List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tigers board seems to think we’re heavily into Jacob Blight who only signed a 6 month contract and has been performing very well in the VFL.

I don’t mind it.

Might be quicker to list the Tigers players we’re not into, at this rate.

"Best Available" is such a misnomer anyway.

The reality is that beyond the first couple of picks there are usually Tiers. See your helpful list below.

Say you're picking at pick 6, if you think that Windsor/Curtin/Caddy/O'Sullivan are all much of a muchness, you pick for need (I need a key forward i'm taking Caddy). What you don't do, is at pick 3 reach for Caddy, you take one of Durrsma/Watson/Sanders.
I'd also factor in the safety of the pick:
Your best performed midfielders are going to at least be playable somewhere for 150 odd games. Talls are a lot more speculative.
Both went at #5:
Solid Parish vs Inconsistent Stringer
Stringer will win a match on his day, but Parish contributes more over the season🤷

A team effort:
Last year I thought that there was a pretty clear cut order of those listed even amongst that top tier. I'm sure everyone has their own opinions and recruiting departments will naturally differ on how they see these rankings as well. Split the difference by taking the position of "need".
I had of those listed above:
O'Sullivan, Caddy, Curtin
<TIER>
Watson, Windsor

Melbourne in 2019 were instructed by the coaching department to take a small fwd.
#3 Jackson. "best available"
#12 Pickett "need"

In 2020 they were looking for good kicks
#21 Bowey "foot skills"
#22 Laurie "smarts and skills"

At #34 There was debate over Carroll (mid) or Rosman (tall) and they went for the list balance in taking Rosman as an (injured) upside pick rather than Carroll who was seen as a solid player.

If you were to rank each draft with a list of best players in order it would be wildly different to where picks are actually taken and Melbourne went early on most of these in order to fulfil their requirements.

Token pick for Luke Parker? 🙃

After this performance on the weekend he finally got a call up to play for the senior WAFL West Perth team and it only took Kayle dominating the comp for weeks on end. In this game he was again best on ground, getting shaded in the hit outs but consistently causing damage post stoppage with his power and skills on the spread. The big thing we've been seeing more often in recent weeks is his contested marking with him regularly pulling down a couple of impressive plucks each week now.

We await this weekends game now with baited breath. A strong debut WAFL performance as a key forward and Kayle might fly up draft boards. There are several teams with top 10 picks that are hungry for a key forward and there isn't much Kayle can't do.

Anyone watching this game keep a eye out for West Perth 26
I call him silk his name is Sam Swadling he is who we need to draft next year
Going to be a very good AFL wingman
Dual footed elite kick and extreme speed endurance combo

This is your home, briztoon. :hearts:
71e623f1-6b0e-4f8f-9806-62d53a971e88_text.gif

Can’t believe we had Martin training with us and we couldn’t see his talent.
Meh not losing sleep over that one.
His disposal, particularly under pressure is quite poor.

Whilst he has nice stats, he's more role player then game breaker. And yeah he would prob be best 22, but I don't think his ability or skillset is a rare commodity.

Teams do NOT take best available talent in the NFL draft. Even in the top 5 picks, teams draft for positions of need. This year’s NFL draft was bonkers, with teams drafting consensus second round talents in the top 10 picks, because there was a run on quarterbacks. Then there were top 15 rated kids lasting to the mid second round, because they were cornerbacks.
Was going to say similar. NFL teams greatest ability to beat the cap is to hit on early draft picks. Highly valued positions like QB (especially), DE, WR and OLINE are frequently taking higher then their grading and typically the best RB, LB, safetys etc will slide big-time.

Understand what your saying regarding CBs (my new Orleans beneficiary of one of said sliders on Koolaid), but this years draft seemed to be an exception to the rule, as typically another highly rated and over drafted position.

This is a byproduct of the nature of NFL tho. Coaches and GMs are a bad season away from the hot seat in America and can't afford to go into a season with holes. Afl is incredibly patient in comparison and hence I think a far better environment to go best available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was going to say similar. NFL teams greatest ability to beat the cap is to hit on early draft picks. Highly valued positions like QB (especially), DE, WR and OLINE are frequently taking higher then their grading and typically the best RB, LB, safetys etc will slide big-time.

Understand what your saying regarding CBs (my new Orleans beneficiary of one of said sliders on Koolaid), but this years draft seemed to be an exception to the rule, as typically another highly rated and over drafted position.
Eagles fan. We doubled up on top rated CB's who slid this year.

This is a byproduct of the nature of NFL tho. Coaches and GMs are a bad season away from the hot seat in America and can't afford to go into a season with holes. Afl is incredibly patient in comparison and hence I think a far better environment to go best available.
I did sort of agree with going “best available” but if the best available is a HR then sure we’d go with two Harleys.But if the best was an 8/10th Harley I’d go a pick that got the best defensive mid available.We can’t have all our mids HR,Yo,TK being attacking .All or nothing.
We want a hard running,hard tackling defensive mid.He May not be the best player available but will be the best of his type in the top dozen.

Am I missing something with Houston?

Fantastic kick of the footy and an AA selection, buy in what world is he worth more than a mid first rounder at best?

27, all Australian, good player.

Mid first rounder is say pick 8-13. Hmmm. He is better than 2x pick 18’s. Tough one. Not worth 2x top 10s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back