List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Houston may not be a better player than barrass but he is almost certainly worth more in a trade. He’s significantly younger, with less injuries and a reigning AA.
Only thing barrass has over him in a trade is he is KPP, but designated kickers (as elite as Houston) are basically keystones these days given how the game is played. I would 100% swap barrass for Houston.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Would also swap Barrass for Houston

Houston may not be a better player than barrass but he is almost certainly worth more in a trade. He’s significantly younger, with less injuries and a reigning AA.
Only thing barrass has over him in a trade is he is KPP, but designated kickers (as elite as Houston) are basically keystones these days given how the game is played. I would 100% swap barrass for Houston.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Houston is worth more but they will play majority of next year as 28 and 29 yo

Kingy already starting the narrative when talking to Cal about TB value. He thinks Gov saves TB a lot……

Their thoughts were
9-10 pretty much straight swap maybe some haggling over late picks
Around 13 and something else will have to be added maybe

Yes the same really like Bo Allen but much prefer Tobie his endurance and speed combo is so elite
Great defender good interceptor and has ability to go into the middle or wing
920 on the yo-yo for Tobie, 3.1 on sprint from memory.
Are we going to sacrifice a better player just to take the West Australian Bo Allen. I can see this being a big point of constination.

I'm not taking him before travaglia. So that would mean with those picks we have to choose between him and Lindsay?

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
I like Bo but he’s a less athletic Ginbey (better footy IQ and leader though) vs 70/80m transition mid with one of, if not the best left foot kick in the draft whose skills we have been crying out for.
bzparkes put up some good selection history last year about us taking best available rather than the WA kid when all the Norf supporters convinced themselves we weren’t taking Harley at 1.

ROB said the same thing last year but if we take Bo over Lindsay he was obviously full of sh*t.

Kingy already starting the narrative when talking to Cal about TB value. He thinks Gov saves TB a lot……

Their thoughts were
Kingy was spot on about Barrass last night. Barras has had 34 goals kicked on him this year. We all know he's a shit kick and one on one isn't that great.. ..

A pick inside 10 and pies 2nd would be a great outcome for us.

I knew we weren't gonna be able to send TB to whichever club offers us the most, it was always gonna be the club that TB wants to head to.
Hard to see us not being nice guys and trying to accommodate him.

Does not want to leave Victoria.

Not related but next years draft at this stage is likely the most compromised draft since 2012.

Clubs seem to be accounting that most future third round picks are worthless.
Yep, and that's why I never considered him although rated him highly. Very close to his family and dad, brother at the saints.

Their thoughts were
That's pretty much what most of us think though.

Kingy was spot on about Barrass last night. Barras has had 34 goals kicked on him this year. We all know he's a shit kick and one on one isn't that great.. ..

But his intercepting is elite and would be even more so if they design their backline around him being that. What most teams want these days.

Are we going to sacrifice a better player just to take the West Australian Bo Allen. I can see this being a big point of constination.

I'm not taking him before travaglia. So that would mean with those picks we have to choose between him and Lindsay?

No we aren't.

Thats why I put up Allan / Lindsay as our option. I feel Lindsay is the better choice but Bo Allan I just like his size, impact and aggression. Leadership as well.

And when you have two picks in a row, 11 and 12 in this hypothesis, does it matter the order who we pick with 11 or 12?

Last edited:

This is for Kingy not you but that stat is so simplistic and misleading. Gets the best forward every week but more importantly when you have opposition waltzing the ball out of half back and the midfield with no pressure to the point of them having the time to give the ball to the exact player they want delivering the ball inside 50 (see Merrett vs Bombers) then even the best KPD is going to get his arse handed to him.

Stephen Silvagni would have had bags kicked on his every week such has been our defensive forward and midfield pressure for most of this year.

TB has done extremely well to keep it to 34 goals.

This is for Kingy not you but that stat is so simplistic and misleading. Gets the best forward every week but more importantly when you have opposition waltzing the ball out of half back and the midfield with no pressure to the point of them having the time to give the ball to the exact player they want delivering the ball inside 50 (see Merrett vs Bombers) then even the best KPD is going to get his arse handed to him.

Stephen Silvagni would have had bags kicked on his every week such has been our defensive forward and midfield pressure for most of this year.

TB has done extremely well to keep it to 34 goals.
100%

Barass' ranking out of players that have played 6+ games

1% = 6th
Intercepts = 8th
Contested Marks = 16th

These are the indicators that Hawks will be looking at.

Highest ranked Hawk
1% = 57th
Intercepts = 12th
Contested Marks = 45th

He's had a shitload of footy coming at him though, you'd have to do a goals conceded as a % of forward 50 entries comparison with other full backs to get a fairer picture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100%

Barass' ranking out of players that have played 6+ games

1% = 6th
Intercepts = 8th
Contested Marks = 16th

These are the indicators that Hawks will be looking at.

Highest ranked Hawk
1% = 57th
Intercepts = 12th
Contested Marks = 45th

The other big parts to this are the club can potentially part part of his salary. Unless the club gets some players in the salary floor is looking a challenge next year.

Battle if he does likely end up at hawks is undersized and while he can play taller and smaller he's not the guy for big talls.

The biggest thing is it 100% guarantees that Sicily will be able to be the third or fourth option up, use his elite reading of the play and distribution as well as potentially swing forward when needed.

Also means hardwick can stay 100% forward.

Now i'm in no way involved in the actual draft and my rankings on players is a lot more limited this year than in years previous. But If I were in Massey's spot atm and the club holds pick 3 and Sid Draper is off the board i'm bidding on and would happily take him at 3. He's young relative to the draft crop and super strong for his size. He'll need to keep stacking on the size and core strength though. There's a lot of a young Daniel Kerr about his game.

He's a nugget with class and can find the ball. Super exciting player but might take 2-3 years to be AFL ready. Is 3 too high, maybe but it's a very even draft. Also if the suns fully set themselves up to draft him then it's an easy bid as you know it will be matched. Would ruin any future relationship with the suns recruiting and trade departments and they need plenty of points next year too.

AFAIK suns are literally just trying to lock down Rioli and Lombard as the key pieces out of this draft. They are at this stage also potentially looking at losing Lukosius as well. They want to get the two key pieces and move points into next years first 2 rounds.

Has already played against men and while he's not strong enough yet to play midfield at AFL level he could very well play up forward in year 1.
I'd happily take Lombard at 3, if they didn't match. Quick, strong and good skills.
Perfect for our list.

If we get bo Allen with tb pick I will rage so ****ing hard. I'll take him at our second rounder or ideally where clay hall was taken

No set position
Doing worse then clay hall in national against men

Has he shown any ability to accumulate the ball in the middle. No not consistently

Dudes a rotham replacement at best (third tall). He can take rotham role. Forget it keep TB if our big brain recruiters are going to go to Bo ****ing Allen

The other big parts to this are the club can potentially part part of his salary. Unless the club gets some players in the salary floor is looking a challenge next year.

Battle if he does likely end up at hawks is undersized and while he can play taller and smaller he's not the guy for big talls.

The biggest thing is it 100% guarantees that Sicily will be able to be the third or fourth option up, use his elite reading of the play and distribution as well as potentially swing forward when needed.

Also means hardwick can stay 100% forward.
Unlocking Sicily will be their prime motivator. He'll be a mini McGovern if they can bring in Barrass to watch the big boys.

I'd happily take Lombard at 3, if they didn't match. Quick, strong and good skills.
Perfect for our list.
At 3, I have no qualms in bidding on Ashcroft then Lombard. Why? They would be perfect additions to join our midfield and complement Harley, albeit in different ways.

In terms of who we pick that is available, I’m very content on one of Jagga, FOS or Draper. So I am totally relaxed with all of them. There is something about Draper that I am liking and I’m hoping Massey is aligned.

Barrass is an excellent player no denying that he would have multiple AA's if he was playing in Victoria.

We should absoutely be shopping him around to all Vic clubs in order to get the best deal, especially with Hawthorn's draft hand looking increasingly unattractive. Bulldogs, St Kilda, Melbourne, Carlton, Melbourne could all potentially come to the table.

Start by asking for 2 first rounders and see where we end up. We can always keep him and i guarantee we will get similar offers if not better next year.

At 3, I have no qualms in bidding on Ashcroft then Lombard. Why? They would be perfect additions to join our midfield and complement Harley, albeit in different ways.

In terms of who we pick that is available, I’m very content on one of Jagga, FOS or Draper. So I am totally relaxed with all of them. There is something about Draper that I am liking and I’m hoping Massey is aligned.

Draper is the safest bet whilst also being a very good bet. Outside of him i like FOS and Lalor.

Man of the hour Will Schofield was on 6PR tonight, when asked about the Barass situation his opinion was that it was all on the Eagles, that Tommy was "having the rug pulled out from under him" and that it was essentially all the Eagles doing that he was leaving, and that he should be entitled to ask for more coin and he deserves it.

It's seemed a bit much, my unpopular opinion is that I'm not a huge fan of players signing contracts and then when they play well expect the contract to increased in dollar value - it's a contract for a reason and they signed it. I am however a fan of the club recognising great form and rewarding the player with a pay increase.

Secondly, him being pushed out as if he's some sort of victim is pretty gross. Just a poor narrative to put out there.

Personally I'm not keen on seeing him go, but also understand he can generate some currency and as he won't be around for our future flag pushes.

I guess I'm trying to say I'm not entirely happy with the situation and how it's playing out after hearing what Schofield had to say on the radio.
Schofield is just looking after his mate. I think Schoey has spent too long with that big nose prick Pavlich and his negativity has rubbed off

In terms of rug pulled out, it’s more like Tom now wants an extra story on his house and the missus want the hall rug to be a stair runner.

If contracts were fair, then we could ask Sheed to bring his contract and give some of his money to Tom. Lord knows Sheed has undelivered on his output for at least 2 seasons.

Let us be very clear. Tom has been well rewarded and his leadership recognised in the club. At the time of signing, it was a good contract giving him loads of security.

Going behind the clubs back last year and meeting with Sydney was hardly a man committing to the Eagles. He probably read heaps about Ben McKay and what he is earning and his head was open to being turned. Likewise, the clubs head was effectively turned thinking what could we get for Tom.

We will be weakened in trading him but fairly compensated if we pick up the Hawks R1 and Pies R2.

They will match. Is it worth threatening to do it though in order to try upgrade some of our later picks with GC?

On the subject of placing bids I thought Mitch Woodcock made a good argument through the week.

Clubs moaning and groaning about northern academies but then not forcing the northern clubs to pay fair price for aligned players.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back