List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
So the journo pile on has started with English. The latecomers quoting other journo's speculation.

It does match the info I was told that a family member mentioned a move back home was on the cards.

Still won't believe it till it happens.

Holding out this late in a season is an indicator of sorts though.
I think if we were closer to competing English would be locked in to come back. The issue is he'll be looking at us thinking we have another couple of years of pain and he'll have to weigh up whether the extra cash/years are worth going through that shit.

With a deep draft the Priority picks would be enough to maybe get a non free agent player and hold enough picks for the draft .
Get a free agent or 2 and repeat next year .
McGovern is injury prone . Guys like hedwards and bazzo are also injury prone .

Getting rid of barrass would mean we need to factor in a replacement too.

People want to gut the list and replace them with a bunch of non best 22 guys from other clubs and rookies .

That's the norf approach.

Trading a 29 year TB or a Waterman is not gutting the list.

People list 6 players who we should consider trading does not mean we trade 6 players. In reality it will be one or at the most two. Our history shows we are not Collingwood.

And trading one or both of TB and Waterman would be for overs as both are contracted. We have ample depth in KP forwards to develop plus Darling as WAFL depth. Key backs not as much depth but we have talls who can play and we would need to draft another.

Moving on one or two older players on for overs is not gutting the list. It's refreshing it with quality kids using quality picks.

I have been thinking a lot lately about how we can add some flair to this list. Obviously a new coach will do that with some player positional changes. I think we really need to spice up the backline and get some run and drive out of there. It is the perfect position (half back) for Chesser to be trained over summer. Has shown a low IQ playing on the wing and getting very lost.

Has the athleticism and is willing to run an carry with ball in hand. Play on a high half forward, with number one priority of stopping there influence, but as soon as we have the ball in transition, needs to be given a license to run and create. Use his strengths.

I think if we were to trade TB a backline in 2025 could like
FB - Hough HEdwards McGovern
CHB - Chesser Bazzo Ginbey
INT - Travaglia

3 talls, with Gov playing his usual role and helping the other bigs.

Hough as your lockdown, Ginbey, Chesser and potentially Travaglia all with an attacking licence to run at the game.

Cole, Jamo a developing KPD and maybe Jordan Baker as your guys waiting in the wings.

Trading a 29 year TB or a Waterman is not gutting the list.

People list 6 players who we should consider trading does not mean we trade 6 players. In reality it will be one or at the most two. Our history shows we are not Collingwood.

And trading one or both of TB and Waterman would be for overs as both are contracted. We have ample depth in KP forwards to develop plus Darling as WAFL depth. Key backs not as much depth but we have talls who can play and we would need to draft another.

Moving on one or two older players on for overs is not gutting the list. It's refreshing it with quality kids using quality picks.
Trouble is our list then looks like this,

Red are gone / done as AFL level players
Yellow are chance to be retired/moved on/ done as AFL level players
Green we can't trust to be available.

Starts getting to Melbourne circa 2010 levels of having no senior players to help the kids.

1721865274863.png

Like Paul Harding in 1992 & Ryan Turnball in 1994????

Or Lycett & Vardy in 2018.

Only one of our flags has had a standout ruckman, Cox. The others don't even approach standout.

That said, I'm for getting English
Yeah thanks I was gonna say this

think maybe jako pinch hit in 92 and ball 94

hardly great rucks

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Starts getting to Melbourne circa 2010 levels of having no senior players to help the kids.

View attachment 2058028

Tim English is a senior player.

So is Baker.

Dev Robertson isn't a kid.

We will be bringing in experience as well as kids.

Harry Edwards is 25 next season.

Free agents and mature options are available every year. And more so when a club has cap space to purchase them.

We need another mature bigger inside mid to help carry the load and cover injury.

Interesting if Winder ends up back on the list. list

If Barrass does leave, and we certainly hold all the bargaining power given he's in contract. Must be top 10 pick plus something.

This would obviously leave our KPD's light on, so who could we target to provide some cover;

Denver Grainger Barass, pretty much free and would at the very least provide some depth for us. Who knows might get himself right and start to play well.
Jacob Blight, don't know what contract he signed with the mid season draft but if 6 months we could lure him home with a 2 year moderate contract.
Derkson, been reported playing KPD at GWS ressies and doing well.
If we did trade with the dogs I'd be going hard for Busslinger back the other way.
Clarke has a good record at the tigers at picking mature age recruits, surely a few options around the VFL, SANFL or WAFL we could look at?

So is Baker.

Free agents and mature options are available every year. And more so when a club has cap space to purchase them.

We need another mature bigger inside mid to help carry the load and cover injury.

Oh boy is Dev back on the table again? Would be 4th round pick at most for me.

If Barrass does leave, and we certainly hold all the bargaining power given he's in contract. Must be top 10 pick plus something.

This would obviously leave our KPD's light on, so who could we target to provide some cover;

Denver Grainger Barass, pretty much free and would at the very least provide some depth for us. Who knows might get himself right and start to play well.
Jacob Blight, don't know what contract he signed with the mid season draft but if 6 months we could lure him home with a 2 year moderate contract.
Derkson, been reported playing KPD at GWS ressies and doing well.
If we did trade with the dogs I'd be going hard for Busslinger back the other way.
Clarke has a good record at the tigers at picking mature age recruits, surely a few options around the VFL, SANFL or WAFL we could look at?
blight is out of contract at the end of the year as he had a 6 month contract and DGB HAWKS is out of contract he will probably get delisted so a free pickup?

Way too early 2024 Off-season

Free Agency

Sign - English (FA)

*Would also have a Red hot crack at Cummings or Perryman with TB freed up $$ but won’t count this as an in.

Trades
TB + for Hawks (10) and future 2nd and throw in DGB

B Williams for R Garcia

GC pick Trade
Out- 23 and Hawks future 2nd (Uwland draft)
In- 19 and 27
*picks based on FOX FOOTY projected ladder and Saints getting Band 1 for Battle

Pick 19 for Baker

Carroll for 2026 3rd Pick (Walker year for them)

Burgiel for Kaleb Smith*
(Tigers had interest draft year)
Dev for 4th round pick swap

Draft
3- Sid or FOS
10- Travaglia
27- Davis
Match Champion
59/Rookie- Winder

RD1 2025
Hough- H Edwards - Travaglia
Ginbey
- Gov - Baker
Duggan
- Yeo - Maric
Hewett - J Williams (2R) - Ryan
Waterman - Allen
- Cripps
English - Kelly - Reid
Garcia (4th Mid)- Carroll (5thMid)- Hutchinson- Sid/FOS(HBF)- Hunt (W/Back)

Beagles 2025
DGB - Jamieson - Winder
Chesser - Bazzo - K Smith
Davis
- Sheed - Johnston
Brockman
- Darling - Dewar
Champion - A Reid - Long
Flynn - Hall - Dev
Livingstone - Barnett - Cole

*Bold a chance to be on the list in 5 years

Delist/Retired/Traded
TB (T)
B Williams (T)
Rotham (FA)
Trew (D)
L Edwards (D)
JJ (D)
Culley (D)
Petrucelle (D)
Gaff (R)
Burgiel (T)
Rawlinson (D)
Baker (D)
Witherden (D)

Free Agency

Sign - English (FA)

*Would also have a Red hot crack at Cummings or Perryman with TB freed up $$ but won’t count this as an in.

Trades

B Williams for R Garcia

GC pick Trade
In- 19 and 27

Pick 19 for Baker

Burgiel for Kaleb Smith*

Draft
3- Sid or FOS
10- Travaglia
27- Davis
Match Champion
59/Rookie- Winder

RD1 2025
Ginbey
- Gov - Baker
Duggan
- Yeo - Maric
Waterman - Allen
- Cripps
English - Kelly - Reid
Garcia (4th Mid)- Carroll (5thMid)- Hutchinson- Sid/FOS(HBF)
- Hunt (W/Back)

Beagles 2025
DGB - Jamieson - Winder
Davis
- Sheed - Johnston
Brockman
- Darling - Dewar
Champion - A Reid - Long
Flynn - Hall - Dev

Delist/Retired/Traded
TB (T)
B Williams (T)
Rotham (FA)
Trew (D)
L Edwards (D)
JJ (D)
Culley (D)
Petrucelle (D)
Gaff (R)
Burgiel (T)
Rawlinson (D)
Baker (D)
Witherden (D)
bring back winder yes.

STATS: He has improved bring him back
1721869167140.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What if we trade with the Saints? They have a so called war chest so could offer him bulk coin considering they are prob going to lose Battle and their Compo pic could possibly fall after their first?

Then we go in with 2 top 10 picks.
If you were TB, why would you want to go to the Saints? I can understand the Hawks given Mitchell and Hickmont relationships, Sydney as they're challenging for a flag and the Bulldogs may not be that far off either, but playing under Ross the boss with the list the Saints have doesn't sound that appealing... (yes I know they just pantsed us, I was there - still don't rate their list).

If you were TB, why would you want to go to the Saints? I can understand the Hawks given Mitchell and Hickmont relationships, Sydney as they're challenging for a flag and the Bulldogs may not be that far off either, but playing under Ross the boss with the list the Saints have doesn't sound that appealing... (yes I know they just pantsed us, I was there - still don't rate their list).

Might want to move to set himself up with the extra years + coin.

So is Baker.

Tim ENglish is soft as butter, not sure he's the senior player people will look up to.

Baker is a midget and dont rate as a top quality player.

Dev Rob. **** me.

Bringing in mature players isn't the key. Bringing in quality mature players i the key. IF we traded Tommy and Gov went down we'd be in a catastrophic position.

Tim ENglish is soft as butter, not sure he's the senior player people will look up to.

Baker is a midget and dont rate as a top quality player.

Dev Rob. **** me.

Bringing in mature players isn't the key. Bringing in quality mature players i the key. IF we traded Tommy and Gov went down we'd be in a catastrophic position.

Don't care change the names to mature players you prefer. The names are not the point.

The point is if we trade out mature players we can also trade them in to support the kids.

THATs the point.

Just because older players are traded out does not mean the kids won't have mature players to support them.

I think if we were closer to competing English would be locked in to come back. The issue is he'll be looking at us thinking we have another couple of years of pain and he'll have to weigh up whether the extra cash/years are worth going through that shit.

It’s a different pain for a Ruckman though he can still compete and be effective in his position.. A defender or midfielder chasing tail all day that’s a whole world of hurt ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Don't care change the names to mature players you prefer. The names are not the point.

The point is if we trade out mature players we can also trade them in to support the kids.

THATs the point.

Just because older players are traded out does not mean the kids won't have mature players to support them.
Ok. I see what you are saying. But, to bring someone in of equivalent skill/impact you need to send something out of equivalent value as to what you got for the player you sent out (barrass), unless you are thinking we can pick enough up as free agents/cheap?

Otherwise you're just sending out good players and replacing them with worse players which doesnt help at all.

Any chance we could recruit the best & toughest mature aged midfielder in the WAFL/VFL and play them as an enforcer/tagger and onfield leader?

And not shunt them on a flank or wing like we did G Clark…

A team first campaigner to protect the Reid and Kelly types.

Or are the days of these kind of players over?

Free Agency

Sign - English (FA)

Trades

B Williams for R Garcia

GC pick Trade
In- 19 and 27

Pick 19 for Baker

Burgiel for Kaleb Smith*

Draft
3- Sid or FOS
10- Travaglia
27- Davis
Match Champion
59/Rookie- Winder

RD1 2025
Ginbey
- Gov - Baker
Duggan
- Yeo - Maric
Waterman - Allen
- Cripps
English - Kelly - Reid
Garcia (4th Mid)- Carroll (5thMid)- Hutchinson- Sid/FOS(HBF)- Hunt (W/Back)

Beagles 2025
DGB - Jamieson - Winder
Davis
- Sheed - Johnston
Brockman
- Darling - Dewar
Champion - A Reid - Long
Flynn - Hall - Dev

Delist/Retired/Traded
TB (T)
B Williams (T)
Rotham (FA)
Trew (D)
L Edwards (D)
JJ (D)
Culley (D)
Petrucelle (D)
Gaff (R)
Burgiel (T)
Rawlinson (D)
Baker (D)
Witherden (D)

I think Petch is contracted for 2025?

Not opposed to trading him if he is keen for a change, not a heap of value but list spots and salary room are still worth a lot to us.

Murmurs around Ryan being out the door won’t stop. Not dissimilar to TB in that if the price is right we should 100% facilitate and wish them well.

B Williams, I think most here either want to see him move on or expect he will want to. Gut feel is that he thinks he is a fwd/ruck and may want to stay and prove it. Sadly I don’t see how that increases his value from where it is today - as JWilliams is starting to show almost enough to justify himself as the backup ruck so Bailey could well be playing WAFL next year if English joins.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Petch is contracted for 2025?

Not opposed to trading him if he is keen for a change, not a heap of value but list spots and salary room are still worth a lot to us.

Murmurs around Ryan being out the door won’t stop. Not dissimilar to TB in that if the price is right we should 100% facilitate and wish them well.

B Williams, I think most here either want to see him move on or expect he will want to. Gut feel is that he thinks he is a fwd/ruck and may want to stay and prove it. Sadly I don’t see how that increases his value from where it is today - as JWilliams is starting to show almost enough to justify himself as the backup ruck so Bailey could well be playing WAFL next year if English joins.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah if you get something for Petch do it or throw him in the Hawks/Dogs or Suns deal.

View attachment 2058028
yep, its going to be melbourne, carlton, norf decade plus of pain ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back