List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of the hour Will Schofield was on 6PR tonight, when asked about the Barass situation his opinion was that it was all on the Eagles, that Tommy was "having the rug pulled out from under him" and that it was essentially all the Eagles doing that he was leaving, and that he should be entitled to ask for more coin and he deserves it.

It's seemed a bit much, my unpopular opinion is that I'm not a huge fan of players signing contracts and then when they play well expect the contract to increased in dollar value - it's a contract for a reason and they signed it. I am however a fan of the club recognising great form and rewarding the player with a pay increase.

Secondly, him being pushed out as if he's some sort of victim is pretty gross. Just a poor narrative to put out there.

Personally I'm not keen on seeing him go, but also understand he can generate some currency and as he won't be around for our future flag pushes.

I guess I'm trying to say I'm not entirely happy with the situation and how it's playing out after hearing what Schofield had to say on the radio.

Man of the hour Will Schofield was on 6PR tonight, when asked about the Barass situation his opinion was that it was all on the Eagles, that Tommy was "having the rug pulled out from under him" and that it was essentially all the Eagles doing that he was leaving, and that he should be entitled to ask for more coin and he deserves it.

It's seemed a bit much, my unpopular opinion is that I'm not a huge fan of players signing contracts and then when they play well expect the contract to increased in dollar value - it's a contract for a reason and they signed it. I am however a fan of the club recognising great form and rewarding the player with a pay increase.

Secondly, him being pushed out as if he's some sort of victim is pretty gross. Just a poor narrative to put out there.

Personally I'm not keen on seeing him go, but also understand he can generate some currency and as he won't be around for our future flag pushes.

I guess I'm trying to say I'm not entirely happy with the situation and how it's playing out after hearing what Schofield had to say on the radio.
Not sure WScho still has a lot of credibility …

If we do get Hawks R1, would it be worth looking at Taj Hotton or would he be too big of a risk of an ACL?

Does not want to leave Victoria.

Not related but next years draft at this stage is likely the most compromised draft since 2012.

Clubs seem to be accounting that most future third round picks are worthless.

Does not want to leave Victoria.

Not related but next years draft at this stage is likely the most compromised draft since 2012.

Clubs seem to be accounting that most future third round picks are worthless.
Good to know about Hotton, rumours but nothing confirmed until now as far as I can tell. We’ll need a couple of F3s for points matching next year, might be worth seeing how we acquire them now whilst their value is low.

i would
Good to know about Hotton, rumours but nothing confirmed until now as far as I can tell. We’ll need a couple of F3s for points matching next year, might be worth seeing how we acquire them now whilst their value is low.

I wouldn't be doing that until they announce the changes to next years draft in regard to matching
It could be you have to use a pick in the round a player is nominated so you wont be able to match if you dont have
a pick in that round available

i would

I wouldn't be doing that until they announce the changes to next years draft in regard to matching
It could be you have to use a pick in the round a player is nominated so you wont be able to match if you dont have
a pick in that round available
Agreed. Surely the AFL wouldn’t keep the rules of the draft unknown when you’re going to be trading into that draft…

I think it will need to be one pick within a certain range of the bid. Impossible to use a pick in the same round if a bid is made with the last pick of a round but with these muppets in charge who knows.

Any chance we bit on Lombard at 3 and they don't match???

* I also believe in the Tooth Fairy

Now i'm in no way involved in the actual draft and my rankings on players is a lot more limited this year than in years previous. But If I were in Massey's spot atm and the club holds pick 3 and Sid Draper is off the board i'm bidding on and would happily take him at 3. He's young relative to the draft crop and super strong for his size. He'll need to keep stacking on the size and core strength though. There's a lot of a young Daniel Kerr about his game.

He's a nugget with class and can find the ball. Super exciting player but might take 2-3 years to be AFL ready. Is 3 too high, maybe but it's a very even draft. Also if the suns fully set themselves up to draft him then it's an easy bid as you know it will be matched. Would ruin any future relationship with the suns recruiting and trade departments and they need plenty of points next year too.

AFAIK suns are literally just trying to lock down Rioli and Lombard as the key pieces out of this draft. They are at this stage also potentially looking at losing Lukosius as well. They want to get the two key pieces and move points into next years first 2 rounds.

Has already played against men and while he's not strong enough yet to play midfield at AFL level he could very well play up forward in year 1.

If I was a betting man I'd say hotton slides to Sydney's first pick, they are prob the only team that can afford to draft a kid with an acl and not wreck their draft position

I agree entirely

The concept that he's entitled to more money than he's contracted for is crazy. And I don't get why there would have been a supposed handshake agreement - why not just put it in the contract.

He made moves to leave last year, doing it again this year.

But Schofield is proving himself a massive campaigner. Just using his position in media to grandstand. No objectivity at all

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe we just put Tim English’s contract in front of old mate Lloyd Meek and see if that’s a thing that might work out for everyone?
Why would Hawks give away Meek whose become their premier ruck (and one of the better rucks in the league)? Especially when they are finals bound and on the up.

Their backup ruck is Ned Reeves who would be flipping burgers if he wasn't tall.

Why would Hawks give away Meek whose become their premier ruck (and one of the better rucks in the league)? Especially when they are finals bound and on the up.

Their backup ruck is Ned Reeves who would be flipping burgers if he wasn't tall.

….because a 6 year deal on much more money might turn his head? - he’s out of contract next year.

I was being somewhat facetious - but isn’t that how you recruit players these days?

Offer contracted guys big money they can’t refuse and get them to hold their existing club over a barrel while demanding a trade to take on a better contract than the one they signed?

Waiting for Kelly to go to eagles to change his own contract and deduct money for not living up to its contract value.

It’s all on eagles. One thing for sure is that masses are not going to feel sorry for someone on $700k per year who went to Hale, no matter how many rugs there are.

How can Port demand two first rounders for Houston and we what for Barrass?

Is Houston a better player than Barrass? I wouldn’t think so.

Why isn’t there a bottom two firsts price tag on Barrass?

Houston may not be a better player than barrass but he is almost certainly worth more in a trade. He’s significantly younger, with less injuries and a reigning AA.
Only thing barrass has over him in a trade is he is KPP, but designated kickers (as elite as Houston) are basically keystones these days given how the game is played. I would 100% swap barrass for Houston.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He's not slow in a straight line but that's about the extent of his athletic prowess. He can't jump and he's way too heavy at the moment.

Competitive sure but he's got no role at AFL as his game currently stands. Closest comparison I can think of a bigger Marcus Adams but he'd need to fix his field kicking and learn how to defend.
Feel like you are being overly harsh . He has plenty of afl attributes and a competitive streak which a lot of talls lack .

OK bourbon is in play ;) :cool:with this all in 2024 draft heist.

Barrass lands pick 11 plus something ?

We trade 3 and 23 to Freo for 7 and 12 for the Bolton deal.

We trade our F1st to GC for pick 6 and GC F2nd. Maybe grab a 3rd in 2024.

Go to the draft with picks 6, 7, 11 and 12.

6 Lalor
7. Trainor
11. Bo Allan / Lindsy
12. Travaglia
?
39. Champion
There is something to be said for having a couple of picks back to back like 6/7 and 11/12

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

OK bourbon is in play ;) :cool:with this all in 2024 draft heist.

Barrass lands pick 11 plus something ?

We trade 3 and 23 to Freo for 7 and 12 for the Bolton deal.

We trade our F1st to GC for pick 6 and GC F2nd. Maybe grab a 3rd in 2024.

Go to the draft with picks 6, 7, 11 and 12.

6 Lalor
7. Trainor
11. Bo Allan / Lindsy
12. Travaglia
?
39. Champion

Are we going to sacrifice a better player just to take the West Australian Bo Allen. I can see this being a big point of constination.

I'm not taking him before travaglia. So that would mean with those picks we have to choose between him and Lindsay?

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Another HBF that we will try turn into a midfielder because he dominated U18s midfield due to being bigger than the other kids .
With ginbey going back and all likely hood of moving chesser back wouldn't it be better to get a genuine mid ?
Or conversely, we are about to hit the jackpot! One of these will pay off! Just a few dozen more to try!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back