List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
The first in what will be a series of highlights videos for the top draft picks picking out the best moments from their 2024 Champs performances. First up is Sid Draper, who was still finding his fitness and form through the Champs after a long injury layoff but still managed to wow us with moments of brilliance.

Of course he walks into most sides. He’s been a consistent AFL player of a long period of time. He had a shocker a few games back and it’s freshly in the minds of everyone.

Would sit in our top 5 pretty comfortably in this years B&F. Does he butcher the ball? He does at times but he’s not the only one. Have a look at some of our players disposal efficiency, he’s not our worst and sits in front of Yeo, Kelly & Ryan in this stat. Part of it’s the position that the likes Duggan, Yeo and Kelly play where they are pressured into dump kicks.

Isaac Heeney Brownlow favourite is going for this season at 71% disposal efficiency have a look at Duggans and come back to me.

He has been a consistent player for a long period of time… and a consistent player in the worst team in recent history for the past 3-4 years.. top 5 in the best and fairest isn’t some high bar to latch onto…

He isn’t the worst Cole, Witho, Barass, Kelly and plenty others have claims but he is the captain and his ability to miss short kicks under no pressure makes it stand out like monkey nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He has been a consistent player for a long period of time… and a consistent player in the worst team in recent history for the past 3-4 years.. top 5 in the best and fairest isn’t some high bar to latch onto…

He isn’t the worst Cole, Witho, Barass, Kelly and plenty others have claims but he is the captain and his ability to miss short kicks under no pressure makes it stand out like monkey nuts.

Top 5 in any clubs B&F is a good benchmark. It’s the lack of quality and experience that we have through the middle of our list that is the issue.

You’re attacking the wrong player and he would walk into nearly any team in the competition. You have a history of going after a particular player mate, we have all seen it with Waterman. Maybe just walk away from this one and actually look at the players that are underperforming for us currently.

Its telling and concerning there's no credentialed coaches willing to put their hand up and coach the rabble that is our club. There's just so little to work with in terms of young stocks, Reid aside. Its such a long way back, thanks to the lack of future vision, (non)decisions of the board, list management and coaches over the last decade.

I'm wondering now how long the strong Eagles membership supporter can wait it out.

I get that we are lacking quality, but little to work with in regards to young stocks?

Half our list is under 22yo. Some of those will be gone this off-season, others won’t make it, but you’d hope around half turn into 1st team regulars.

Add some free agents, a high draft choice (or two/three if we split and/or trade guys out) potentially some players traded in (Garcia, Baker, others). It’s not a ‘finals bound 2025’ list but certainly something that a good coach could shape over a couple of seasons to be competitive.

If potential coaches want to read the lazy media, not assess the list and players and just agree that the rebuild is now at day 1 then we are better off without them. Those who can identify the 10-12 young guys (outside of Reid) who have AFL attributes that they have shown in glimpses - and articulate how they think they can unlock the potential to have it shown more consistently are the ones who should progress into later stages of our search process!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Its telling and concerning there's no credentialed coaches willing to put their hand up and coach the rabble that is our club. There's just so little to work with in terms of young stocks, Reid aside. Its such a long way back, thanks to the lack of future vision, (non)decisions of the board, list management and coaches over the last decade.

I'm wondering now how long the strong Eagles membership supporter can wait it out.
???

Anybody currently in a coaching role or working at another club in any capacity isn't going to come out and volunteer their services publicly when the season isn't even over yet.

There's like 10 weeks before the grand final, the coach won't be announced before then

Top 5 in any clubs B&F is a good benchmark. It’s the lack of quality and experience that we have through the middle of our list that is the issue.

You’re attacking the wrong player and he would walk into nearly any team in the competition. You have a history of going after a particular player mate, we have all seen it with Waterman. Maybe just walk away from this one and actually look at the players that are underperforming for us currently.

Must have missed Tom Cole who I went after the other day, Duggan is a constant frustration, Bailey Williams is useless. I spread the comments about most players …
So now it’s down to nearly any team in the comp… good to see you have backed down

the tricky bit is, he's just not a great tap ruckman (that being said his HO to adv % is not too bad).
but I agree we cant continue down the path we are, as it is just totally detrimental to the development of the kids.

Plus he can pretty much take full ruck-load, meaning we can have another runner in the 22.

I'll take a not too bad to advantage to the current zero to advantage.

Rubbish. He is easily best 22 in any side in the comp, he just isn't a match winner. He is reliable and yes he can butcher the ball, but that's indicative of how we are going and the pressure the back 6 has had to sustain for 3 yrs now.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Garbage, wouldn't walk into any side, borderline in a couple maybe. There is a reason we are possibly the worst side ever in the AFL. I have always backed the players, but I also won't pander to outright BS.

Of course he walks into most sides. He’s been a consistent AFL player for a long period of time. He had a shocker a few games back and it’s fresh in the minds of everyone.

Would sit in our top 5 pretty comfortably in this years B&F. Does he butcher the ball? He does at times but he’s not the only one. Have a look at some of our players disposal efficiency, he’s not our worst and sits in front of Yeo, Kelly & Ryan in this stat. Part of it’s the position that the likes Duggan, Yeo and Kelly play where they are pressured into dump kicks.

Isaac Heeney is the Brownlow favourite and is going for this season at 71% disposal efficiency, have a look at Duggans and come back to me.
That is exactly my point.

That is exactly my point.
He is the epitome of mediocrity. Nothing against Dugg but he is a WAFL standard footballer at best. Hence our whole predicament.

No it’s not. Your point was that he’s a WAFL standard footballer at best. He’s clearly not and you lose all credibility by making such an over exaggerated claim on a bloke that’s obviously highly regarded within the club.

Duggan is not our issue and is far from it. There is plenty of dead wood and WAFL standard players to cut on our list before we start to worry about the likes of Duggan.

Last edited:
Setterfield is a stop gap, and wouldn't cost multiple picks including a top 5 pick.
Setterfield has shown to be a competent inside mid, while not being a star. His lack of positional flexibility is by far his biggest flaw.

We have Reid and Hewett, with maybe Chesser to be attacking mids in 3 years time, why do we need more? No good club loads their midfield with that type of player. They have a balance

What are you even on about lmao.
Dumb comment
At least be consistent in your justifications. You said Yeo was a pure attacking mid when you wanted to talk down recruiting one midfielder but then conveniently switched him to a pure defender to support your narrative of recruiting a different midfielder. Your arguments are far more credible with some consistency.

Stop gap from what? Someone like Setterfield would just take the spot of a youngster who we are trying to get games into. We already have experienced big bodies that can offer support in the mids (Yeo/Duggo). We don’t need to go looking for list cloggers to fill that role. Zurhaar as a FA could do stints in there to crash and bash.

You are over-emphasizing player type and and neglecting player quality.

If Patty Cripps wanted to go to Essendon, they wouldn’t say “No thanks we already have Will Setterfield”. Both are big bodied midfielders but one is a Brownlow medalist and one is a D-Grade plodder.

Similarly if Chad Warner wanted to come to WC I sure as hell hope the club wouldn’t say “No thanks we already have Campbell Chesser”. Warner is currently the best of his type and a good age.

I like Hewett and hope he comes on but he’s had more foot injuries than games played and is no guarantee to be the line breaker we hope.

Yeo, Reid and Hewett haven’t even played a game together. And when they do they don’t have to be in every CBA together, they are versatile enough to rotate through other positions. Ginbey, Duggo and Yeo can rotate through defensive mid roles, bring in Dev Rob too if we really want.

Harley needs some quality players brought in around him. Warner quality, NOT Setterfield quality. Our best current players are all 30+ and will be retiring when Reid’s contract ends. In 3 years if he looks around and sees no other gun players in their prime to take the club forward then we can’t blame him if he leaves.

Rubbish. He is easily best 22 in any side in the comp, he just isn't a match winner. He is reliable and yes he can butcher the ball, but that's indicative of how we are going and the pressure the back 6 has had to sustain for 3 yrs now.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Gets a lot of the pill
Is a hard kent
Pretty good one on one
Sure he shanks a few but there’s much worse
Signing for 3 years is a no brainer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it’s not. Your point was that he’s a WAFL standard footballer at best. He’s clearly not and you lose all credibility by making such an over exaggerated claim on a bloke that’s obviously highly regarded within the club.

Duggan is not our issue and is far from it. There is plenty of dead wood and WAFL standard players to cut on our list before we start to worry about the likes of Duggan.
You missed it. We are so bad that a WAFL level footballer is in our top 5 , hence why we such a shit side.

English is a no brainer if he wants to come. He's not perfect but no player is. At the end of the day he is an AA calibre ruckman that we get for no trade cost.

The salary cost means nothing - in 4 years the only player that we will need to pay big coin to is Harley. Its not like we have anyone else that will be demanding a massive pay rise (which is sad but true). Maybe Hewett and Ginbey but think of all the stars that good teams have now and what we will have spare in the cap when Kelly, Yeo, Gove etc are gone. We'll be rolling in salary and need to spend it somehow. May as well use it to make us abit more competitive now, not least of which with a view to keeping Harley. If this dumpster fire keeps going he's 100% gone.

We are also basically no chance of attracting another AA calibre free agent over the next few years. Anyone half decent from WA will want to go to Freo. May as well use this scenario with English to get him - he just cant go to Freo with Darcy and Jackson.

At least be consistent in your justifications. You said Yeo was a pure attacking mid when you wanted to talk down recruiting one midfielder but then conveniently switched him to a pure defender to support your narrative of recruiting a different midfielder. Your arguments are far more credible with some consistency.

Stop gap from what? Someone like Setterfield would just take the spot of a youngster who we are trying to get games into. We already have experienced big bodies that can offer support in the mids (Yeo/Duggo). We don’t need to go looking for list cloggers to fill that role. Zurhaar as a FA could do stints in there to crash and bash.

If Patty Cripps wanted to go to Essendon, they wouldn’t say “No thanks we already have Will Setterfield”. Both are big bodied midfielders but one is a Brownlow medalist and one is a D-Grade plodder.

Similarly if Chad Warner wanted to come to WC I sure as hell hope the club wouldn’t say “No thanks we already have Campbell Chesser”. Warner is currently the best of his type and a good age.

I like Hewett and hope he comes on but he’s had more foot injuries than games played and is no guarantee to be the line breaker we hope.

Yeo, Reid and Hewett haven’t even played a game together. And when they do they don’t have to be in every CBA together, they are versatile enough to rotate through other positions. Ginbey, Duggo and Yeo can rotate through defensive mid roles, bring in Dev Rob too if we really want.

Harley needs some quality players brought in around him. Warner quality, NOT Setterfield quality. Our best current players are all 30+ and will be retiring when Reid’s contract ends. In 3 years if he looks around and sees no other gun players in their prime to take the club forward then we can’t blame him if he leaves.
You can get games into young blokes in the WAFL until they are ready. You don’t just trot out 23 young blokes to get games into them.

Pou showed a stint in the magoos does wonders when the blokes you are trying to get games into ain’t preforming.

Duggan also has played minimal midfield and Yeo could go down at anytime. If we miss on Carroll, Brissy bloke and Davies there is no reason why Setters shouldn’t be given a go. Helps makes us better compared to what we have and help Kelly and Harley do what they should.

Bringing in Setters doesn’t stop you bringing in guns, you ain’t giving up huge salary or trade assets for him so that makes 0 sense. He will just take the place of our cloggers who serve no purpose in the AFL or magoos.

No point getting bullied by 70pts every week, we will just turn into one of those clubs that can’t keep their interstate players and the cycle keeps going.

I was originally no English at start of year but we need him.

No draft capital cost seems a no brainer. He's worth good money, just not insane. 6yr is about right to get him to twitch
Agreed, would prefer a Xerri type but English helps straight away and we have cap to spend so go for it.

Must have missed Tom Cole who I went after the other day, Duggan is a constant frustration, Bailey Williams is useless. I spread the comments about most players …
So now it’s down to nearly any team in the comp… good to see you have backed down

Haven’t backed down but I’m not going to argue over it anymore it’s pointless. Enjoy being a miserable Kent because you have at least three more years of watching him.

Prepare Season 7 GIF by Game of Thrones

Lmao
Yeo was a very good half back in the past, it was his run and drive along with being big enough to be a pseudo 3rd tall that worked for him.
I dont know where you assume I want him to be a pure defender.
Dumb comment

Lol
Idk what to even say here
Lol, we could get Chad Warner for 2 top 10 picks or we could draft 2 mids and use what we have. We get 5 more years out of a kid than we would Warner too.
The 2 picks are more valuable to us and it's not even close
If we want to give him games we need to have some sort of balanced midfield around him. Otherwise he would just be relegated to a forward role or the opposition just walks the ball out of stoppage unopposed.

We want Reid and Hewett to both be 60%+ CBA guys in 3 years time. Like Rozee and Butters, or add JHF to that as 3 attacking guys who all get 60% + cbas and can sit forward.
Yeo isnt a defensive mid.
Harley needs literally anybody who can help him get the ball more often.

Have you ever watched what Collingwood do with Daicos? Do they just load up on attacking mids with him?
No.
They have Pendlebury and Crisp as defensive mids blocking so Daicos can do what he wants.
Setterfield can play a similar role to Pendlebury or Crisp.
Warner is a star, you don't overload the midfield with A1 mids. You need a mix.

Your whole reply is bleh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back