List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like we've tried to shoehorn a few players into that role and it hasn't worked - Ginbey, Duggan, even Sheed for a few games
We havent recruited anybody who can do this job in a long time, Rowan Jones was probably the last one lol. Redden we traded in.

We have to get active in trades and get this list up to some sort of AFL standard without being premiership quality in the short term.

Lay everyone on the trade table except the following

Allen
Waterman
Yeo
McGovern
Reid
Hewitt
Long
Ginbey
Hough
Dewar
Bazzo
H Edwards
J Williams

Can't for the life of me thinks of anyone else.

The problem is the rest of our list nobody else would want except for Ryan and Barrass.
I would personally add Archer Reid.
Wouldn't even attract much in a trade until he plays some AFL.
He'll be a good player.
Same situation as Bazzo, who hasn't shown anything yet at AFL level with missing so much footy, but has potential.

Last edited:
Loser mentality makes us act out that everything is unrealistic. Aim high and settle for less. Offerimg 4 years to Graham before end of season just reeks of settling for less without going harder elsewhere for players
We have to take what we can get lmao
If we cut 10 players we arent finding 3-4 other players who are better than Graham to add for next to nothing

Based on recent history. More than one person calling the shots cob.
nice revisionist cob, you said with our current list manager, not the current regime.
own your stupidity.

there's literally no idea how clarke is going as list manager, beyond whom we have re-signed and who we haven't. Unless you are basing your opinion on the BF rumor mill. I'm not even defending him as there is nothing to defend or be upset about yet..

He got pushed out a bit with Coniglio back. Hes been very good when hes been able to be one of the main 3 guys in the middle. 20.75 touches and 8.5 tackles over the 4 games before this last game
Perfect mid for us. Apparently very keen on mid time so we would have to be up there in contention.

Flynn hasn’t lived up to his talent in the first year but hopefully he can turn that around next year but make this year recruitment worth while by being in Peatlings ear. Would’ve played a bit of magoos together at the Giants

We have to take what we can get lmao
If we cut 10 players we arent finding 3-4 other players who are better than Graham to add for next to nothing
Take what we can get shouldnt mean we ask the wooden spooners for a 25 year old. We should probaly scrape said barrel better then this

Lets look at a comparison. Riley Garcia vs Jack Graham. Similar players. One is younger, less injury prone with good VFL form . Under what circumstance should Riley Garcia not be a Eagles player instead of Jack Graham.

We need to find out how/why we cannot atteact these players. It should be a tap in at the cup in golf terms and we are missing out. It shoulldnt be a "oh well" . It should just be a culture thing we fix

We cant go into next year with Flynn as our only ruckman. Id rather chance Bailey going it alone than Flynn.

Cant trade Bailey unless we get in another ruckman who can play as the main ruck for most of the year, in the case Flynn is injured or shit
Yeah I guess if we target knobel or another actual ruckman Bailey would have to see the writing on the wall anyway

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Take what we can get shouldnt mean we ask the wooden spooners for a 25 year old. We should probaly scrape said barrel better then this

Lets look at a comparison. Riley Garcia vs Jack Graham. Similar players. One is younger, less injury prone with good VFL form . Under what circumstance should Riley Garcia not be a Eagles player instead of Jack Graham.

We need to find out how/why we cannot atteact these players. It should be a tap in at the cup in golf terms and we are missing out. It shoulldnt be a "oh well" . It should just be a culture thing we fix
Realistically we arent getting all the mids who get named here.
Garcia, Dev, Peatling, and whoever else ive missed. We might get 1 of them, very lucky to get a second.

Cut 9-10 players and we need to bring in at least 3-4 players from other clubs. Who tf else are we getting?
Clurey? Baker for pick 20ish? ??? who else?
There isnt that many good free agents left, and those ones are chasing success more than what we can give. Anybody else needs to be gettable, cheap, and a chance to be in our best 22 at some stage in 2025

Graham is still an upgrade on our best 22, just because he plays for the wooden spoon team doesnt make him an absolute spud who isnt AFL quality

I watched Lalor's last 2 games on the plane last night. If the club stays with pick 3 and Draper is gone, he's now my preference. I told people early in the year he would surge late season but I wasn't expecting him to come this far this quickly.
If we split our first and ended up with 7 or 8 do you think Lalor would still be there?

Realistically we arent getting all the mids who get named here.
Garcia, Dev, Peatling, and whoever else ive missed. We might get 1 of them, very lucky to get a second.

Cut 9-10 players and we need to bring in at least 3-4 players from other clubs. Who tf else are we getting?
Clurey? Baker for pick 20ish? ??? who else?
There isnt that many good free agents left, and those ones are chasing success more than what we can give. Anybody else needs to be gettable, cheap, and a chance to be in our best 22 at some stage in 2025

Graham is still an upgrade on our best 22, just because he plays for the wooden spoon team doesnt make him an absolute spud who isnt AFL quality
Realistically that isnt good enough.

If we cant talk one of Garcia/Dev/Peatling over then we have big big issues. I cant fathom as to how we shouldnt be Peatlings 1st choice. A 4 year offer on good coin, with a best 22 spot sewn up isnt something other clubs could offer. We should just look at what other clubs are offering and add on 500k to it to get it done

Lets get active and stop giving up cos it looks hard

Assuming the reports are correct, all these links to Richmond players are bullshit. Clarke needs to be told to step aside with any potential dealings with Richmond players, it’s not objective.

Been very unimpressed with his performance so far other than having the nuts to hold Barrass to his existing contract. If we get bent over by Hawthorn that too will be for nothing.

Silvagni was horrible bringing all the gws rubbish to carlton when he moved over from gws
That said I think Graham and baker both would add something, it's just the price

I’m not sure Garcia is less injury prone… granted he hasn’t had soft tissue injuries.

He also would have a cost attached in draft capital.

And yes, Richmond are the wooden spooners - however painting Graham as a mid in the worst side in the comp (whilst noting his injuries without irony) and ignoring he is a 2x premiership mid - who was unlucky not to be 3x is crazy.

He’d be a top 10-15 player for us, and it is up to the rest of our list to push him down that order if they can improve enough.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've done a list review. This took me all of two seconds.

Red - Gone (includes Barrrass for trade, Sheed for forced retirement)
Orange - Need to seriously consider cutting / trading (Ryan included if get decent offer)
Note No 1: haven't considered contract status, or anyone under 21 cause whatever.
Note No 2: haven't done the rucks, but ideally we'd blow the whole ruck division up and bring in some magical ruck that was good.

Leaves me 5 to be cut/gone in red, 9 in orange that bascially we need to cull a chunk of.

View attachment 2084383
Put Witherden and Rotham in red while you’re at it

I watched Lalor's last 2 games on the plane last night. If the club stays with pick 3 and Draper is gone, he's now my preference. I told people early in the year he would surge late season but I wasn't expecting him to come this far this quickly.
How do you get the replay so early mate? Or did you watch it live. Coates app don’t usually load the replays till early in the week.

Would he really have those stats if he played for us?
Probably not. I'm not even sold on him. But if he plays half the season in the WAFL and plays when we need a bigger body...

Loser mentality makes us act out that everything is unrealistic. Aim high and settle for less. Offerimg 4 years to Graham before end of season just reeks of settling for less without going harder elsewhere for players
Lol. Ok, lets go hard at Warner, Gawn, Petracca and others. See how we that goes.

We need to be realistic where we are. Cheap, available AFL ready bodies that we can use on occasion to protect our kids are required.

Again, players in the AFL can't be traded against their will. We should be open for such dumps, but we need to convince the unwanted players to move to perth and play for us. Not sure who they are.

Appreciate you clearing that up. Forced trades of contracted players was absolutely what I was suggesting.

Realistically that isnt good enough.

If we cant talk one of Garcia/Dev/Peatling over then we have big big issues. I cant fathom as to how we shouldnt be Peatlings 1st choice. A 4 year offer on good coin, with a best 22 spot sewn up isnt something other clubs could offer. We should just look at what other clubs are offering and add on 500k to it to get it done

Lets get active and stop giving up cos it looks hard
Saints are a club that can offer him guaranteed mid minutes, and with potentially 2 early picks theyll have a lot of good young players very soon. Plenty of cap space too

We cant go offering 500k extra to get players over lmao all of a sudden the rest of the team finds out and then everybody is wondering why this average player is on double the coin everybody else is on. Then you have real issues.

We might talk 1 of them over, but we need 3-4 players not just 1.

I really dont know what youre on about here we are not a destination club right now, and being on the other side of the country makes it even harder

Cal twomeny said he is a top 5 pick prospect. So that info comes from a club most likely.

Wow it's amazing to hear the assesment that he's done enough to match or exceed expectations. Thought his champs games might have worked against him and taken him down a peg.

While he has less runs on the board as a mid and he is likely a boom or bust type selection he is too good prospect. Has insanely high ceiling.

I think I'm coming around the idea of tier 2 selection being our first pick if FOS and Draper are not available to us.

So happy if we use first pick on Tobie or Lalor as long as we get an insurance mid with TB pick. Because the reality is either tobie or Lalor may be bust in mid. Also combine needs to show both tobie and Lalor being physically capable

Silvagni was horrible bringing all the gws rubbish to carlton when he moved over from gws
That said I think Graham and baker both would add something, it's just the price

I’d be ok with Graham on the proviso we don’t take Baker. Trading for then 27yo Baker with the sparse pick resources we have available would be the absolute height of stupidity and I think there will be some thing cooking with the Graham compo “helping” to pay for Baker. At least with Graham the only hit is to the hip pocket, and it’s a deep pocket.

If we do get priority picks I’d hope we’d be using them on Peatling, Davies and Garcia.

A decade of bottom 3 finishes looming.
nice revisionist cob, you said with our current list manager, not the current regime.
own your stupidity.

there's literally no idea how clarke is going as list manager, beyond whom we have re-signed and who we haven't. Unless you are basing your opinion on the BF rumor mill. I'm not even defending him as there is nothing to defend or be upset about yet..
Capital letters at the beginning of sentences and for proper nouns, cob. Own your stupidity.

Saints are a club that can offer him guaranteed mid minutes, and with potentially 2 early picks theyll have a lot of good young players very soon. Plenty of cap space too

We cant go offering 500k extra to get players over lmao all of a sudden the rest of the team finds out and then everybody is wondering why this average player is on double the coin everybody else is on. Then you have real issues.

We might talk 1 of them over, but we need 3-4 players not just 1.

I really dont know what youre on about here we are not a destination club right now, and being on the other side of the country makes it even harder
In what way are we not ahead of St Kilda? St Kilda on the ass end of the ladder too. If we have reached a point where St Kilda is a better destination club then ours, we are simply not doing enough to win people over. It strikes me almost as a cultural issue that we would be seen as worse then St Kilda as a club

No chance GWS would refuse what Peatling wants over a 2 spot trade difference so thats a non issue

We should still be a destination club for what we can offer people off field and lifestyle wise. If Peatlings girlfriend wants a job in the mines scratching her rear end then sort it out for her. We need to get aggressive and stop pretending we cant do more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back