List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
I sort of feel like Ryan up the ground has saved his career, sort of.

He looks more up n about lately but still goes quiet.

*edit... sorry maybe not career but given another string to his bow and also been seen by oppo eyes

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Seems we're willing to let a 29yo Barrass go if the price is right. Good move all round if someone willing to offer 4 years with his back issues.
Reckon we'll come to the party and regig Watermans contract long term. He's a great age at 25, can play deep forward, high hf and pinch on the wing with his running power. Great versatility.
Pyke would know the family well and work through a fair deal imo...
Peos playing the game.

And were not pushing Oscar out the door people so ease up. A lot of teams go years unable to draft or trade for 2 top line KPFs to their detriment. The fact we've got OA, Snake and a few young talented kids coming through in JW and Archer is a massive plus!

On SM-A336E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hit it on the head here perfectly. 100% agree

I honestly have no issues with both Barrass and Waterman leaving.

As long we get what is owed then it helps us along the rebuild.

It also really adds to amount of cash we can use to bully RFA/UFA 2025/2026 front loaded and even peaking players interest and closing trades like Warner, Curtin, Garcia, Sheldrick, Walters, Jones, Collard, Tholstrup, Hardeman and Adams.

briztoon What do you see as Brisbane doing with trading and draft points postulating?" And for the sake of this discussion, I would assume the points system stays the same for 2024 but NGA players can be matched by all clubs.

With the Lions recent surge and tipped to be top 2, that is likely to get your boys to another big dance meaning pick 17 or 18. This pick will drops back at least 1 if Battle goes as FA to Hawks and if English comes to us. In other words it is a pick around 20.

My reading is that the talent is very even around the 15 to 30 range, I cannot see a club coming that hard for your R1. In other words no massive premium. Your club's other picks are your R3 and Hawks R4. In terms of points, your current standing prior to push backs tally is to 1,388.

Assuming Levi is bid on at 1/2/3 and Marshall at low 20's, you are going to need to add at least 1,000 points to the kitty. In other words that would be your likely F1 (fair to assume the team will finish again high in 2025).

No obvious high value trade out options. Gardner, Tunstill and Dev individually would in all reality only get you something in the R3 or later.

Interested to hear you thoughts on this one.
I believe the Levi bid more likely comes after pick 4 or 5, but that's neither here nor there.

I'm hoping whatever the new rule changes are, they continue to allow teams to carry a deficit in to the following season.

Unless something comes out of the blue, I doubt we get any/many points from trading players.

Obviously our current first round pick is up for sale, and I'm looking at Richmonds stack of late second and third round picks. Especially if they load up on earlier picks if they trade out a couple of players.

I imagine our future second round pick, and possibly later future picks, are available for trade. I believe we'll want to protect our future first for an academy kid next year.

So prioritise matching Levi, take a second round deficit in to 2025 on matching Marshall.

Also not massively fussed if Barrass and Waterman leave.

Barrass will hurt but could hold high value that will help with the rebuild.

Waterman I doubt will ever play as well as he played for that short period of time at the start of this season. If someone is willing to trade based on that then we should take a good deal and run - he is not a star and never will be.

Also not massively fussed if Barrass and Waterman leave.

Barrass will hurt but could hold high value that will help with the rebuild.

Waterman I doubt will ever play as well as he played for that short period of time at the start of this season. If someone is willing to trade based on that then we should take a good deal and run - he is not a star and never will be.
Get ****ed mate, Waterman is very obviously a star.

Bunch of flogs who are to stubborn to admit they were wrong.

If we do have player/s leave for any decent picks that I would assume that that would probably guarantee the vAFL says no to any priority pick assistance we may request. Just strikes me as their style.

If we apply for draft assistance, the decision on that application would be made in the week prior to the GF so whatever trades we make will have no bearing on what, if any, assistance we get

If we apply for draft assistance, the decision on that application would be made in the week prior to the GF so whatever trades we make will have no bearing on what, if any, assistance we get
Does it come before does it? Still wouldnt put it past them to say no regards on that whim

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have to be very careful not to rip the last little bit of culture out of our team.

I think we can afford to trade one senior player but not two.

Barrass is the most logical due to age and value.

HUGE year coming up for Clarke and co
Agreed. If we're playing fantasy football you sell high and trade both everyday of the week. But there's an intangible impact on the group which is hard to measure. I suspect TB goes and waterman stays. Shipping both would be very un-west coast like but would certainly have us getting very aroused pre draft.

Get a grip Shueymum.

He’s had his Tom McDonald 2018 season and he’s already back to being regular Jake Waterman again…
Just kicked 3 again on the weekend is still third in goals per game average. Also is still gut running and getting up the ground at a high level with an elite work rate. Not sure how on earth that’s regular Jake Waterman assuming you’re referencing pre-2024.
Meme Reaction GIF

Last edited:
I think keeping Barrass and trading waterman is the better play... As long as we can get similar value picks.

We don't have the depth in defence to let a gun back out of the door... Unless we get a back in via trade somehow

Ridiculous to even compare the two, Waterman has been a top 3 forward in the comp this year with a horrid midfield. Tom McDonald was above average in a premiership team.
Melbourne average inside 50’s per game 2018 - just under 60

West Coast average inside 50’s per game 2024 - just under 46

Lmao

We have 12 uncontracted players, even if you re-sign 4 we are still cutting 8

NoNameListContracted to
3​
Gaff, AndrewMain
2024​
16​
Edwards, LukeMain
2024​
23​
Witherden, AlexMain
2024​
31​
Jones, JamaineMain
2024​
35​
Rotham, JoshMain
2024​
42​
Edwards, HarryMain
2024​
45​
Burgiel, CobyMain
2024​
26​
Trew, ZaneRookie (A)
2024​
36​
Rawlinson, LochRookie (A)
2024​
38​
Baker, JordynRookie (A)
2024​
39​
Livingstone, CoenRookie (B)
2024​
49​
Culley, JaiRookie (A)
2024​
Unless of course we trade out or delist contracted players??? Which will more than likely happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back