List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this has been published here?

I'm just not getting all this Bailey Williams is a liability talk, Xeri is going to go All Australian this year, HO's were 33 to 29. Xeri racked up more stats as is to be expected but his role is slightly different. Bailey's game was fine. Took maybe our best contested mark for 3rd week in a row, had 2 goal assists [Trew, Darling goals I think] and 5 inside 50's and fought it out all day. He's improving every week, is our most durable player, and the youngest #1 ruck in the league. He is absolutely fine and if every midfielder we select puts in the same amount of effort he does then most days we are going to win the midfield battle against most sides. He doesn't need to be Nic Naitanui or Dean Cox.

View attachment 2078389
Tell me you didn't watch the match without telling me you didn't watch the match....

Its a very weird space to be in really, not just TB and Gaff but we need to delist Witherden and Rotham who are both probably on triple what we're paying the under 20's on their first contract, and ideally we'd move on Darling and or Cripps as well who'd be a tier above those guys. Allen, Gov, Yeo, Kelly all good on their deals, other than a huge pay increase for Waterman [which is deserved] and upgrading Trew to the main list and paying him a proper wage its all very interesting. Feel like there's going to be some really flawed list decisions made just because of this situation where we have no players in that middle age bracket earring those 350-600k a year deals.
You front load the shit out of Waterman/Trew whoever else is up for a contract renewal/re-negotiation, with them declining/flat over rest of contract so can pay Reid all the money when he comes up.

I’d also love to get pick 6 or 7 for Barrass. You could then go

3 - FOS
6/7 - Lalor

Even if FOS ends up on the HBF at AFL level & doesn’t make it as a full time mid you still end up with Lalor. We need more weapons off the backline with good footskills, run & power. Fixes a couple of areas of need at the same time.

Would then focus on smalls & talls later in the draft.

You front load the shit out of Waterman/Trew whoever else is up for a contract renewal/re-negotiation, with them declining/flat over rest of contract so can pay Reid all the money when he comes up.
Front load Trew? He's still 50/50 to even be on the list next year, he would take minimum wage and be thankful.

He's not undersized for a start, he's about the same hight at most of the ruckman in the league. Jack Williams has had a great season and has for small stints looked good in the ruck, but we don't exactly have multiple seasons of him playing as #1 ruck to go on. Bailey is taking near 90% of ruck contests still. And to say Bailey has no more improvement in him is just being a hater imo.

Since he was the last player we faced and the likely AA nom this year, let's compare Bailey to Xeri. They are the same hight, Xerri is a year older so I'll put their stats up comparing Xeri in 2020 to Williams 2021, Xeri 2021 to Williams 2022 etc. It's pretty obvious this is a breakout year for Xeri and if you track their careers year to year from 21-24 Williams is looks the better player. It shouldn't be much of a surprise that a ruckman can play his best football once he's past 25 and there is absolutely no evidence Bailey isn't going to be a better player at 25-30 years than he has been at 20-24.

2020 X v 2021 W
View attachment 2078609View attachment 2078610

2021 X v 2022 W

View attachment 2078611View attachment 2078612

2022 X v 2023 W
View attachment 2078613View attachment 2078614

2023 X v 2024 W

View attachment 2078617View attachment 2078618

There was one a time where people understood that ruckman take some time. Objectively speaking, Bailey Williams in his 24th year on earth has served an AFL apprenticeship that is arguably superior to what Tristan Xeri had put up at the same age, and if not superior then certainly extremely comparable. I'd say we give Bailey just a tad more time before trading him out for peanuts.

Also worth pointing out that since Schofield took over his stats say he's gone up a level so whatever the reason for that its probably worth exploring further too.

Edit: Just a note on Hitouts, if you look at the averages Williams is down this year compared to last year for Hitouts. His totals for free's for and against were also a fair bit bigger for last year as well. Essentially what has happened here is not that he's gotten worse at winning taps, its that he's actually better at a centre bounce than a throw in and Eagles had something ridiculous like 2600 points kicked against last year vs about 2000 so far this year. ie, he attended maybe 100 more centre bounces in 2023.

Edit: Also, unlike Williams in his first 4 years of football Xeri never had more than 20 possessions. His career high of 30 on Saturday was a career first, beating a 25 from a couple weeks ago. 19 of those possessions were handballs and clearly North play a much higher possession game than us [~25% more disposals] given their dozen or so first round picks running through the middle and Xeri becomes part of that link up play.
I respect your analysis but I think your forgetting that Xerri played almost all his ruck minutes alongside Goldy and it’d skew those stats pretty hard

Great Murphy Reid was the best out of the tier 2 mids!!!!! He pure class with elite skills

Onto the combine where it's make a break for the tier 2 mids to turn our heads

Just a small piece to pass on to you guys. The Eagles have no Interest in Murphy Reid, he is probably the biggest flight risk since Bruhn and JHF.
Based on what?

Please answer y/n for each question

1) Sam McClure.

2) You’re friends with the family

3) Your best mates mate knows hls dad

4) Just a hunch from a former interview so it’s now bigfooty gospel

5) You are the big footy inside sauce for the dogs board. If yes Plz tick
bbq or
tomato

6) It’s well know he still breast feeds

8) He’s scared of getting an awesome nickname like “Whopper” if he comes West.

9) He doesn’t want to share the spotlight with his triplet brothers Harley and Archer even though they have different birth dates.

10) Or all of the above

Plenty of players who are flight risks at draft time end up being let downs or having issues.

Bruhn is very meh

Bailey Smith - need I say more?

Archie Perkins - playing VFL.

I reckon the JHF wanting home stuff is overblown. May have been very different if he didn't head to North.

Best to know now so we possibly dodge the bullet.

Just a small piece to pass on to you guys. The Eagles have no Interest in Murphy Reid, he is probably the biggest flight risk since Bruhn and JHF.
Reid a flight risk. Where have I heard this before? :think:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to be careful to control the narrative with Barass and make sure it is clearly stated that he will only be traded for the right price and if that price is not met then we will happily welcome him back. Set a reasonable price and then say its up to the Hawks, or he's returning.

We will need to fight the narrative from the Hawks and (likely) his manager saying he wants out and doesnt want to come back. Victorian media will likely assist Hawks here.
The 7 & 12 for Rioli is a perfect example of the cheerleading rhetoric masked as analysis from Victoria. Richmond should be doing backflips if they secured him for either one of those picks.

Tom Gross is as brave, tough and hard working as any player in this draft pool. In a year less stacked with top end midfield talent he would be getting a lot more attention, but as it stands he's unfortunately flying well under the radar. Wherever he lands on draft night, he's destined to become an immediate fan favourite and have everyone asking "how did this kid slide so far?"

We really need a bona fide midfielder with our top selection.

I'm hoping Richmond take Jagga and seeing him rated at the top (excluding Ashcroft) makes me think Twomey is aware that he is their top choice.

I'm worried about O'Sullivan, he should end up as a classy player but with the year he's had the risk seems too high, and there are question marks surrounding his viability as a long-term mid anyway. Good chance he ends up as more of a flanker.
Smillie could be the best of the lot but he could also be a bit of a flop and he isn't a midfield certainty either.
Lalor is a wildcard selection but perhaps better with the Barrass pick if he lasts as he's more of a FWD/MID.
Murphy Reid may be a flight risk by the sounds of it too...

So that leaves Langford and Draper! Can't go too wrong with either of them and one of them will be available without question. Hopefully with the Barrass selection if that eventuates we can then draft Travaglia or Bo Allan as defenders with midfield potential to compliment Langford/Draper. Hotton is tempting with the Barrass selection too, he was popping off before his ACL injury.

I reckon the JHF wanting home stuff is overblown. May have been very different if he didn't head to North.

Ken Jeong Yes GIF by The Masked Singer

We really need a bona fide midfielder with our top selection.

I'm hoping Richmond take Jagga and seeing him rated at the top (excluding Ashcroft) makes me think Twomey is aware that he is their top choice.

I'm worried about O'Sullivan, he should end up as a classy player but with the year he's had the risk seems too high, and there are question marks surrounding his viability as a long-term mid anyway. Good chance he ends up as more of a flanker.
Smillie could be the best of the lot but he could also be a bit of a flop and he isn't a midfield certainty either.
Lalor is a wildcard selection but perhaps better with the Barrass pick if he lasts as he's more of a FWD/MID.
Murphy Reid may be a flight risk by the sounds of it too...

So that leaves Langford and Draper! Can't go too wrong with either of them and one of them will be available without question. Hopefully with the Barrass selection if that eventuates we can then draft Travaglia or Bo Allan as defenders with midfield potential to compliment Langford/Draper. Hotton is tempting with the Barrass selection too, he was popping off before his ACL injury.
Hotton I think will continue to slide. He’s a talent but just like Brayden George in his draft year clubs will be hesitant to take a kid coming off an ACL. George ended up at pick 26.

Hotton I think will continue to slide. He’s a talent but just like Brayden George in his draft year clubs will be hesitant to take a kid coming off an ACL. George ended up at pick 26.
****, just looked up George and saw he had another ACL last month. That sucks.

Would you happen to know who the Eagles might have an interest in at pick 3.

Also, is Jagga a flight risk as well??
Finn O'Sullivan is the one, followed by Draper.
In that next bracket you have Tobie Travaglia, Sam Lalor, Harvey Langford and Xavier Lindsay.
Later in the piece their are guys like pheonix Hargrave, Day-Wicks and Zak Johnson.

Based on what?

Please answer y/n for each question

1) Sam McClure.

2) You’re friends with the family

3) Your best mates mate knows hls dad

4) Just a hunch from a former interview so it’s now bigfooty gospel

5) You are the big footy inside sauce for the dogs board. If yes Plz tick
bbq or
tomato

6) It’s well know he still breast feeds

8) He’s scared of getting an awesome nickname like “Whopper” if he comes West.

9) He doesn’t want to share the spotlight with his triplet brothers Harley and Archer even though they have different birth dates.

10) Or all of the above
I won't reply to each but I will say if you feel inclined you can check on the dogs board to see my history with trade and draft Intel, I come in good faith and won't pester if you have differing views on the information I pass on. The info I get is either from a couple of people at a few Vic clubs or scouts that I have met whilst attending CTL and VFL.

I thought maybe those out West might appreciate some information from Vic way that doesn't have the media spin on it but if posters prefer me to browse and not post that's fine too.

Finn O'Sullivan is the one, followed by Draper.
In that next bracket you have Tobie Travaglia, Sam Lalor, Harvey Langford and Xavier Lindsay.
Later in the piece their are guys like pheonix Hargrave, Day-Wicks and Zak Johnson.

I won't reply to each but I will say if you feel inclined you can check on the dogs board to see my history with trade and draft Intel, I come in good faith and won't pester if you have differing views on the information I pass on. The info I get is either from a couple of people at a few Vic clubs or scouts that I have met whilst attending CTL and VFL.

I thought maybe those out West might appreciate some information from Vic way that doesn't have the media spin on it but if posters prefer me to browse and not post that's fine too.
Always welcome if you have genuine insight to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back