List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Does not want to leave Victoria.

Not related but next years draft at this stage is likely the most compromised draft since 2012.

Clubs seem to be accounting that most future third round picks are worthless.

More (Sch)Longs and Johns(t)ons for us!

I hope we keep showing some form in finding players deeper in the draft. It's been a wasteland for us for so long and the list shows it.

I'd take Bo over Lindsay, Lindsay is a good player with most of his kicking really high quality. But also prone to missing targets and turning it over.
Bo is tough, quick, dual position and gun footballer.

I just think there are other outside players you could get later in the draft. Boxshall or Artemis to name a few.
I really like kade Herbert later in the draft for an outside mid .

Didn't get the opportunity he deserved in the u18s with the high profile camperialli twins playing wing for SA.

Runs all day , tough for an outside mid , tackles hard, good over head mark and good delivery i50 .

Reminds me of mitch Duncan

I'd take Bo over Lindsay, Lindsay is a good player with most of his kicking really high quality. But also prone to missing targets and turning it over.

I just think there are other outside players you could get later in the draft. Boxshall or Artemis to name a few.
Fair argument, I’d rather go Lindsay then look at a Gross or Hynes with pick 23. No one could ever question Bo’s toughness, that’s for sure.

If we only have one pick around the 8-13 mark, who you taking, TT or BAllen?

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sadly I think you’re right. Blues, Dons and Freo shitting the bed has been a disaster for our potential draft hand. Clear step down after pick 10 (excluding Ashcroft and Lombard) IMO.
Maybe. Athletically Bo Allen is a bit of an outlier & could rise up the board after the combine.

Not quite. If we bid on Lombard at 3 then GC have to use picks equivalent in points to pick 3 in order to match the bid.

We don’t get the picks they use. The picks they use get consumed matching the bid.

Pretty sure they are saying our 2nd round and later picks get bolstered because GC will need to burn more later picks matching if we bid earlier.

Another HBF that we will try turn into a midfielder because he dominated U18s midfield due to being bigger than the other kids .
With ginbey going back and all likely hood of moving chesser back wouldn't it be better to get a genuine mid ?
I'd move Chesser should be moved closer to the ball.

If Chesser isn't playing wing we could be looking for a decent option for the wing and Allen a left foot option.

If we only have one pick around the 8-13 mark, who you taking, TT or BAllen?

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
TT, Berry & Allan in that order if talking about the Hawks pick which will be outside the top 10 most likely.

Berry has the potential to be a gun high half forward or play the small fwd role, has some of the best kicking skills and arguably the best f50 entries in the cohort, plus hits the scoreboard regularly.

And I don’t care that some are saying we don’t need a fwd there is no substitute for quality and we should be always taking best available when talking about 1st round picks.

I went back and have the top 40 players from the 2023 draft. I eliminated the NGA and FS prospects and that reduced it to 33. I then went and placed a space where I thought there was a drop off in talent and a double space when it was a significant drop off. Obviously these are just my opinions and others will differ. To explain last year v this year, here are my observations:

1. There is no Harley Reid - stating the bleeding obvious you might say
2. Colby be would No 1 this year (which is why I believe Norf would never include pick 2 in the HR offers)
3. The trio of Duursma to Ryley feel like the trio of contenders I have as the top 3 this year in Smith, FOS and Draper
4. The quartet from Caleb to Connor - there are about 10 in the bunch this year.
5. The quintet headed by Pheonix - there are about 15 I have in this year.
6. I would be ranking the group from Goad onwards (that starts at 15) at about 30 this year.
7. Hardman was taken with the original pick 18 and I suggest he was more like pick 25 would get him this year.

So overall, apart from a couple of stars, the draft this year is so so much better

2023 Draft (player taken in position of pick excluding any FS or Academy players
1723780125882.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After this performance on the weekend he finally got a call up to play for the senior WAFL West Perth team and it only took Kayle dominating the comp for weeks on end. In this game he was again best on ground, getting shaded in the hit outs but consistently causing damage post stoppage with his power and skills on the spread. The big thing we've been seeing more often in recent weeks is his contested marking with him regularly pulling down a couple of impressive plucks each week now.

We await this weekends game now with baited breath. A strong debut WAFL performance as a key forward and Kayle might fly up draft boards. There are several teams with top 10 picks that are hungry for a key forward and there isn't much Kayle can't do.

Does not want to leave Victoria.

Not related but next years draft at this stage is likely the most compromised draft since 2012.

Clubs seem to be accounting that most future third round picks are worthless.
Going to be quite a lot of NGA first round bids.

QLD U17’s beat Vic Metro U17’s in Melbourne last weekend, and NSW/ACT beat Vic Country as well. Both comfortable wins.

Strong WA crop of NGA kids as well.

Expect the Vic media to go in to panic mode after next year’s national championships.

TT, Berry & Allan in that order if talking about the Hawks pick which will be outside the top 10 most likely.

Berry has the potential to be a gun high half forward or play the small fwd role, has some of the best kicking skills and arguably the best f50 entries in the cohort, plus hits the scoreboard regularly.

And I don’t care that some are saying we don’t need a fwd there is no substitute for quality and we should be always taking best available when talking about 1st round picks.
I do not support "Always take best available". That is fine in the NFL where it you can find plug in players in the 4th round and players move all over the country. It is also fine if you are Collingwood and Richmond etc who can cherry pick on the boys going back to Melbourne from interstate clubs and 10 clubs in the local market where you can move clubs but not need to move home. It is a damn lot harder convincing players to relocate to Perth.

We are likely to get Champion this year plus Wes Walley and Koby Evans next year as NGA.

Where the cupboard has been bare is the midfield and with Ginbey looking more HBF, Chesser more WAFL and Hewett's foot is an unknown, we need to prioritise 2 midfielders in the first 3 picks this year (assuming Tom is off).

Going to be quite a lot of NGA first round bids.

QLD U17’s beat Vic Metro U17’s in Melbourne last weekend, and NSW/ACT beat Vic Country as well. Both comfortable wins.

Strong WA crop of NGA kids as well.

Expect the Vic media to go in to panic mode after next year’s national championships.
Oh - welcome back. I had assumed you had relocated to the Richmond board.

Genuine question - when are the draft rules for 2025 going to be made public?

I went back and have the top 40 players from the 2023 draft. I eliminated the NGA and FS prospects and that reduced it to 33. I then went and placed a space where I thought there was a drop off in talent and a double space when it was a significant drop off. Obviously these are just my opinions and others will differ. To explain last year v this year, here are my observations:

1. There is no Harley Reid - stating the bleeding obvious you might say
2. Colby be would No 1 this year (which is why I believe Norf would never include pick 2 in the HR offers)
3. The trio of Duursma to Ryley feel like the trio of contenders I have as the top 3 this year in Smith, FOS and Draper
4. The quartet from Caleb to Connor - there are about 10 in the bunch this year.
5. The quintet headed by Pheonix - there are about 15 I have in this year.
6. I would be ranking the group from Goad onwards (that starts at 15) at about 30 this year.
7. Hardman was taken with the original pick 18 and I suggest he was more like pick 25 would get him this year.

So overall, apart from a couple of stars, the draft this year is so so much better

2023 Draft (player taken in position of pick excluding any FS or Academy players
View attachment 2080818
Really good way of looking at it....Thanks for the breakdown mate.

I do not support "Always take best available". That is fine in the NFL where it you can find plug in players in the 4th round and players move all over the country. It is also fine if you are Collingwood and Richmond etc who can cherry pick on the boys going back to Melbourne from interstate clubs and 10 clubs in the local market where you can move clubs but not need to move home. It is a damn lot harder convincing players to relocate to Perth.

We are likely to get Champion this year plus Wes Walley and Koby Evans next year as NGA.

Where the cupboard has been bare is the midfield and with Ginbey looking more HBF, Chesser more WAFL and Hewett's foot is an unknown, we need to prioritise 2 midfielders in the first 3 picks this year (assuming Tom is off).
Yes If a player doesn’t want to move to WA whilst technically they are available, in reality they are not absolutely agree with that.

All three of those boys you mention in Champion Walley and Evans are no guarantees. Champion looks tiny and will be a slow burn. Evans looked lucky to be in the 18s team. Whalley, well dare I say it, we will see where’s Walley is at next year.

Berry is right in the mix at pick 10-13 and shouldn’t be dismissed.

If Sam Darcy, Sheezle, Toby Greene or JUH were available at pick 3 this year and were all happy to come West would you still go, no thanks you look really talented but we need a midfielder……….

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

Always take best available at the top of the draft. Sort your list out from there.

"Best Available" is such a misnomer anyway.

The reality is that beyond the first couple of picks there are usually Tiers. See your helpful list below.

Say you're picking at pick 6, if you think that Windsor/Curtin/Caddy/O'Sullivan are all much of a muchness, you pick for need (I need a key forward i'm taking Caddy). What you don't do, is at pick 3 reach for Caddy, you take one of Durrsma/Watson/Sanders.

I’d like to go after Starcevich via FA next year. Would free Hough up to play a more dynamic role. Kane Farrell Port FA would be a good quarter back type pick up too.
If we had starcevich, hough and ginbey maybe lalor or berry this year is the right outcome. I'd assume freo would be hell bent on bo Allen with their pick8 and shai with the other two firsts

Yes If a player doesn’t want to move to WA whilst technically they are available, in reality they are not absolutely agree with that.

All three of those boys you mention in Champion Walley and Evans are no guarantees. Champion looks tiny and will be a slow burn. Evans looked lucky to be in the 18s team. Whalley, well dare I say it, we will see where’s Walley is at next year.

If Sam Darcy, Sheezle, Toby Greene or JUH were available at pick 3 this year and were all happy to come West would you still go, no thanks you look really talented but we need a midfielder……….

Always take best available at the top of the draft. Sort your list out from there.
Champion's slightly taller than Kysaiah Pickett(by 1cm) and probably still growing.

Pickett goes alright.

If the case like last year is at 1 - Harley Reid or at 2 - McKercher are best available, then yes, I will always go best available. But if there is very little in it, then best available reduces in importance and needs starts to kick in.

I'll take your example.

(A) If we have pick 12 and sitting on the table is Berry, Travaglia and Lindsay. We could get 6 people and come up with 6 different orders on best available. I believe there is little in it and I would probably go Travaglia/Lindsay/Berry as that is adding what I perceive as needs.

(B) Staying with pick 12, if was a choice of Hotton (Cal has at 12), Travaglia (Cal has at 11), Armstrong (tipped by Cal to be 7th best) and Trainor (tipped by Cal to be 9th best), then I go Travaglia every day of the week. I am keeping it on Cal's ranking so that it is objective. I see Hotton as a mummy's bayside boy while Trainor has other issues hence I would pass on while Armstrong is in a position we have more than covered (how many tall forwards do we really need).

Depends on where the Hawks finish and what happens with Battle, the Hawks pick may well be when best available are the heap of talls tipped in the teens. We really do not need forwards or feel we can get our talls at 23 and/or 28. We can try to slide back a couple but if there are no takers and we think we need Hynes or Gross, I am happy to overlook minimal differences in best available and take for needs.

Norf have taken best available. They neglected their spine and look how that has worked out. If instead of Phillipsthey had of taken McDonald, would it feel different? If instead of Duursma they had of taken O'Sullivan or Caddy, would they look different.

If it is a choice of Berry or Whitlock or Shanahan or Tauru, then I am with you on taking Berry.

wheres waldo 90s GIF

Surely not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back