a first rounder would have done the job, has the Dogs announced his new deal yet? They are still into Barrass.

No thanks.

Got no interest in Nick Bryan myself. If Nick Bryan comes then Barnett should go/be delisted

AFL can give us late teens picks. We got no need to trade 50 goal per season forward to achieve this goal
Yep ok, Barnett and our 1st pick for Adelaide 1st and Curtin. We drop 2 spots on the ladder and still get one of FOS, Lalor, Smillie, Jagar. Crows might snap this up to guarantee they get Draper.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

No issue with moving some on that have currency, if open to moving. Getting rid of our good key forwards is a bit of lunacy though.

Could handle Waterman moving on but a couple are suggesting Allen should be moved on for more currency.

Who replaces him?

We get kicked int he dick enough as it is. Moving both our best goal-kickers will just amplify the issue.

So they move on. Then what? Nobody to replace them with?

Anyone too old to be part of our next flag should potentially be asked to look for a another opportunity if it's there and it benefits the club draft-wise but you can't have every one of them out the door, especially if they're int eh mid 20s age-bracket.
A couple or just random260?

Trading OA is just about the dumbest thing I've read on here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buss + a first rounder would have done the job, has the Dogs announced his new deal yet? They are still into Barrass.

Would chuck in Garcia as a cheapy but itd be what we want. Doggies fans would be upset but id be happy to chip in wage wise to get such a move done. Doggies 100% need salary cap room

A couple or just random260?

Trading OA is just about the dumbest thing I've read on here.
Im actually offended im not the owner of that title. How dare you

Just not a need for Brisbane.

We have small forwards and half forwards coming out of our wazoo.

With McCarthy likely done, he who cannot be named possibly moving and maybe Charlie looking for a pay rise elsewhere looks like you will need them. Zorko almost done as well. Thats four players who rotate through half forward and Lions cant wait 2 or 3 years for a 18 year old to deliver. Ashcroft II playing in a grandfinal at 18 or 19?

No issue with moving some on that have currency, if open to moving. Getting rid of our good key forwards is a bit of lunacy though.

Could handle Waterman moving on but a couple are suggesting Allen should be moved on for more currency.

Who replaces him?

So they move on. Then what? Nobody to replace them with?

As posted we have nine talls to use and develop as forwards and a couple are ruck forwards.

We have loaded up with tall forwards and have too many.

The trade Oscar post are crazy agreed.

But Waterman, if he wants a big contract on big money and we can get good trade terms he is who could help fix other areas in need.

With McCarthy likely done, he who cannot be named possibly moving and maybe Charlie looking for a pay rise elsewhere looks like you will need them. Zorko almost done as well. Thats four players who rotate through half forward and Lions cant wait 2 or 3 years for a 18 year old to deliver. Ashcroft II playing in a grandfinal at 18 or 19?
Zorko has played hbf all year - probably finishes his career there too based on how good he's been.

Lohman, Rayner and Bailey have been enough this year.

As posted we have nine talls to use and develop as forwards and a couple are ruck forwards.

We have loaded up with tall forwards and have too many.

The trade Oscar post are crazy agreed.

But Waterman, if he wants a big contract on big money and we can get good trade terms he is who could help fix other areas in need.
I think you are overestimating his worth. He will fetch a pick 15-25 and considered similar value to Liam Baker in reality

Futbolista any chance you can provide a quick over view of the top 7 WA kids next year, on your rankings?

Name, height/weight, position, potential first round, second round, etc.

And if any are nga or father son kids.
I'm not sure of all NGA's. They don't make it easy to find for some reason. Too early to guess which round they may go and this list will change a lot in 15 months but at 8/07/2024 this is what I have. Being one of WA's best crops in recent years, I would hope there would be numerous 1st and 2nd round selections but there is still a lot of water to pass under the bridge.

1-Fred Rodriguez (SF) 185cm Midfield
2-Cody Curtin (CL/PSA) 197cm Defender
3-Toby Whan (SF/Frem NGA) 184cm Midfield
4-Wesley Walley Jnr (S/WCE NGA) 181cm Forward
5-Blake Kelly (SD/PSA) 182cm Midfield
6-Sam Swadling (WP) 189cm Forward/Midfield
7-Marcus Cassidy (EP/PSA) 188cm Forward/Midfield
8-Judd Marcello (WP) 192cm Forward
9-Jadd Hill (P) 182cm Midfield
10-Darcy Montgomery (S) 191cm Forward
11-Charlie Banfield (CL/PSA/WCE FS) 187cm Midfield/Forward
12-Koby Evans (P/WCE NGA) 186cm Forward
13-Oscar Willis (CL) 189cm Defender
14-Dale Sutherland (P/PSA) 187cm Defender
15-Joshua Nomlatyu (EF/Frem NGA) 197cm Forward/Ruck

Full list of 50 for 2025 here and updated each week https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/west-australian-junior-talent-2025-draft.1374990/page-4

Last edited:
I think you are overestimating his worth. He will fetch a pick 15-25 and considered similar value to Liam Baker in reality
I think that’s undervaluing a forward who’s going at 3 goals a game in a shithouse team. With a full season that’s 70 odd goals. If he plays next year like this year we’ll get a top 3 pick take it to the bank.

I think that’s undervaluing a forward who’s going at 3 goals a game in a shithouse team. With a full season that’s 70 odd goals. If he plays next year like this year we’ll get a top 3 pick take it to the bank.
He has only done it for 1 season.

No one is giving a top 3 pick for a guy who would only need say 5 year 4 mill deal to entice over...

The math doesnt work out

He has only done it for 1 season.

No one is giving a top 3 pick for a guy who would only need say 5 year 4 mill deal to entice over...

The math doesnt work out
It would be band 1 compo for a huge contract. Also just saw this on fox sports with some interesting musings that would appear to align with an increase valuation of Waterman:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back