List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Will come down to who they'd want more. Not impossible get all 3 deals done though.

Personally hope they balls it up and Draper is available at 3.

Hmmm do they sacrifice curtin….get Draper in luko in. Crows fans too distracted to notice.

People think GC will just dump picks for nothing. They still need points.

WST spoiler re Judd ;)

On the front bar and why he choose the Blues over the others. Thought they could have the same sort of trajectory as he had at the Eagles as a team. Didn’t want to just jump on a team that’s already built.

Need that sort of thought from players and coaches in the AFL. (Also media who say why would player X go to team Y when they are 3 years away from finals) yes Judd did achieve a lot already so was less motivation for him to go to the top team but love his thinking.

Love Juddy but I call bullshit. He went to a side he assumed was stacked with young top end talent assuming that when they developed he’d be looking at success.

Keep in mind prior to Judd arriving at Carlton they had drafted

Pick 2 (2003) Andrew Walker
Pick 9 (2004) Jordan Russell
Pick 1 (2005) Marc Murphy
Pick 20 (2005) Paul Bower
Pick 1 (2006) Bryce Gibbs
Pick 17 (2006) Shawn Hampson
Pick 19 (2006) Shaun Grigg
Pick 1 (2007) Matthew Kreuzer

That’s 8 top 20 picks prior to him arriving with three number 1’s three years in a row.

Now add in veterans like Brendan Fevola, Eddie Betts, Heath Scotland, Nick Stevens, Jarrad Waite…..

Juddy thought he’d be the cherry on top but it might take a year or so for the youth to flourish. He wasn’t walking into a side that needed a rebuild, he thought he was walking into a future dynasty.

Love Juddy but I call bullshit. He went to a side he assumed was stacked with young top end talent assuming that when they developed he’d be looking at success.

That’s 8 top 20 picks prior to him arriving with three number 1’s three years in a row.

Now add in veterans like Brendan Fevola, Eddie Betts, Heath Scotland, Nick Stevens, Jarrad Waite…..

Juddy thought he’d be the cherry on top but it might take a year or so for the youth to flourish. He wasn’t walking into a side that needed a rebuild, he thought he was walking into a future dynasty.
They still did finish 2nd bottom? With only 4 wins.

Probably the same Trac picking North if he left this year

And that all worked out exactly as we hoped.

Gerryne not in the 30 either ! Want him at 23 ! Our next KPD
I really don't understand this. Gerryne is a lumbering junk, he's really too heavy and lacking in explosive athleticism to play KPP at AFL level.

A man playing against boys who lacks any translatable position at AFL.

So a couple of things on that point:
1. Before this game I'd been chatting to James at a Pioneers game and he confirmed that he'd never played the role of defender prior to midway through this season (i.e. after the first round of the Champs). He was then thrown back for a couple of games for the Pioneers before subsequent Country matches. Therefore, I'm not surprised he's still learning the caper;
2. of the five goals Armstrong kicked he did kick 4 on Barrat (his final goal was on Matt Whitlock), however, of those four goals one was based on a very soft free kick where he simply lost position in the pack and the umpire (IMO) misjudged the contest. Two of the remaining goals Armstrong marked in space due to Barrat's Country teammates turning over the ball just outside their back 50, one of which, after Barrat took a good intercept mark deep in the back 50m (16 minutes into the 2nd quarter) and he kicked to Lindsay in space only for Lindsay to turn the ball over and the Metro boys chip inside to Armstrong. When play is immediately turned over around the 50m arc it is unsurprising that a new defender might be caught out of position.
So whilst this game was not great for Barrat I don't think it is the best indicator of what he can produce down back once settled there. And as indicated before I would think that he is close to the best contested mark at Talent League level (he is 2nd for total marks with 70 marks over 10 matches, one behind McInerney from the Knights who has played 13 games).
Outside that metro game I thought he looked really good. Love that he's only just started plating there, shows plenty to work with for the future.

Hopefully can grow a few cms too

I'm sure the out of the salary cap money for being a 'Visy ambassador' didn't hurt much either

I'm sure the out of the salary cap money for being a 'Visy ambassador' didn't hurt much either

“Enviromental” ambassador Clanger…

It’s a huge calling.

As a matter of fact I hear Juddy was personally responsible for removing plastic bags from Princess Park and replacing them with brown paper bags which he was very fond of.

Get Gold Coast involved

WCE
OUT - Barrass, 59
IN - 6, 47

Hawthorn
OUT - 10, F2
IN - Barrass

Gold Coast
OUT - 6, 47
IN - 10, 59, F2

I imagine we would want Hawthorn's F2 more than a low pick upgrade but that's one way of getting a better pick back for Barrass.
Not the worst, I think you'd have to remove the swap of 47 for 59 though, Gold Coast may be hesitant to even do 6 for 10 & F2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel with Adelaide wanting lukosious and now neale-bullen it will be hard to keep their first .

I feel that GC will want to get in front of a Lombard bid even if it means they swap lukosious + bulldogs first for pick 4 .

Then GC can trade 8 + 20 for rioli and late picks to match Lombard.
If I'm Adelaide there's no way I'm trading or splitting 1R pick for Jack Watts Lukosious. He's been underwhelming. They also need mids not forwards.
We'd riot if West Coast did that in the same situation

If we get Hawks R1 & thier R2 tied to Pies for TB, I'd want:
Pick 3 - Draper then FOS then Langford
Pick 12ish - Travaglia then Lindsay then Hotton
Pick 23 - Best of the rest & depends who we've already taken but Berry if he slid, otherwise maybe one of Moraes, Oliver, Hynes whoever makes it that far
Pick 27 - KPD
Pick 59 - Match Champion bid
Pick 77 (likely into pick in 50s) - Best available future superstar

If we get Hawks R1 & thier R2 tied to Pies for TB, I'd want:
Pick 3 - Draper then FOS then Langford
Pick 12ish - Travaglia then Lindsay then Hotton
Pick 23 - Best of the rest & depends who we've already taken but Berry if he slid, otherwise maybe one of Moraes, Oliver, Hynes whoever makes it that far
Pick 27 - KPD
Pick 59 - Match Champion bid
Pick 77 (likely into pick in 50s) - Best available future superstar
I think I’d prefer Langford at first and Lindsay at second but I don’t think you’d go wrong with your plan

Hmmm do they sacrifice curtin….get Draper in luko in. Crows fans too distracted to notice.

People think GC will just dump picks for nothing. They still need points.
GC traded well last year none of the stupid GC getting ripped off of old . Maybe something to do with hardwick coming in .
They are in the prime position of getting a pick before the Lombard bid using lukosious , having enough for rioli and keeping enough points to get Lombard.

I really don't understand this. Gerryne is a lumbering junk, he's really too heavy and lacking in explosive athleticism to play KPP at AFL level.

I have seen him twice live this year at colts and watched his champs games and I just don't see him as lumbering in fact I was surprised how well he moves for a big guy .

He gets separation on the leed and is great below his knees for a 2m unit .

He is great at collecting the ball in tight , knows where to run to link up , great over head and a fierce competitor.

Guess we will see his combine results soon anyway

I know people are desperate for one of these top 3 mids but my god I'd die for Adelaide to swap picks with North so they could get Draper and then we take Trainor at 3. North would have to take another mid or trade out of the top 10, so we then offer them Barrass pick and future first for pick 4 and they'd be compelled to take it but pride would prevent them from doing so. :tearsofjoy:

I want a Gov replacement who actually plays as 3rd tall quarterback type and as West Coast tragic I just can't bear to see a top 10 ranked defender ever picked by another club. I'm fine with using the Barrass pick as the midfield options, maybe Bo Allen around there or someone who like Hewitt who isn't seen so much as a ready made. Don't really think we are have set this list up for the sort of game time a top 3 midfield pick is going to want straight off the bat, whereas Trainor can probably play from round one next year and represents something we are truly missing and an early teens mid can do a bit of proper in position WAFL work while we enjoy the twilight of Yeo-Kelly.
We don't need Trainor.

We needs mids.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Take the risk he doesn't get drafted and then rookie or Let him get drafted to another club and develop, and if any good, go get him 5 yrs when our finals window opens. I don't get why there is any talk of taking any tall key position players in the next 2 drafts. We need elite runners, mids, ball users, and speed.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

For all the Carroll talk, can’t really find much either way on him from the Blues board.

Decent size, 22 times per game at VFL level over his career (27 per game this year). Good enough to be near the Carlton squad (sub seven times which is annoying).

Obviously their midfield is a lot stronger than ours, but why would he be a delisted free agent and not someone they’d try to squeeze a third/fourth out of given he’s 21 and his numbers say very clearly an AFL list calibre guy.

Two father sons and trying to find the missing part of a flag list.

They need the list spots.

I know people are desperate for one of these top 3 mids but my god I'd die for Adelaide to swap picks with North so they could get Draper and then we take Trainor at 3. North would have to take another mid or trade out of the top 10, so we then offer them Barrass pick and future first for pick 4 and they'd be compelled to take it but pride would prevent them from doing so. :tearsofjoy:

I want a Gov replacement who actually plays as 3rd tall quarterback type and as West Coast tragic I just can't bear to see a top 10 ranked defender ever picked by another club. I'm fine with using the Barrass pick as the midfield options, maybe Bo Allen around there or someone who like Hewitt who isn't seen so much as a ready made. Don't really think we are have set this list up for the sort of game time a top 3 midfield pick is going to want straight off the bat, whereas Trainor can probably play from round one next year and represents something we are truly missing and an early teens mid can do a bit of proper in position WAFL work while we enjoy the twilight of Yeo-Kelly.
That would be a massive NO from me. Do your due diligence on Trainor first, then come back and tell us what you really think of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back