List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
By the sounds of it we aren't offering English as much $ as was thought previously but 6 years .

He may only net the bulldogs band 2 compo .
He's still young. Even 850k over the 6 years probably goes close to band 1.

I dont think itd be that small of a pay packet.

If we have some deal for that compo pick lined up we might just pay English a bit more to make sure it's band 1

I've not heard of bomberblitz Noober. That comment obvs wasnt directed at you, we appreciate your work... I asked if James Hird regretted taking on the coaching gig after the doping thing instead of staying in his media job. Sliding doors and all that... They didnt respond kindly to it

Keep up the good work!!
All good mate. My philosophy is that if you can't have a good laugh at yourself you're doing something wrong.

Have you seen Trew play? Hes too small to be an inside mid, he's too slow to do anything else.
Dev has a much higher chance of being a regular in a best 22 at AFL level than Trew.

Why are you so big on Trew? The blokes done nothing to earn that
I’m not big on trew. I think both him an dev are less than 25% chances of making it. Both very limited footballers.

I hate to break it to you but dev is slow if not slower than trew. They are also the same height / weight.

Dev has done nothing to warrant any interest whatsoever. At least one is already on our list. Dev being a much higher chance to make it is based on nothing.

Back to matters trading.

The current points systems is so far from reality. Example - Freo with the Schultz trade in 2023.

The trade was Schults to Pies for pick 34 and Pies F1.
- based on ladder finish in 2023, it would have been picks 18 and 34 which the points systems values at pick 9
1721633423340.png
Based on the assumption Pies finish 13th and Freo 4th (current positions and betting agencies agree will likely hold by season end), the picks become 6 and 34 which the AFL points systems values at pick 3.
1721633580121.png
Firstly, in what world would a club only have to pay pick 34 to go up the board from 6 to 3?

Definitely broken. Glad the vAFL have identified it and looking forward to seeing the results. Also good that it is increasing the value of top end picks when we actually have top end picks.

On another side, well done to our Purples. Hard to say but they nailed the trades/deals last year.

Facts - they finished 14th last year and sold off all but their future firsts. Selling high. Using the finishing position in 2023, every pick they sold got worse and every pick they gained looks like it has got better.

• Schultz for picks 34 and 6
  • Ports swap was their F1 for 23 and Freo F2 which looks like it will be something like 10 for 23 and 35. This might change but wow, well done.
  • Henry trade - minor but it looks better now than it did in 2023

Now we need to find a way of being nice to the kid who has a full wallet/purse. I am tipping prior to FA compensation and NGA/FS stuff, Freo will end up with picks 6, 10, 15 and 24. Likely to finish in 4th while we will only have picks 2 and 22 finishing 13 places lower.

Important pointer - I do not believe we have hit rock bottom with on-field performances so we only sell a future pick if the buyer values like we are finishing bottom 2.

By the sounds of it we aren't offering English as much $ as was thought previously but 6 years .

He may only net the bulldogs band 2 compo .
They can match and he will get his 6 year deal. Which is what he apparently wants at a minimum. Plus if the TB thing is happening. Keep everyone happy and it should come back the other way

I’m not big on trew. I think both him an dev are less than 25% chances of making it. Both very limited footballers.

I hate to break it to you but dev is slow if not slower than trew. They are also the same height / weight.

Dev has done nothing to warrant any interest whatsoever. At least one is already on our list. Dev being a much higher chance to make it is based on nothing.
You over rate Trew, and underrate Dev. Just because they are the same size, and both play midfield doesn't mean they're the same player.
Putting Trew and Dev in the same category is the same thing as being big on Trew.

Dev was fringe at a top 4 club, with a stacked midfield.

Trew was less than fringe at the worst performing club in AFL history, with our midfield being by far our worst line.

its not even remotely comparable lol

English compo + Garcia + a 2nd rounder for Barrass?

Garcia will re-sign.

And it’d look more like Barass and a second rounder for English.

English will also re-sign though, Cal Twomey basically said it’s a lock last week and they’re just finalising things. People on Dogs board reckon it’ll be done this week.

Garcia will re-sign.

English will also re-sign though, Cal Twomey basically said it’s a lock last week and they’re just finalising things. People on Dogs board reckon it’ll be done this week.
They might both re-sign but Eagles definitely won’t be trading for him and not apart of the TB trade.

Sort of counterproductive if you know how Free agency and compo picks work

Garcia will re-sign.

If English doesn't re-sign, then he won't get included in a 'trade' with WCE.

he's an UFA.

Would be nothing to do with Barrass trade.

They can match and he will get his 6 year deal. Which is what he apparently wants at a minimum. Plus if the TB thing is happening. Keep everyone happy and it should come back the other way
What ? It says in the article that bevo doesn't rate rucks and they have pretty much low balled him.

Take English as a free agent .

Keep barass

Ask for priority picks and extra rookie spots

Get what we can for BW , Petrecelle

Don't trade in over valued players like Baker.

Don't match on champion with anything in the first 2 rounds .

We don't need to add a heap of draftees .
We have Hewett who is like a new draftee

Garcia will re-sign.

English is a free agent bud. He won't be part of a trade. The compo pick you might get for him however...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we overrating Barrass? Compo pick (11) + Garcia + Buss/F2?

This will only make sense if pay 400/500k of Barrass salary and we throw in our R2. Otherwise heavily weighed in favour.

If we need to get Baker across the line I’ll chuck Tigers a F2

I’d also go hard at Sheldrick this year with F3, and at the very least start getting in his ear for 2025 when he is OOC.

I hate this period, another four weeks with crazy trade scenarios to consume the board for another two months.

Last edited:
You over rate Trew, and underrate Dev. Just because they are the same size, and both play midfield doesn't mean they're the same player.
Putting Trew and Dev in the same category is the same thing as being big on Trew.

Dev was fringe at a top 4 club, with a stacked midfield.

Trew was less than fringe at the worst performing club in AFL history, with our midfield being by far our worst line.

its not even remotely comparable lol
You still have failed to highlight an actual difference in their attributes. Only ones you have said are size and speed which were wrong.

Is trew being fringe on Trew or on Simmo? He clearly should have been playing all year.

He is a year younger than dev. Played 30 less games. Yet he has a significantly higher output.

This fascination with a delist material player at another club is sad.

Oh you're right, he is.

Still lol at the suggestion we'll give up Barrass and 2nd rounder for him though.
Unsure if you're talking about me - but to be clear, I was saying I'd be open to give up the compensation for English (Or English himself) AND a 2nd rounder for Barrass.

What ? It says in the article that bevo doesn't rate rucks and they have pretty much low balled him.

Take English as a free agent .

Keep barass

Ask for priority picks and extra rookie spots

Get what we can for BW , Petrecelle

Don't trade in over valued players like Baker.

Don't match on champion with anything in the first 2 rounds .

We don't need to add a heap of draftees .
We have Hewett who is like a new draftee
What? They have offered him 5 years, so not sure they have ‘low balled’ him. Less than what we have probably but they can just match if they ain’t getting band 1 and I think they 100% will.

TB, you’re either in trade or not trade camp. No point having a star full back if it’s just repeatedly just coming in with minimal pressure. Plus I believe we have depth there.

PP isn’t even getting talked about anymore in the media and no guarantees to get them at all so not sure on that strategy.

Ok, so they match English and we sell BW for a 4th round pick…… hmmmm

Agreed you don’t pay overs, he’s OOC but we all probably value him differently.

They’ll have Champion on their draft board where ever they do and shouldn’t get spooked for the sake of matching but can still get value with going ahead of where you had him. (Depending on the new rules)

Agreed, 6 top 30 picks in the last two years who I think all bar Barnett have shown enough and Maric looks a decent MD pick. But if you can add one or two more for getting ‘overs’ in a trade you do it.

Why are we still talking about Robertson?

Haven't we learnt from Zac Langdon, SPS, Jermaine Jones etc?
Even using 3rd or 4th rounders on these players when you know what they bring to the table is pointless IMO.
Because he plays like Gary Ablett in the reserves and then gets wasted as a tagger or on a fwd flank in the AFL.

All the other guys were mediocre almost all of the time.

For a free hit we improve on the Trew/XOneill - even if just for strengthening the 2s.

Garcia will re-sign.

Is this like the time 48 hours ago when you made a statement here, were challenged then ran back to your board looking for validation of said statement?

You also better get a handle on how free agency works Juice boy.

Are we overrating Barrass? Compo pick (11) + Garcia + Buss/F2?

This will only make sense if pay 400/500k of Barrass salary and we throw in our R2. Otherwise heavily weighed in favour.

If we need to get Baker across the line I’ll chuck Tigers a F2

I’d also go hard at Sheldrick this year with F3, and at the very least start getting in his year for 2025.

I hate this period, another four weeks with crazy trade scenarios to consume the board for another two months.
Apparently Sydney offered two first last year

Garcia will re-sign.

Haha

I hope this isn’t how it is… freo totally get the best of the lot with this rub.
For sure. We were ripped off when the zoning was done. There was interaction between the clubs and the AFL when the zones were allocated - another example of us being weak and Freo owning us off field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back