List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've probably missed the last 100 pages or so.

Is there any consensus on who you all prefer at your first pick?

p.s. #SidDraper4WestCoast
Consensus was Sid Draper, but he won't last to our pick.
ECE checks notes... also that we want TT with Hawks first.
Checks notes again, also that we won big footy trade of you for majorsin.

I'd move Chesser should be moved closer to the ball.

If Chesser isn't playing wing we could be looking for a decent option for the wing and Allen a left foot option.

Chesser is not small and can play inside. We have been easing him into AFL level playing him on the defensive wing to "learn running paterns". He has shown glimpses but also gifted games to fst track him.

His bidy has taken three years to get right.

Right now he isnt being gifted games. Others are being given a shot.

100% he should be training with the nids this off season. I guarantee he will feed off Harley's swagger and get involved. If he can stay fit and we play him on ball I wont be surprised with a breakout season, just as he approaches 50 games.

Chesser is not small and can play inside. We have been easing him into AFL level playing him on the defensive wing to "learn running paterns". He has shown glimpses but also gifted games to fst track him.

100% he should be training with the nids this off season. I guarantee he will feed off Harley's swagger and get involved. If he can stay fit and we play him on ball I wont be surprised with a breakout season, just as he approaches 50 games.
Not out of the question but I don’t see it.

HBF I reckon he is best suited to with Ginbey on the other and let them build up their confidence and maybe one day play back in the middle. (Ed Richards, Yeo, Day, Rivers ect)

Duggan on the wing, seems to know where to be and finds it there unlike every other wing we have lately

If the case like last year is at 1 - Harley Reid or at 2 - McKercher are best available, then yes, I will always go best available. But if there is very little in it, then best available reduces in importance and needs starts to kick in.

I'll take your example.

(A) If we have pick 12 and sitting on the table is Berry, Travaglia and Lindsay. We could get 6 people and come up with 6 different orders on best available. I believe there is little in it and I would probably go Travaglia/Lindsay/Berry as that is adding what I perceive as needs.

(B) Staying with pick 12, if was a choice of Hotton (Cal has at 12), Travaglia (Cal has at 11), Armstrong (tipped by Cal to be 7th best) and Trainor (tipped by Cal to be 9th best), then I go Travaglia every day of the week. I am keeping it on Cal's ranking so that it is objective. I see Hotton as a mummy's bayside boy while Trainor has other issues hence I would pass on while Armstrong is in a position we have more than covered (how many tall forwards do we really need).

Depends on where the Hawks finish and what happens with Battle, the Hawks pick may well be when best available are the heap of talls tipped in the teens. We really do not need forwards or feel we can get our talls at 23 and/or 28. We can try to slide back a couple but if there are no takers and we think we need Hynes or Gross, I am happy to overlook minimal differences in best available and take for needs.

Norf have taken best available. They neglected their spine and look how that has worked out. If instead of Phillipsthey had of taken McDonald, would it feel different? If instead of Duursma they had of taken O'Sullivan or Caddy, would they look different.

If it is a choice of Berry or Whitlock or Shanahan or Tauru, then I am with you on taking Berry.

Agreed. When we get outside the top 10 maybe a slider pops up that is too obvious to ignore. A Oscar pick WTF how are you still available momement.

However when we are looking at Berry - TT - Whitlock - B Allan spread list needs and plans must come into it.

Small / Medium Forwards
We now know Champion will be added as a small forward / high half forward. Dewar looks good. Brockman could surprise. Hewett will need to come back playing forward. Harley rests forward or breaking a tag playing forward. Johnson projected as a wing / HHF plus our pick 3 this year likely uses HF to develop. Hutchings is a taller Le Cras inbetween type.q

Tall Forwards
We are covered. Oscar, Waterman, J Williams, A Ried, Livingston, Maric and Hutchings.
Plus resting rucks.

We also now have NGA access and what is likely coming through next year comes into the equation.

So this pick 11 to 12 stage we would have to be looking at tall defenders and skillfull rebounding defenders. This is a sweet spot in the draft for best half backs as the top 10 is nornally gun mids then the gun talls. And yes some gun mid/def.

If we get the Hawks pick say 11 would just love pick 12 as well held by Freo.

Assuming these players haved ticked rhe boxes for us when interviewed I would go.

Pick 11 Travagalia. Looks like a potential gun, accumulating HB or wing. Big meters gained player.

Pick 12 I would go Whitlock under the strategy of starting him as a defender. I recall he is listed as a forward / ruck but he is flexible. His twin brother more of a pure forward. Model his game on the Lions Harris Andrews. Always a ruck option later in his career.

Agreed. When we get outside the top 10 maybe a slider pops up that is too obvious to ignore. A Oscar pick WTF how are you still available momement.

However when we are looking at Berry - TT - Whitlock - B Allan spread list needs and plans must come into it.

Small / Medium Forwards
We now know Champion will be added as a small forward / high half forward. Dewar looks good. Brockman could surprise. Hewett will need to come back playing forward. Harley rests forward or breaking a tag playing forward. Johnson projected as a wing / HHF plus our pick 3 this year likely uses HF to develop. Hutchings is a taller Le Cras inbetween type.q

Tall Forwards
We are covered. Oscar, Waterman, J Williams, A Ried, Livingston, Maric and Hutchings.
Plus resting rucks.

We also now have NGA access and what is likely coming through next year comes into the equation.

So this pick 11 to 12 stage we would have to be looking at tall defenders and skillfull rebounding defenders. This is a sweet spot in the draft for best half backs as the top 10 is nornally gun mids then the gun talls. And yes some gun mid/def.

Assuming these players haved ticked rhe boxes for us when interviewed I would go.

Pick 11 Travagalia. Looks like a potential gun, accumulating HB or wing. Big meters gained player.

Pick 12 I would go Whitlock under the strategy of starting him as a defender. I recall he is listed as a forward / ruck but he is flexible. His twin brother more of a pure forward. Model his game on the Lions Harris Andrews. Always a ruck option later in his career.
Good analysis of the list in the forward half. TT no brainer but I’d avoid taking any of the talls in this draft before pick 20. None of them are screaming pick me and O’Farrell and/or Mraz* will offer great value with 23 or 28. Both have shown they have versatility to play forward but with AReid and Livingstone taken last year there’s really no need to look at KPFs for at least two years.

Recent KPPs haven’t really delivered on their draft spot although it is early. McDonald, Thilthorpe, Gibcus, DGB, M King, Z Reid all top 10 picks 2021 or earlier then add Buss and Cadman as well.

Could be argued that Ben King and JUH are on the intended path and Darcy and Amiss are showing signs.

A second pick around (presumably) Hawks 1R would be fantastic but I’d want a mid.

Small / Medium Forwards

Tall Forwards
Plus resting rucks.

Whitlock at 12

Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

Gaiz you take best available , if there is a small group of players that are very even, then yes of course you have the luxury of picking a need it’s not f’n rocket science.

Otherwise if you want to pick for needs you split your picks, you don’t reach unless your list in a position to do so or have 100 first round picks like the suns have had.

This isn’t the NFL and our game is nothing like it, we aren’t in the USA where the talent pool is massive either.

There are a few small pools of players this year. The second pool of talent finishes around pick 13-15 this year and none of the talls are in those top two tiers outside of maybe Armstrong if he dominates the rest of the year.

Berry is in that second group and if he’s there around our pick from the Hawks and is the best option we should take him rather than reach or trade down.

Berry is potentially of the quality player that could boot 20-40 goals a season. You don’t overlook those players because we have Brockman or Dewar or Champion as an academy selection.

It’s like saying we won’t take a player of Hewett’s potential because we have Hall, Trew and Culley on our list. Please.

Watch Chesser at the game and his major weakness is his inability to read the play. Too often he gets caught in no man’s land. I cannot see him as a wingman. Therefore he has to be inside mid (more defensive minded as he is not a creator) or behind the ball off a hbf

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whitlock at 12

Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

Gaiz you take best available , if there is a small group of players that are very even, then yes of course you have the luxury of picking a need it’s not f’n rocket science.

Otherwise if you want to pick for needs you split your picks, you don’t reach unless your list in a position to do so or have 100 first round picks like the suns have had.

This isn’t the NFL and our game is nothing like it, we aren’t in the USA where the talent pool is massive either.

There are a few small pools of players this year. The second pool of talent finishes around pick 13-15 this year and none of the talls are in those top two tiers outside of maybe Armstrong if he dominates the rest of the year.

Berry is in that second group and if he’s there around our pick from the Hawks and is the best option we should take him rather than reach or trade down.

Berry is potentially of the quality player that could boot 20-40 goals a season. You don’t overlook those players because we have Brockman or Dewar or Champion as an academy selection.

It’s like saying we won’t take a player of Hewett’s potential because we have Hall, Trew and Culley on our list. Please.

How edit mildly arrogant of you. ;) :thumbsu: Not a stretch as 12 will be live pick 14. He is rated late 1st and one of the highest rated talls in the draft.

What pick do you think Whitlock will go BTW?

Then we can revisit who can laugh at who when its all done.

Last edited:

Small / Medium Forwards

Tall Forwards
Plus resting rucks.

I expect the cost of a second pick at 12 will be our F1

Watch Chesser at the game and his major weakness is his inability to read the play. Too often he gets caught in no man’s land. I cannot see him as a wingman. Therefore he has to be inside mid (more defensive minded as he is not a creator) or behind the ball off a hbf

Yep and the club has been working on that weakness in his running paterns. Work still to be done there.

Get him into the trenches and involved in ball movement chains and he gets an opportunity to be a creator. Hard to create playing in the dead side defensive wing.

Hopefully playing on ball we see a boost like we did when Petro was handed more time on ball........hopefully better

Last edited:
How very arrogant of you. Not a stretch as 12 will be live pick 14. He is rated late 1st and one of the highest rated talls in the draft.

Then we can revisit who can laugh at who when its all done.
I wouldn’t have either Whitlock in the top 25 and there are better options as kpd in the draft and of far better value than spending pick 12 on J Whitlock.

Apologies if I came across arrogant

Edit: if we were planning to take a kpd at pick 12 in this draft then just pay the money and keep Barrass.

you know who could use Tom barass? Sydney. Just need to talk him into Sydney over Melbourne. A couple of second round rounders and Tom barass for Chad Warner.
It is strange that all the talk last year was TB to Sydney but now they aren’t even in the conversation. He is still a good fit for them. Perhaps the salary cap space is gone after a few Swans re- signed this year, but we could certainly pay some salary to increase our leverage in the deal. Wouldn’t have thought his sister moving between Melbourne and Sydney would be that big of a barrier.

Yep and the club has been working on that weakness in his running paterns. Work still to be done there.

Get him into the trenches and involved in ball movement chains and he gets an opportunity to be a creator. Hard to create playing in the dead side defensive wing.

Hopefully playing in ball we see a boost like we did when Petro was handed more time on ball........hopefully better
What would he be worth on the trade table?

It is strange that all the talk last year was TB to Sydney but now they aren’t even in the conversation. He is still a good fit for them. Perhaps the salary cap space is gone after a few Swans re- signed this year, but we could certainly pay some salary to increase our leverage in the deal. Wouldn’t have thought his sister moving between Melbourne and Sydney would be that big of a barrier.
Family.

His borther is also moving to Melbourne. He originally only preferred Sydney because his sister was there.

How edit mildly arrogant of you. ;) :thumbsu: Not a stretch as 12 will be live pick 14. He is rated late 1st and one of the highest rated talls in the draft.

Then we can revisit who can laugh at who when it’s all done.
Personally I think the Swans will take both twins at 18 and 19. I rate Shanahan, Armstrong, O’Farrell and Mraz as better prospects than both of them.

Doesn’t mean they’ll be picked before them though.

Luke Edwards sad news about his third concussion this season. One of those out of contract.

Can see a move onto the rookie list or he is delisted and retained as a train on option. Minimum we look after him and retain him for the WAFL team, support him with our medico's and facilities for another 12 months.

Hope his health is ok long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back