List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree he would be a very tempting pick up for us, if Draper is gone.
Shame we haven't got to see more of Sam this year.

I think he and Harley would be a very effective one - two tandem team, both have real grunt, HR better on the outside and has more flare, but SL is harder than a cats head and wins most one on one contests in close. SL would take a lot of the heat and opposition heavy attention, away from HR.

So a Yeo replacement then! Perfect. 100% we also need that balanced mid to compliment Harley and Yeo/Lalor.

Even with TB trade, it's hard to see how we get Lalor, balanced mid, and trevaglia. The decision might be between the balanced mid and trevaglia depending on what our first selection is. If we go Draper, FOS, then trevaglia firms as our second selection but if we go Lalor, then Lindsay comes into calculations.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

What are people's thoughts on Barrass post-season?

Serious move or just jockeying for a contract renegotiation or media making it up?

Being under contract surely club's will have to pay overs.

(Sorry if already discussed)
It's real. His sister and brother both moving to Melbourne.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

From the Herald Sun

BULLDOGS’ MILLION-DOLLAR QUESTION

This was not a good day for a man vying for a bumper contract extension. Tim English was belted in the ruck by Adelaide’s Reilly O’Brien 55 hit-outs to 16 on Sunday night as the Western Bulldogs botched their chance to sew up a finals spot.

Instead, if the Dogs topple North Melbourne as expected this weekend, it will come down to knocking off GWS Giants in Ballarat for a top-eight berth on Sunday in Round 24.

Good thing Dogs’ fans are used to wild rides as the club’s recent rough run in South Australia continued notching up their fifth-straight defeat across the border with the loss to the Crows. It left the door ajar for Carlton and Essendon to sneak in to finals, and it would be an all-out disaster if the Dogs lost to North this weekend after going down to West Coast late last year. And 9.18 was an horrific performance in front of the sticks.

English booted a goal late but he had a poor one as he weighs up his future, including a free agency offer from West Coast. The Dogs were one of the hottest teams in the league after a strong month toppling Sydney, Melbourne and Geelong, but they hit the skids against the Crows, pulling the handbrake at the wrong time of the year.

Adelaide spoiled the September party and will head into the Showdown desperate to cause an upset. The results mean that in Round 24 if the Dogs beat GWS, Carlton will know exactly how much they need to beat St Kilda by at 3.20pm on Sunday to make the eight and leapfrog the Dogs. What a dream result for the AFL as we get set for a dramatic finish.

So Dogs beating Nth and Carlton beating us are both forgone conclusions?

With the injuries Carlton have and our uptick in form it is absolutely game on.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dogs should slaughter North but we are a massive chance against the Blues. If Blues win I think Freo has to beat GWS away just to make the 8.

I understand Barrass has three or so years to go on his contract so we have all the power, however I think many will be disappointed by what Hawthorn offer us for him. It will be a straight swap for their first rounder at the very best you'd think, barring a decent finals run. Reckon we end up keeping him.

Counter argument is how could you justify handing over a clear B22 KPD (would play in every side as a walk up start) for a early/mid teens pick?

Guys like Ratugolea and Zirk-thatcher were valued around early/mid 20’s. Both have improved at new clubs, but neither is anywhere near TB.

Those 2, on form at the time of trading (not current improved form) would have formed steak knives attached to a 1R for TB. Hence the 1R + 2R expectation.

We are a big chance, Have to be.

I reckon if the Blues miss finals, watch them come for TB in a trade. Would be hard to get him to move away from the Hawks if he has made up his mind but They’ll hope his connection with Jnr Gov and Cripps might help sway him. Salary might be their issue but they offered Hayward decent money so I’m sure they could find it if needed. Plus that might come into an advantage for us.

Win and top 10 pick might still be a thing.

Would it look bad if we lose Barrass because we don't want to renegotiate his contract, but then pay a chunk of his salary so we can ask for more at the trade table?
I suspect the convo would've been fairly honest regarding improving our draft position and he appears open to moving anyway.

Can't remember which pod I was watching but it was either Cornes or Morris who said that supposedly, list managers have been told that WCE are open to their players being approached for draft capital, other than Reid, Duggan and Allen being off-limits(I also presume this includes first/second year players as well), so I doubt there'll be much in the way of bad blood there.

Would it look bad if we lose Barrass because we don't want to renegotiate his contract, but then pay a chunk of his salary so we can ask for more at the trade table?
At the end of the day nobody cares.

The system is too complex for the average punter. Driving from down south yesterday, most fans think English requires draft picks.

We need to do what is best for us and if that means paying a little extra to get better quality picks you do it. The one who can't complain is Barrass, he committed to a contract that he isnt happy with. You can't change the goal post 1 or 2 years in.

Shit happens

Last edited:
IMO no, because we will still be in the black overall if we are paying 100-200k.

However I hope we actually offered TB a 50k pay rise per annum and not something like 25k or less. That way if he wants to make bank its not realistic to expect 100k pay rises and best for everyone to move on for a net gain.

Not really, we are at this point because all 3 parties Eagles, TB and the third club know it’s about business. Dollars and draft picks.

I suspect the convo would've been fairly honest regarding improving our draft position and he appears open to moving anyway.

Can't remember which pod I was watching but it was either Cornes or Morris who said that supposedly, list managers have been told that WCE are open to their players being approached for draft capital, other than Reid, Duggan and Allen being off-limits(I also presume this includes first/second year players as well), so I doubt there'll be much in the way of bad blood there.

Yeah it was Tom Morris on Crunch Time. He said something to the effect of the Eagles are letting clubs known that other than Duggan, Allen (the captains) and Harley, that everyone's on the table to be gotten apparently to jumpstart the rebuild.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dogs should slaughter North but we are a massive chance against the Blues. If Blues win I think Freo has to beat GWS away just to make the 8.

Yep.

This week's game v Blues we will have a fair few Freo fans dry reaching during the game as they cheer us on. :cool: :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

This season is what it is but watching oppo supporters emotional roller coaster ride this season has been entertaining.

Pies and Blues supporters not happy at all.

Freo on the brink.

Essendon doing what Essendon does.

Last edited:
We are a big chance, Have to be.

I reckon if the Blues miss finals, watch them come for TB in a trade. Would be hard to get him to move away from the Hawks if he has made up his mind but They’ll hope his connection with Jnr Gov and Cripps might help sway him. Salary might be their issue but they offered Hayward decent money so I’m sure they could find it if needed. Plus that might come into an advantage for us.

Win and top 10 pick might still be a thing.
Good call.

The club should just tell TB, "we're going to take the best deal from whatever club.
If you don't like it, you're staying".

Apologies in advance - I don't know if we have any influence over what recruiters do but I'm posting this around to attempt to ensure that Levi doesn't end up sliding too far. Keep the pressure on. I'm sure you're lurking around here somewhere briztoon !

----

What an incredible debut performance by Levi. He stepped up to VFL level for the first time and played probably his best game for the season, putting a marker out there for the rest of the draft pool to try and reach. He was close to BOG, certainly Brisbane's best and most productive midfielder. Prolific at the coal face winning 11 clearances and spreading with his typical elite work rate and endurance to find a stack of the footy outside the contest, even slotting a sublime running goal from the boundary. Compared to his brother Will, Levi brings a more natural physicality and that was on clear display here.

tom morris making things up as he goes. absolute nothing segment.

tm: everyone is available..
king: even mcgovern.
tm: errhh maybe not from wce perspective, but im sure if you offer mcgov lots of money and a contract he will want to go.

yeah no shit. same for any other play in the league playing for any other team.

Good call.

The club should just tell TB, "we're going to take the best deal from whatever club.
If you don't like it, you're staying".
Yeah gotta keep everyone happy though including managers and soon to be former players. We could help with paying some $$ to help match if that’s his deciding factor.

There will be new buyers for TB from the fall out of missing finals and not winning finals. Blues and Hawks get TB would be huge for both.

Apologies in advance - I don't know if we have any influence over what recruiters do but I'm posting this around to attempt to ensure that Levi doesn't end up sliding too far. Keep the pressure on. I'm sure you're lurking around here somewhere briztoon !

----

What an incredible debut performance by Levi. He stepped up to VFL level for the first time and played probably his best game for the season, putting a marker out there for the rest of the draft pool to try and reach. He was close to BOG, certainly Brisbane's best and most productive midfielder. Prolific at the coal face winning 11 clearances and spreading with his typical elite work rate and endurance to find a stack of the footy outside the contest, even slotting a sublime running goal from the boundary. Compared to his brother Will, Levi brings a more natural physicality and that was on clear display here.

Look the apologies in advance is really nice, but you really didn't say that you come in peace.

Don't want to loose muddy jnr.
Hope the handshake deals not true, would hate to shaft TB, just comes across as a top bloke and a really good mentor to have around the young players.

I would be surprised if TB was a Wce player next year..Perhaps we may be at a stage where he doesn’t play the season out ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Is Oliver ranked around top 10?

Ive seen him as a late 1st / early 2nd.

Would bwe be reaching with 10 or do we get another later 1st to land him?

Its why multiple picks say 3 in the top 20 and a couple more in the 20 to 30's is so attractive. Just need to be carefull as a bid on Champion could come in the 20s.
It is that sort of draft that says he could be anything from 15 to 25 (and I am ignoring NGA and FS).

I have him on my board at 20 - PM Bangers has him at 17, Ed Pascoe has him at 21 as does Twomey.

Hamish Davis would be a similar option and a likely 20 to 30 pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back